New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I dont' disagree with you about the SLK but I was referencing the above comments comparing the Z4 with the M3. Base M3 vert is 68K, just 4K more than the 35is. The M3 is a lot more performance car in many ways, but it can also be a daily driver, fetching groceries and hauling the kids around,etc. Not so easy with the Z4. Hence the "want" factor and the ability by BMW to up the cost.
Omg I had to transport a set of crutches (rolled my ankle) in the z this morning and it was a squeeze. Passenger seat totally used up. Vs over the weekend I just tossed them in the back of the 3 series with room to spare.

I'm totally living with the consequences of that"want" factor right now. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I dont' disagree with you about the SLK but I was referencing the above comments comparing the Z4 with the M3. Base M3 vert is 68K, just 4K more than the 35is. The M3 is a lot more performance car in many ways, but it can also be a daily driver, fetching groceries and hauling the kids around,etc. Not so easy with the Z4. Hence the "want" factor and the ability by BMW to up the cost.
What I ended up doing was buying the 35is and the 335i both, back to back. Trust me when I say I see the advantages of both. The 335i is the far better every day driver and has room to spare for running errands, picking up groceries and the like. On the flip side to that, I have very little desire to drive my 335i up the Central Coast for a weekend. To me, nothing beats a spirited top down drive up the Central California Coast up to Big Sur and Monterey than the Z4. It goes just as fast as those windy roads will allow. If I wanted raw power to spare, I probably would have kept my Corvette. As for the M3-- I have for years tried to like the M3, but to me, it's a very fast sedan, but boring in the looks department. While it has a lot of get up and go, it's not the car I want to have for driving up the coast, even if it was the convertible. I guess all of that being said, that's why I spent too much on a Z4. I just wish BMW would push it a bit more because I worry about the longevity of this line.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
fl_cyclist
At the Beach or On the Road
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 z4 35is  [0.00]
Unless your single I don't see a roadster as a good one car solution. My wife has a Q5 so we are covered for visits to Costco, moving kids to college and other things you need space for. Then I get to drive the Z to work and we can take it to the beach on the weekends, just me and the wife. Good excuse to get some time alone.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Looks aside the SLK55 AMG is FAR FAR more car than a 35iS.
Wow, what a statement! Have you actually driven one? Aren't you forgetting how easy it is to bring the N54 up to the same power level as that NA V8?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-b.../55-amg-driven

Last edited by Asbjorn; 05-28-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

But anyways, getting back on the original topic, I wonder why the BMW Corporate machine is so reluctant to market the Z4 properly. When I go to the dealer, there are scarcely any Z4 brochures. In fact, I never did get a 2012 brochure to go with my car. When I was inquiring about it, they showed me the M3, the M5, and every other car on the lot and I had to pry information on the Z4 out of the salesman. It was almost as if they were reluctant to sell me one. I just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

The car really is rare. Although I saw a white 35is a couple months that someone had brought to get serviced. I wouldn't say it's the red-headed stepchild because obviously we still get the same service as everyone else. I feel more like the adopted kid. Our "parents" love us all the same, but something's missing, we'll always feel out of place :P
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
You realize that an SLK55 is only 3.5k more base than a 35iS. Your logic is off.when you say similarly equipped cars. Looks aside the SLK55 AMG is FAR FAR more car than a 35iS.

To compete with a SLK55 a fictional e89 Z4M would cost between 80-85k. a good 12-17k more than a SLK55. Its lucky the SLK looks like crap bc if it was reverse and the BMW was the dog and the MB was the looker.. NOBODY not ONE person would chose a 35iS vs a full blown AMG car for what makes no difference in price.
I'm not sure about 35is' OTD price since I only have a 35i, so I'm not clear on the price compare for 35is vs the AMG. Anyway, it's funny when I was shopping for my car that I didn't even consider the Merc, probably because the new SLK didn't come out and the old one was looking quite stale. Ironically, imo the old one looked better, so I suppose also that the image of only old rich dudes owning MBs was in the back of my mind and I never even test drove their cars. Just visited their site and a similarly-priced Merc to the 35i would also be their middle trim, i.e. SLK350. It only comes w/ a true A/T, I believe, so that was another turn-off.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Wow, what a statement! Have you actually driven one? Aren't you forgetting how easy it is to bring the N54 up to the same power level as that NA V8?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-b.../55-amg-driven
Dont worrz I drank the coolaid too I have my 35iS downstairs. One doesnt purchase a z4 for its engine, a Z4 is purchased because its a Z4, one buys a 35i/35is over a 2.8/3.0 because they wanted the power to go for its looks.

I doubt many if offered the exact same Z4 one a stock 35iS the other with underpinnings of the SLK55 (limited slip diff/torque vectoring breaking/drilled and vented 14.2/13 422bhp 5.5 liter V8/ AMG exhaust).

Its shame the SLK looks so bland even in AMG from next to Z4 as there is some seriously great tech they are offering that that would cost a BOMB to replicate on a Z4 from either bmw or aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Stock vs modified comparisons are problematic. I would bet on the durability of the OEM car over a tuner special any day. Not a concern for a few highway pulls but huge concern for extended canyon drives or track days.

