New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #67
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I won't buy another car without adaptive cruise control, it's just too damn nice to have for traffic, highways, etc. When I get cars at work I am reminded of when I had to constantly adjust cruise control up and down to follow cars. When I can have fun, I like to have fun with my car, but when it's in traffic or just cruising, it's a godsend.
      03-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #68
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Autocruise is worthless too. The cruise distance is so far that with the traffic 90% of the time yould never move. Short follow distance should be 2 car lengths not 6.
Ah, basically the distance in which you can't possibly stop.
      03-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #69
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

so anyone driving up from philly to jersey on 95. picture what the lanes look like + the way people drive there. you think a self driving car has a chance
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #70
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Touch screen main controls in cars. . . It is SOOOO much more distracting to have to look and touch a screen then to find a tactile knob, lever, or button when you know where it physically is at all times.

Texting while driving is illegal because it's distracting. . . When it's easier to text then to set your heat to 73 degrees you know there is a problem lol.
Appreciate 1
-BEASTMW-158.00
      03-05-2017, 03:45 AM   #71
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Back to the tech basics. Moonroof adds weight. Always wanted it before the 530i, the 545i, now 750xi. I never really use it.

Headlight washing system is stupid. Fog lights do nothing anymore when you are on Xenon or higher (LED, Laser).

Folding mirrors is stupid. The mirrors don't stick out that far to matter unless you are a precision parking expert and those few inches make a difference between rubbing and not.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #72
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ah, basically the distance in which you can't possibly stop.
Basically the distance that everyone else is at so you don't have a constant stream of other cars cutting you off and making you autobrake every 5 seconds. That's what my experience of 100k miles in a vehicle with autocruise was. I had to disable it every time i got into the car as it was automatically enabled. Maybe on open no traffic roads of the midwest it was a value but not in the state fo Florida anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #73
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I have my 335i set up for folding mirrors so I can visually check if its locked. If they included a beep of the horn or similar when you lock it I wouldn't need the mirrors folding. But since I didn't get the optional security system, its been helpful. I'd still prefer the beep though.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #74
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's impressive though how the Tesla kept itself under control and within its lane after the crash. A human driver likely would've ended up in the opposite lane with the Jeep being screwed too.

With that being said, I'm really not sure of how I feel about autonomous driving systems. In theory it sounds great, but can we really count on a computer to be flawless 100% of the time? Who's at fault when an accident does occur? Plus it has the potential to be abused, as shown in this clip. Tesla says to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, but it's been well documented that many Tesla drivers are not doing this.
Here's a philosophical question: Does the computer that drives autonomously have "to be flawless 100% of the time" or just better than a human driver who does not have that 100% record?
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #75
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Basically the distance that everyone else is at so you don't have a constant stream of other cars cutting you off and making you autobrake every 5 seconds. That's what my experience of 100k miles in a vehicle with autocruise was. I had to disable it every time i got into the car as it was automatically enabled. Maybe on open no traffic roads of the midwest it was a value but not in the state fo Florida anywhere.
You probably had an older car with old gen software. Autocruise is much better now. Rarely does anyone cut in on front of me and I use it every day during rush hour both ways. I mean every Tesla owner uses AP and many many of them are in the LA area where traffic is crazy and there are few if any complaints on forums. Honestly, AP makes driving in traffic soooo much easier...

Basically at low speeds, newest autocruise will follow at close distances and only allow the distance to grow as cars pick up speed, very similar to human drivers. Really not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #76
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
then get a different car if it matters that much.

So you're actually suggesting that folks should buy cars based on accessories instead of the car itself?

What was that old expression about the cart and horse and the order of each?

So much for choice eh?

BMW is far better than most...but many BMW's sold are also special order....toyota is one of the worst on glomming stuff onto cars and making it only avail as part of an entire trim level/package increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #77
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

2013 model. Not a tesla but also im not a fan of not being involved. I use cruise so my leg doesn't cramp on days I drive 8+ hours, which is often. Guess uts a tesla thing. Most cruise don't function at under 25 mph. The Auto cruise function I had gave you the option of 6-12 car lengths of follow distance. Useless.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #78
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post

With regards to the driverless thing, there are a couple of points here.

If people actually paid attention to not just the car in front, but a few cars in front, things would go a lot smoother. Let's take accelerating from a stop for example. You have an accordion effect going on. Car in front goes, small delay, next car, small delay, next car and so on. In a perfect world, all cars that are stopped would accelerate at nearly the same rate, at the same time, gradually increasing distance as speed increases. Distances between cars would remain constant, and the reverse is true when slowing.
Unfortunately, that perfect world can't exist with human reaction times, but it's nice to hope I suppose. You can read in this thread where people would rather tailgate and not be a be able to react, so there's no way to win. At least with auto-driving cars there may not be as much of a delay here, as someone is checking their phone, changing stations, daydreaming...
      03-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #79
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
lol...is it fun living that uptight and worried about what everyone else is doing?

