New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Driving modes

I have had my car one month already! I have basically only driven it in city driving and short highway drives, all in normal mode. I finally got out this weekend and played with sport and sport plus mode. I no longer like normal mode, but prefer sport mode. My car has adaptive m suspension (and DCT). Does the suspension and driving modes work together? Any reason not to drive in sport mode all the time? Thanks.

PS- I drove top down in 70 degrees with the heat on and a jacket and scarf, thats winter in SC! Windscreen is on my list for Santa for sure. This car really makes me understand the term driver's car........I go out of my way to extend a drive!
      11-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

same ordeal. Im always in sport mode now and sport+ when im peppy. Sometimes on the highway, sport mode wont change to 7th which may use up a bit more gas than normal. After lowering and installing swaybars, normal and sport feel about the same in terms of stiffness.

instead of normal I think they should just have a ECO mode for this car. Calling it sport and then sport+ sounds a lil reaching. ECO/NORMAL/SPORT give a better balance.
      11-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
I have had my car one month already! I have basically only driven it in city driving and short highway drives, all in normal mode. I finally got out this weekend and played with sport and sport plus mode. I no longer like normal mode, but prefer sport mode. My car has adaptive m suspension (and DCT). Does the suspension and driving modes work together? Any reason not to drive in sport mode all the time? Thanks.

PS- I drove top down in 70 degrees with the heat on and a jacket and scarf, thats winter in SC! Windscreen is on my list for Santa for sure. This car really makes me understand the term driver's car........I go out of my way to extend a drive!
I drove my Z4 3.5i in sport mode most of the time after asking my SA about it. He told me it is not a problem at all. As to suspension etc. that all depends on your options you have on the car. I no longer have the manual of course, I would consult with your SA or your manual. Perhaps other members here will clarify this question for you (I am sure they will).

As for the wind screen. I did not like the BMW mesh screen it got dirty quite often. I changed it for the clear glass screen like in the picture below. I am sure it will make a very nice Christmas gift to yourself

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I drove my Z4 3.5i in sport mode most of the time after asking my SA about it. He told me it is not a problem at all. As to suspension etc. that all depends on your options you have on the car. I no longer have the manual of course, I would consult with your SA or your manual. Perhaps other members here will clarify this question for you (I am sure they will).

As for the wind screen. I did not like the BMW mesh screen it got dirty quite often. I changed it for the clear glass screen like in the picture below. I am sure it will make a very nice Christmas gift to yourself
I don't want to switch the thread to a windscreen issue but is that the roadster solutions windscreen with the adhesive mounts (in the picture above)? I like the clear screen better as well and this is a good picture of it!

Last edited by Jayda; 11-27-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I use Normal for around town and the daily commute. Streets in Charlotte are just to bad for Sport. On twisty roads, I do use Sport a lot. I only use Sport+ if I know there is room to play.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:

Hi Rolf i have the mesh screen on my car and your right it gets dirty indeed but thats why its there. profect us from turbulence and dirt on our heads.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582507

Scroll down to my reply
      11-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

hi Memphis,

you post says that on Sport+ and lever on M, gear changes are on ur own. When I do launch control, it changes from 1st to 2nd on its own. I havent redlined 2nd gear on M yet so i dont know if it'll change on its own. Is auto gear change just for LC and 1st and 2nd?
      11-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post

Thank you, very helpful. I have to say all I did was hit the sport button and sport plus button and found that fun. I guess there is a lot more to play around with using the lever controls on the DCT. I also need to try paddle shifting. I feel like a little girl in a candy shop!
      11-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
hi Memphis,

you post says that on Sport+ and lever on M, gear changes are on ur own. When I do launch control, it changes from 1st to 2nd on its own. I havent redlined 2nd gear on M yet so i dont know if it'll change on its own. Is auto gear change just for LC and 1st and 2nd?
launch control is completely automated and a different setting altogether.

in manual when you hit the redline it just cuts off the engine, it wont change.
      11-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
mav5125
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Quote:

That clear wind deflect is nice !!
I assume it's glass and not a plastic?
where can i get one?
Appreciate 0