New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #67
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Ive had vizios for the last 6-7 years with no issues.

FWIW, Vizio LCDs were made by LG and rebranded and Plasmas were made by Panasonic back in the day. Not sure if they still are.
While I don't doubt that this may be true, wouldn't the tech specs and picture quality be absolutely identical to the corresponding product by the higher end brand? It's kind of like Ferrari making the engine for a Haas F1 car. Sure, some of the parts might be the same but the finished product is... not.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #68
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There is a limit that reasonable people won't cross. After using a paper dispenser in an office setting for 3+ years, the wife wanted them to take it back because the plastic door to load paper had broken. I was not able to stand in line with her for that one . . .
Did she get it exchanged?
      12-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #69
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
There is a limit that reasonable people won't cross. After using a paper dispenser in an office setting for 3+ years, the wife wanted them to take it back because the plastic door to load paper had broken. I was not able to stand in line with her for that one . . .
Saw somebody return a dead Christmas tree a few weeks after Christmas.... They got their money back
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #70
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Quote:
Did she get it exchanged?
Once they finally found the original transaction they did refund her money
      12-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #71
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
People who buys Vizio dont know any better I am sorry.

Pioneer Plasmas were the best TVs made ever. Pioneer Plasmas Elite series. These were made in Japan. I have had mine for 11 yrs and still look better than some new crappy disposable ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #72
hau_nguyen91
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB 17 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post

Pioneer Plasmas were the best TVs made ever. Pioneer Plasmas Elite series. These were made in Japan. I have had mine for 11 yrs and still look better than some new crappy disposable ones.
Yes pioneer plasmas are nice and super expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #73
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hau_nguyen91 View Post
Yes pioneer plasmas are nice and super expensive
Yes they were expensive. These are discontinued now. When I bought mine, the website had them advertised for $14K of course I did not pay that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #74
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post

LOL! Says who... You???

As I have mentioned here and in a previous Home Theater thread, my 80" Vizio is stupid good! The PQ is fantastic, the backlit remote works great, it connects to it's apps and my phone for casting flawlessly etc. And it has handled everything I can throw it very well: BluRay, PS4, external usb and Android TV. Plenty of picture controls for professional fine tuning which I did and it has received @ 4 OTA firmware updates. So they certainly haven't forgotten their customers even though this particular model is no longer available.

I also have one of LG's top performing 60" Plasma which would give ANY brand Plasma a run for it's money in sheer PQ!

I have also owned Sony and Samsung. PQ can be very subjective depending on ones "vision". We have had more gatherings (games, movies, parties etc) at my home than I can count. Some of my friends have $50k movie theater setups and some have the latest curved TV's costing thousands more. They are ALL very impressed and compliment my Vizio. If it were NOT cutting the mustard for me as picky as I am, I would simply go out and buy something else.
The only TV's I am even considering to replace it cost @ $6 - $10k. But since there is not nearly enough 4k content available, especially OTA, I'll be patient.
Don't knock it til you've tried it...

12-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #75
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
LOL! Says who... You???

As I have mentioned here and in a previous Home Theater thread, my 80" Vizio is stupid good! The PQ is fantastic, the backlit remote works great, it connects to it's apps and my phone for casting flawlessly etc. And it has handled everything I can throw it very well: BluRay, PS4, external usb and Android TV. Plenty of picture controls for professional fine tuning which I did and it has received @ 4 OTA firmware updates. So they certainly haven't forgotten their customers even though this particular model is no longer available.

I also have one of LG's top performing 60" Plasma which would give ANY brand Plasma a run for it's money in sheer PQ!

I have also owned Sony and Samsung. PQ can be very subjective depending on ones "vision". We have had more gatherings (games, movies, parties etc) at my home than I can count. Some of my friends have $50k movie theater setups and some have the latest curved TV's costing thousands more. They are ALL very impressed and compliment my Vizio. If it were NOT cutting the mustard for me as picky as I am, I would simply go out and buy something else.
The only TV's I am even considering to replace it cost @ $6 - $10k. But since there is not nearly enough 4k content available, especially OTA, I'll be patient.
Don't knock it til you've tried it...

Ok kiddo calm down... Nobody is arguing you cannot buy a fancy TV. I also have owned few other TVs including a Vizio. Friends had them and did not last more than a few years.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #76
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

While everyone's opinion of what is a good picture is subjective, having your screen metered provides a unbiased report of how your screen is performing. So those that claim to have TVs with good picture quality, post up your calibration results. Below are mine off of my 141FD. I dare anyone post up results that even come close to how my TV is measuring out. It's time to put up or shut up.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #77
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
really? too tired now
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #78
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

Had to jump in on this one.

Unfortunately, all of us have to realize we now live in a throw away world when it comes to most everything from TVs to cars and it is only going to get worse. My e39 M5 had a much higher build quality than my e90 M3, no question.

As others have stated, companies that truly stand behind their products and warranties today are few and far between. Ten to twenty years ago companies seemingly cared more about customer satisfaction just look at Toyota with their wrongful death and WellsFargo's multiple account fraud. Even with BMW and known issues like peeling paint on the interiors of e90s.