So let me get this straight, it's better to follow close enough that you wouldn't be able to react so you'd rear-end the guy in front? Awesome...you win.
      03-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #80
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Un i follow the same distance as every other car on the road. Where I drive thats 2 car lengths at 84 mph. Its a highway. Exits are 20 miles apart. Cars are in 1 mile long blocks spaced that far apart. I typically go as fast or faster than everyone else. If you leave a 3 car length space, someone jumps in and you have a 1 car length space. Car brakes automatically and makes another space. More jump in and you brake more. Pretty soon you're at the tail end of the pack instead of the front cruising on open pavement for a half mile till you catch the next pack. I've driven in this traffic for over 30 yrs. I've driven this way the whole time covering the better part of 1mm miles. Never a problem. Why? Because I look multiple car lengths agead and anticipate problems and because I don't leave large spaces for other idiots to cut me off. Where do you drive? I drive Florida and Northeast. I did drive for 6 months in Kansas etc. Totally different traffic, driver mentality. It would work there. Not here.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #81
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Did you not just contradict yourself there? Do people only not pay attention to things in front of them, but have perfect peripheral vision and actually head check when changing lanes?

With regards to the driverless thing, there are a couple of points here.

If people actually paid attention to not just the car in front, but a few cars in front, things would go a lot smoother. Let's take accelerating from a stop for example. You have an accordion effect going on. Car in front goes, small delay, next car, small delay, next car and so on. In a perfect world, all cars that are stopped would accelerate at nearly the same rate, at the same time, gradually increasing distance as speed increases. Distances between cars would remain constant, and the reverse is true when slowing.

But no. You've got people that follow too closely, or well back, in the passing lanes when not passing, or otherwise not on the far right (or left depending on country) when appropriate. You've got unnecessary braking, which people behind overreact to and subsequently brake, causing that accordion effect once again.

You've got gapers delays. You've got sun delays. You've got people that don't know how to handle a blowout. You've got people that don't maintain their vehicles at all. You've got summer tires on in the winter or winters on when it gets too warm.

Yes, one or a few driverless cars won't make things better. But for the occupants of that car, it probably will make things a bit safer once the tech matures a bit more.

As for the tech in general, for the most part, it's all defeatable. Don't want auto wipers? Don't turn it on. Don't want lane departure, don't use it. Don't want navigation? Don't buy it or use it when it's standard.

Headlight washing is stupid? When you're driving in a light, fresh rain and all the crap on the road cakes on your headlamps and diminishes your light output, that's stupid? You going to pull over every 10 miles and wipe them off yourself?

The nannys are there because people, generally speaking, are stupid. Sure, there are those that are a bit more aware of their surroundings, but there have been plenty that aren't. There were just over 35,000 deaths in the US from traffic accidents. 4.4 million injuries.

Everyone bitches about nannies and insurance costs. You can't have it both ways.
How did I contradict myself? Blind spot monitoring only beeps to alert you of something while automatic braking (hence automatic) stops the car for you. So I don't see what you're reading from that.

Most of the time people can't pay attention to car in front of them. As if you're behind a 18 wheeler or box truck or truck in general if you're driving on a flat, straight road. You can't just move a little to the left or right to see around the vehicle. But I agree. If people who pay attention to the cars in front of the car their behind, things would go much smoother.

And all those people who leave gaps or accelerate so slow you could walk past them make traffic congestion what it is now. Or those that put the gas pedal to the floor when you're creeping along at 10 mph and the car in front of them stops and they slam on their brakes, then it causes others to have an accident behind them.

You also have blinding sun delays from water being on the ground and people not using sunglasses. People who brake for the dumbest reason, as in they're moving along at 60 MPH with no one in front of them for miles. Sun light then beams into their eyes and they are on the brakes.....idiots. Not everyone thinks the same and are car savvy or drive the like you or I.

Thats why I said it's great technology but when it's forced into a package or as standard is when it's asinine. Let the consumer choose what they want, because when you have.....lets say lane departure warning, you get used to it beeping at you. Then you drive a car that doesn't have it and you're all over the road.

