New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
timber511
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z435IS

say goodbye to my bmwz435is in three weeks

After owing the bmw Z435is for app two years, finally traded in and got a
2012 porsche Cayman R . Z is a great car, good looking ,fast stright line and strong motor. My Z has kw v3 suspension and front and back sway bars .
The kw suspension really help the Z in term of the handing . It reduce a lot of bodyroll and understeering. Stock Z4 is way too soft to be consider as a
sport car. My car come with active steering wheel which makes steering really numb and i really hate it . Last year, i got a change to test dr
a pdk Porsche Cayman R , the car really give me a lot of fun. It is not pulling as strong as Z4 at low rpm, you have to rev it up to get the most of power.
The car handles good, makes right noise. I did not traded in my Z in that time b/c Cayman R cost more than 100k in toronto and dealer unable to give me a
good trade in price. Last month , I saw there is one Porsche Cayman R for sale In porsche victoria Dealer. car comes with PDK,NAVI,SPORT EXHAUST,BUCKET SEAT, CEREMIC BRAKE,SPORT CHORO PLUS PACKGE. was so excited ,b/c that's all the packages i want. Cld them and they actually give me a very good trade in value for my Z4 compare to most of toronto dealer. Right now ,the car is on the train and will be in toronto in 3 weeks.
I can still enjoy my bmw Z4 for the next 3 weeks. I will miss your guys
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Congrats on the new ride.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber511 View Post
Stock Z4 is way too soft to be consider as a
sport car.
You will really be missed around here.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Malfunction
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche GTS

Congrats! The Cayman is a super nice ride.

The Cayman was on my short list, but I wanted a roadster and hard top. Around here, I would have only been able to afford the regular cayman/boxster not the S version. Which is what actually competes with the Z4is.

Good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Yes congratz on the new Porsche and good luck with it for sure!

Most people here will of course think you are giving up on a lot for that extra steering feel and reduction of understeer, but I think I understand what you are seeking.

In the Cayman you sit closer to the front wheels and alot of the weight is behind you, so the front can move around more freely. Turning the steering wheel in a Cayman will feel very intense and the reaction is almost the opposite of what you get in the Z4.

In the Z4 the front end can basically go through a slalom while the rear end, where the driver is sitting, barely strays from a straight line. The feeling in such a situation will be that of driving a rather lazy (non-sports) car, because you will never actually know how much the front end just went through.

But then there is a catch. Because for me I do not think the cayman, or any other center-engined coupes, will ever be as fun to drive on (power) over-steer. Because in the Z4 you just feel the rear-wheels better. If the rear end slides, it will feel more intense in a Z4 than in almost any other cars. And it is a wonderful feeling when you learn how to control it. But I realize that most people dont drive their Z4 that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Cayman R is sweet but you owe yourself a test drive in the new Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
=)
      05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Good choice OP. Agreed the Cayman is the better "track missile". I hope to join you in p-car land as well
Appreciate 0