When I check the out the door price of the amg slk55 was higher than z4. Hard to get a deal on those amg in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #32
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Problem in US they are only selling top of the range z4.
Here in the UK the smaller engined 23i and 30 abound.
I will see at least 2 or 3 every morning on the way to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Is that because BMW is not offering it? I have no idea. Getting any info out of the BMW dealer was like pulling teeth. When I finally decided on the 35is, it was only after I did my own research on the web. The dealer didn't provide me any info and really didn't outline my available options.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
But anyways, getting back on the original topic, I wonder why the BMW Corporate machine is so reluctant to market the Z4 properly. When I go to the dealer, there are scarcely any Z4 brochures. In fact, I never did get a 2012 brochure to go with my car. When I was inquiring about it, they showed me the M3, the M5, and every other car on the lot and I had to pry information on the Z4 out of the salesman. It was almost as if they were reluctant to sell me one. I just don't get it.
I guess part of that depends on the dealer. When I was shopping around in Hawaii, one of the salesmen had a Z so he talked my head off about it (Never saw a single one on the road though). Even when I test drove cars while visiting family on the east coast, I found a dealer 40min away in PA that had plenty Z4s in stock, in every engine size - one was even a 6spd.

Now living in Monterey, there's usually a few at the dealership. And because it's kind of a car town here, I typically see the same 3-4 daily driving throughout the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Doesn't the 23i have like 200hp?

That would be a tough sell in the US since family haulers like camry v6 have 265hp and can do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds

Last edited by nicknaz; 05-28-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #36
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
I doubt many if offered the exact same Z4 one a stock 35iS the other with underpinnings of the SLK55 (limited slip diff/torque vectoring breaking/drilled and vented 14.2/13 422bhp 5.5 liter V8/ AMG exhaust).
To most roadster owners, the only thing that makes a difference is that NA V8 AMG sound. So does that sound alone mean the AMG is worth the extra charge.

Probably yes.

Does it also mean it is a FAR FAR better car than the 35is, even if we ignore the difference in looks?

I do not think so, not at all...

And cheers btw! (Sipping Kool-aid)

Back on topic. It seems BMW is much more concerned with expanding their SUV offerings and moving into 3-cyl / hybrid / electic compact cars than making competitors to the Miatas, SL and R8 / SLS-roadsters of the world. And it is certainly not very encouraging when a sales rep acts like he forgot the Z-series even exists.

One could say it is sad. But it seems BMW is the only luxury car manufacturer in the world that does not really need a roadster or supercar in its lineup to maintain an image of knowing how to provide sheer driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #37
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
One could say it is sad. But it seems BMW is the only luxury car manufacturer in the world that does not really need a roadster or supercar in its lineup to maintain an image of knowing how to provide sheer driving pleasure.
Oh, the irony in that.

Also, with their plans on releasing the i8, I would call that a super car, especially if it's going to most likely cost well over $100,000.

(Being devil's advocate here)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #38
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Back on topic. It seems BMW is much more concerned with expanding their SUV offerings and moving into 3-cyl / hybrid / electic compact cars than making competitors to the Miatas, SL and R8 / SLS-roadsters of the world. And it is certainly not very encouraging when a sales rep acts like he forgot the Z-series even exists.

None of this bodes well for the survival of the Z roadster line. I love the Z4 and hope we don't get left behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Fingers crossed all the lightweight construction and high power density small engine tech from the i3 and i8 trickles into a next gen Z

8lb/hp in the form of 2800lbs carbon fiber intensive fixed roof car with front mid ship 350hp 4cyl turbo would be amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #40
Paul S
Rep
Drives: 35i M sport

Quote:
You realize that an SLK55 is only 3.5k more base than a 35iS. Your logic is off.when you say similarly equipped cars. Looks aside the SLK55 AMG is FAR FAR more car than a 35iS.

To compete with a SLK55 a fictional e89 Z4M would cost between 80-85k. a good 12-17k more than a SLK55. Its lucky the SLK looks like crap bc if it was reverse and the BMW was the dog and the MB was the looker.. NOBODY not ONE person would chose a 35iS vs a full blown AMG car for what makes no difference in price.
Well, I'd be that one person. Setting aside the fact that the SLK55 is dog ugly, it has flaws too. The seats being uncomfortable and not having sufficient forward movement to enable my wife to reach the kick-down point on the gas pedal to name but one. (The performance isn't all that either-certainly nowhere near Audi's RS models.) Mercedes must be desperate to sell cos they offered us a test drive which would have lasted a full week over the Christmas break. We were so disappointed with the overall package we couldn't even be bothered to take that offer up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Another thing, where does the "chick car" stigma come from? I haven't seen another E89 on the road, but I do know of 3 E86 Ms that are all driven by males in my area. The Porsche Boxster is a lot more common here, but that's honestly 50/50 when it comes to gender.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
Another thing, where does the "chick car" stigma come from? I haven't seen another E89 on the road, but I do know of 3 E86 Ms that are all driven by males in my area. The Porsche Boxster is a lot more common here, but that's honestly 50/50 when it comes to gender.
Many cars carry this stigma... I have heard everything from chick car to a car for alternate lifestyles. Miata-- same thing. Even mini-Coopers to an extent. I've heard it before, I simply don't GAF.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #43
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yeah, when a friend mentioned that I said "Look, I don't know about you, but I'm a straight guy. If I drive something that girls actually know and are into, I count that as a good thing." Plus, girls just generally seem to have a better taste when it comes to aesthetics!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
wparente
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I find that the guys that think a Z4 is a chick car are muscle car types that think unless it's got a V8 in it and can't do anything other than a 1/4 mile time, it useless. They wouldn't know a decent handling, good looking car if it bit them in the ars. I bought mine because I like the way it looks even if I own a Harley and hang with the muscle car guys!