New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 30i 6spd

Window replacement labor?

My car was recently broken into (smashed pass. side door window) and I decided to drop it off at my dealership for the repair as I'd been told by multiple people at my insurance company (State Farm) and the dealer SA that there has never been an issue with insurance compensation disputes. I'd prefer to have someone more familiar with the car taking it apart, though the procedure tends to be fairly straightforward on later BMWs. The insurance company gave me a check for ~$370, and the dealership predictably gave me an estimate of $954 comprising of parts ($170), shop charge ($60), and labor ($724/4 hrs). Though I'd been led to believe that the disparity should not be an issue and stupidly bought that a supplement was all but a sure thing, insurance came back and said they'd only cover 1 hr of labor (vs. 4 hours quoted by dealer). AFAIK, the regulator is fine. Does anyone have any experience with door window replacement on these car or dealing with insurance companies' low estimates while using a shop of your own choosing? The policy seems a bit vague on this issue. Any insight would be appreciated; thanks.

Last edited by NA Fanatic; 01-17-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Whenever I've brought a car in to fix damage, the repair shop always works with the insurance company so that they are both in agreement about the repair cost. If your dealer is unwilling to do that, look elsewhere. Anyone can do this repair.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

And also what you Insurance company has quoted is not always the bench price. Since you have taken this to a dealer then they are the experts on the matter so if you had to litigate this this one would not be in the favor of the insurance company from the start. I never go into an argument with the mention of lawyer but i always sneak it in convos like this.

"Both you and I know that the dealer I took this vehicle to are the experts in the vehicle so their estimate to repair the windows seems more inline with the actual costs. And from a logic stand point it is hard to believe that someone can take the door panels apart and reassemble them in just the 1 hour you have allowed for this job. You guys need to write me a check for the entire job not just a small portion of it. Neither you nor me needs to have lawyers get involved wouldn't you agree? So do i need to get one now for this conversation to continue?"

But just be careful if you play that card you have to willing to back it up. I would say that if you have a conversation with your adjuster and they are unwilling to budge then getting a consult may be in order. Insurance companies are always going to nickel and dime you when ever they can. Their job is to make profits not necessarily repair your car.

But keep in mind that you paid them for a service, which was to repair your vehicle in the event that something like this happens to it. If they do not do so then they are on the hook legally for breach in contract.
      01-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 30i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Whenever I've brought a car in to fix damage, the repair shop always works with the insurance company so that they are both in agreement about the repair cost. If your dealer is unwilling to do that, look elsewhere. Anyone can do this repair.
Yeah, that definitely would have been a better plan (and a plan, period). Unfortunately, the dealer was unwilling to communicate with my insurance company and the work has already started. My reluctance comes from State Farm's glass shop being a third-rate windshield shop that installed and didn't perfectly align the new window--a Chinese one of poorer construction--on the daily beater. Thanks for the advice and I'll be using it next time (though hopefully there isn't one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
And also what you Insurance company has quoted is not always the bench price. Since you have taken this to a dealer then they are the experts on the matter so if you had to litigate this this one would not be in the favor of the insurance company from the start. I never go into an argument with the mention of lawyer but i always sneak it in convos like this.

"Both you and I know that the dealer I took this vehicle to are the experts in the vehicle so their estimate to repair the windows seems more inline with the actual costs. And from a logic stand point it is hard to believe that someone can take the door panels apart and reassemble them in just the 1 hour you have allowed for this job. You guys need to write me a check for the entire job not just a small portion of it. Neither you nor me needs to have lawyers get involved wouldn't you agree? So do i need to get one now for this conversation to continue?"

But just be careful if you play that card you have to willing to back it up. I would say that if you have a conversation with your adjuster and they are unwilling to budge then getting a consult may be in order. Insurance companies are always going to nickel and dime you when ever they can. Their job is to make profits not necessarily repair your car.

But keep in mind that you paid them for a service, which was to repair your vehicle in the event that something like this happens to it. If they do not do so then they are on the hook legally for breach in contract.
Very helpful advice, thank you. I ended up getting the insurance co. to pay for all but one hour of labor based on their premise of only covering labor rates for a body shop under these circumstances whereas the dealership is charging its mechanical labor rate. They just weren't going to budge more and were more stubborn than even I thought they'd be, and I called it over and done with then. The dealer additionally took off $50, and while it's tempting to reciprocate insurance ball busting after paying my way with them, it's just not financially justifiable to bring in legal counsel at that point

I mirrored what you mentioned here and it was effective, the pointers are appreciated!
Appreciate 0