Unless you send big money, almost all consumer electronics are made cheaply and either produced or at least assembled in china. The flip side of this throw away world with cheap electronics is just that, they are relatively cheap. When you are paying $400 for a 50" tv it could last a year or it could last ten, but again it is hardly a lot of money when talking consumer electronics.

I still have my 42" Panasonic plasma that I purchased 11 years ago at Costco back when they still had a lifetime replacement warranty. Still going strong and is serving proudly in the one bedroom. I also bought one of the last 55" Panasonic Plasmas about 3 years ago and the HDMI ports died just after 2 years with no parts available to fix. Both cost about $1,200 when new and proves that even when you spend decent money it can be just luck.

When it comes to picture quality it is somewhat subjective just like cars, my neighbor loves his Lexus IS FSport, but the Pioneer Plasma Elite was recognized by most to have some of the best color and deep blacks at the time and even today most modern edge lit TVs don't come close. The one thing that does have to be taken into account in terms of perceived picture quality is the content you are watching. If you are watching sports in a well lit room, the quality of a TV that produced excellent contrast and deep blacks will most likely not be recognized, but if you are watching a movie in a dark room the quality will be obvious. I currently have a 65" Sony XBR950B for my main viewing/movie room which is a fully back lit LCD. While not quite on the level of a LG OLED (also recognized to be one of the best of modern TV's) it is very close to my eyes. My friend who mostly watches sports could not understand how I could have spent three times as much as the 65" edge lit Samsung LCD he has until he watched a movie on mine.

Lastly to the other few posts regarding not understanding spending time and money on a surround sound set up with wires everywhere and 5 remotes to control everything. Again, it is partly up to what you spend your time viewing, if you mostly watch sports a surround sound system may seem like a waste but if you watch movies or are into gaming it makes a difference. In addition, as someone that has a dedicated room for movies with a 7.2 surround sound system, if you do it right yourself or hire a professional, there will not be wires all over the floor and you can hide alot of the electronics in a closet with an IR repeater (remote system for controlling all the electronics). There are also various companies that make universal remotes so that you can have just one remote such as Harmony.
Nissan Xterra 2002 (Illinois + Winter = SUV)

Last edited by redvitesse; 12-02-2016 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #79
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post
Had to jump in on this one.

Unfortunately, all of us have to realize we now live in a throw away world when it comes to most everything from TVs to cars and it is only going to get worse. My e39 M5 had a much higher build quality than my e90 M3, no question.

As others have stated, companies that truly stand behind their products and warranties today are few and far between. Ten to twenty years ago companies seemingly cared more about customer satisfaction just look at Toyota with their wrongful death and WellsFargo's multiple account fraud. Even with BMW and known issues like peeling paint on the interiors of e90s.

Unless you send big money, almost all consumer electronics are made cheaply and either produced or at least assembled in china. The flip side of this throw away world with cheap electronics is just that, they are relatively cheap. When you are paying $400 for a 50" tv it could last a year or it could last ten, but again it is hardly a lot of money when talking consumer electronics.

I still have my 42" Panasonic plasma that I purchased 11 years ago at Costco back when they still had a lifetime replacement warranty. Still going strong and is serving proudly in the one bedroom. I also bought one of the last 55" Panasonic Plasmas about 3 years ago and the HDMI ports died just after 2 years with no parts available to fix. Both cost about $1,200 when new and proves that even when you spend decent money it can be just luck.

When it comes to picture quality it is somewhat subjective just like cars, my neighbor loves his Lexus IS FSport, but the Pioneer Plasma Elite was recognized by most to have some of the best color and deep blacks at the time and even today most modern edge lit TVs don't come close. The one thing that does have to be taken into account in terms of perceived picture quality is the content you are watching. If you are watching sports in a well lit room, the quality of a TV that produced excellent contrast and deep blacks will most likely not be recognized, but if you are watching a movie in a dark room the quality will be obvious. I currently have a 65" Sony XBR950B for my main viewing/movie room which is a fully back lit LCD. While not quite on the level of a LG OLED (also recognized to be one of the best of modern TV's) it is very close to my eyes. My friend who mostly watches sports could not understand how I could have spent three times as much as the 65" edge lit Samsung LCD he has until he watched a movie on mine.

Lastly to the other few posts regarding not understanding spending time and money on a surround sound set up with wires everywhere and 5 remotes to control everything. Again, it is partly up to what you spend your time viewing, if you mostly watch sports a surround sound system may seem like a waste but if you watch movies or are into gaming it makes a difference. In addition, as someone that has a dedicated room for movies with a 7.2 surround sound system, if you do it right yourself or hire a professional, there will not be wires all over the floor and you can hide alot of the electronics in a closet with an IR repeater (remote system for controlling all the electronics). There are also various companies that make universal remotes so that you can have just one remote such as Harmony.
Agree, Sounds like your neighbor don't have taste he probably loves big girls
      12-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #80
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
While everyone's opinion of what is a good picture is subjective, having your screen metered provides a unbiased report of how your screen is performing. So those that claim to have TVs with good picture quality, post up your calibration results. Below are mine off of my 141FD. I dare anyone post up results that even come close to how my TV is measuring out. It's time to put up or shut up.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0