Some of it is but not all can be simply turned off. Auto wipers? It's still auto and you can't turn if off. Tried it numerous times. Put it on a constant wipe (by manually doing so with it auto part "off"), drive past a semi that's spraying up water and the sensor will sense it and the wipers will go bat shit crazy. It's easy to not use any feature you don't want to use but some you HAVE to turn off every time you start the vehicle.

Honestly, the headlight fluid this is a toss up. I barely use it because I know how it's activated and on all of the other vehicles I drive...I live in Washington where we get rain all the time...and I never have any issues seeing nor does my wife. I always wipe the headlights down and still will. Travelling is part of my business too and driving on snowy, mushy roads or dirt roads have never been an issue. I've lived and driven down unlit back roads and dirt roads for years. It only takes a few seconds for you to wipe the headlights down with a rag and water.

And all those nannies aren't going to decrease it by that much. Because people will get use to all that tech and then accidents will go right back up.

Only nannies that are needed are traction and stability controls.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #82
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I have weak control of brake and throttle, so I tried Eco-pro one day, and went up to drive through. At some point the car had turned off and I didn't know it, since auto-stop was returned back on.

With my quivering foot on the brake, car restarted, pealed out, and as I tried to regain control, foot was half on brake and gas setting up a laUNCH situation. I had to yank the emergency brake becuase everytime I tried to take foot off throttle the brake got loose, too.

I now have a MOMO braKE STICK, which is great because I have instant brake control instead of hovering the foot over to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #83
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

4G LTE.

Who really needs this in their vehicle? As far as I'm concerned, it's only good as a value-adding feature to otherwise shitty American vehicles that come overpriced from the factory.

Like, who cares if you have an LTE connection in your vehicle if the car itself has issues? Instead of focusing on making better cars, American car manufacturers are more concerned with appealing to millennials and their families. This is counterproductive if you ask me.
      03-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #84
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You can just use the high beams.
Not sure about your experience driving through one lane roads through the woods at night, but high beams are not gonna help on a turn or a bend. The adaptive headlights are amazing in these types of scenarios. Speaking from vast experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #85
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Automatic windshield wipers = dumb
Automatic cruise = dumb
Blind monitoring anything = dumb
Navigation = is pointless this day and age with Smart phone and handheld nav's. Especially since handheld nav's can come with free map updates.
Electric steering wheel adjustment = dumb
Auto high beams = dumb
Wifi = dumb
Electric parking brake = dumb
Rear heated/cooled seats = ....meh
Foot activated trunk = ....as long as it's optional
Tire pressure monitoring system = only good if it tells you which tire is low and not....low tire pressure.
Front left and front right camera's = good only for people who live down a driveway with a blind entrance to their house

Backup camera = I can live with and would be helpful when parking backwards
Heated/Cooled Seats = both work wonders. Now, if they could make the metal seat belt part in something that won't give you 1st degree burns would be awesome
Auto braking = is very good since people don't pay attention nowadays
Self dimming mirrors = awesome
Remote start = awesome
Headlights that turn when you turn = are great for dark roads or poorly lit areas

I'm sure there is more I'm missing but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm down for the technology to be there but as long as it's an option. Unlike the Chevrolet SS that comes STANDARD with useless technology. Take away all that tech and the car could be $5k less, at least.

When that useless tech is forced onto the consumer, then it makes them less aware of doing what you're suppose to be doing....driving and paying attention!
Handheld navis maybe. But smartphones are useless when there is no signal.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #86
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

And as far as auto-braking is concerned:

If I'm driving 120km/h on the highway, and my sensor fails, causing the car to slam on the brakes thinking there is a vehicle ahead of me when really there isn't. My car will go from 120 to 0 in the absolute quickest possible time. This will cause cars behind me to freak out and likely crash into me as they aren't expecting me to come to a complete stop on the highway for no reason whatsoever.

My point is - what happens if auto-braking fails? are the potential consequences worth the perceived ability to pay less attention to what is ahead of you while driving? If you need a feature like this on your vehicle, then I suggest you avoid driving cars altogether.
      03-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #87
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Handheld navis maybe. But smartphones are useless when there is no signal.
Get a real provider then. I have Verizon. Haven't lost signal ever in whole state of Florida. My friends with at&t, sprint, and t-mobile crap out all the time. I gave up on car navs in 2004. They go out of date rapidly and new maps cost more than a new gps. Unless or until new maps come free from the dealer, they're junk as far as I'm concerned. I use waze now most. Tells me where the cops are. Add that to the factory nav and we're talking.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #88
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Un i follow the same distance as every other car on the road. Where I drive thats 2 car lengths at 84 mph.
That is flipping insane. No way I'd ever drive on that. I'd rather live.