New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

'Engine Malfunction. Reduced Speed'. No issues found.

This morning I drove my Z4 2.5 miles and stopped at Starbucks. Even before I turned off the engine, message 'Engine Malfunction. Reduced Speed. Contact Service' was displayed. 'Check Control' displayed 'OK'. I contacted Service and they insisted I drop off the car for checkup. They checked everything and no issues were found. They contacted BMW North America. BMW thinks it might be a faulty sensor. They advised to clear the errors and release the vehicle to me. They didn't replace the sensor. They said they will if it happens again.

I am wondering if this is because of the music I was playing. I bought 'The Dark Knight Rises' CD and was playing 'Rise' at full volume. Music is Epic. But CD mastering was bad with excessive gain levels. When I was playing this track at full volume, the car shook a little bit. A few seconds later the error message was displayed. Wondering if the volume caused the sensor to go off. Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

very strange with the music issue - first thing I thought was HPFP problem but surely that is not the case on a 2011 model. and, you had no loss of power at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Weird. I'm surprised you can play music at max... mine is so freaking loud I don't even play it at maximum when I'm doing 80 with the top down.

In my old Z3 once had a cam shaft sensor go bad. It kills power to the engine... which gets interesting when you're driving on the highway.

Did the dealership have anything to say about the possible vibration from the music? You could always try to vibrate the heck out of your car again, and see if the problem recurs.
Searching this and other forums has helped me with almost all of my other weird problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah View Post
This morning I drove my Z4 2.5 miles and stopped at Starbucks. Even before I turned off the engine, message 'Engine Malfunction. Reduced Speed. Contact Service' was displayed. 'Check Control' displayed 'OK'. I contacted Service and they insisted I drop off the car for checkup. They checked everything and no issues were found. They contacted BMW North America. BMW thinks it might be a faulty sensor. They advised to clear the errors and release the vehicle to me. They didn't replace the sensor. They said they will if it happens again.

I am wondering if this is because of the music I was playing. I bought 'The Dark Knight Rises' CD and was playing 'Rise' at full volume. Music is Epic. But CD mastering was bad with excessive gain levels. When I was playing this track at full volume, the car shook a little bit. A few seconds later the error message was displayed. Wondering if the volume caused the sensor to go off. Any thoughts ?
Hi Cuddapah,
Today, driving my 2012 35is, 3000miles on it. I went about 1mile, my phone rang in the car and I answered it. Instantly my engine malfunction light came on and it went into limp mode saying reduced power.
I drove it back home and shut it off. Started it back up about 2 hrs later and no warning anymore.
I don't know what the heck happened but it sure doesn't give me a very good feeling about the car.
Taking it in on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv Z View Post
Hi Cuddapah,
Today, driving my 2012 35is, 3000miles on it. I went about 1mile, my phone rang in the car and I answered it. Instantly my engine malfunction light came on and it went into limp mode saying reduced power.
I drove it back home and shut it off. Started it back up about 2 hrs later and no warning anymore.
I don't know what the heck happened but it sure doesn't give me a very good feeling about the car.
Taking it in on Tuesday.
Today I drove around 300miles without any issues. Tomorrow I am going to play 'Rise' at full volume and see if the issue surfaces again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv Z View Post
Hi Cuddapah,
Taking it in on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah
Today I drove around 300miles without any issues. Tomorrow I am going to play 'Rise' at full volume and see if the issue surfaces again.
Full volume?! You aren't gonna hear s**t in a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

how hard where you driving and what was the temperature of the engine oil? Could it have been "limp mode" ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Nv Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Engine malfunction

Took mine in. It had a couple of codes stored but the guy didn't know what they meant. They put in a software upgrade and cleared the codes. He said they couldn't find anything wrong.
Doesn't make me feel real warm and fuzzy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
how hard where you driving and what was the temperature of the engine oil? Could it have been "limp mode" ?
I wasn't driving. I stopped (in Park mode) and was playing music loud when this message showed up :-(

So far I didn't get the message again.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
tssalgado
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

My 35is with a little over 3k miles had this problem 3x this month alone, and still with the service center up to now. 1st, solenoid valve was replaced. The 2nd time, they replaced the exhaust vanos unit. 3rd, I still don't know what's the problem. I never felt any difference with the performance or lost of power. The warning message disappears whenever I restart the engine. I am also thinking of faulty sensor, and maybe the after market 8" subwoofer that I added with heavy bass music is the culprit. Could it be?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

To really check if it's the music, get some dub step going. The heavy bass should rattle every bolt in the car (and the fillings out of your teeth).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear that. So far my car had this issue 7 times. I am sure it is not the last .. see this thread for more info:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814229
Each time one part or the other is replaced and fault codes were reset. That will give 2-3 months for the issue to show up again. Frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssalgado View Post
My 35is with a little over 3k miles had this problem 3x this month alone, and still with the service center up to now. 1st, solenoid valve was replaced. The 2nd time, they replaced the exhaust vanos unit. 3rd, I still don't know what's the problem. I never felt any difference with the performance or lost of power. The warning message disappears whenever I restart the engine. I am also thinking of faulty sensor, and maybe the after market 8" subwoofer that I added with heavy bass music is the culprit. Could it be?
Appreciate 0