New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
krimore
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Big Brake Kit + Working e-Brake (with Pics)

So I got the kit installed last year (Installed myself, even though I've never changed my own oil before, I'd consider myself a pretty handy guy though).

Anyways, got these last summer and went through the installation it's fairly straight forward except for the rear e-brake that was a pain to install cause of the limited space, aside from that everything is fairly straight forward. I'm planning to get the M Sport Front and rear bumper so figured I snap a few pics cause I haven't seen anyone post about a BBK with working e-brakes.

Got mine from Dan from PB Brakes, good guy answered all the questions I had. Delivery a bit faster than promised, I think it took a total of 2-3 weeks, don't remember exactly. Came in two huge and very heavy boxes packaging was great and quality was top notch.

I didn't want to post the install cause I wanted to wait a while and see how they held up before posting, but its been a year and they've been great, the car stops on a dime, you can feel the brakes grip as soon as you hit the pedal, great mod, my only regret is that I didn't go a bit bigger (was worried they wouldn't fit my 19s). The E-brakes still work so that was my main concern before buying the kit, like I said it was a tight squeeze to get the rear on cause of the e-brake modules you have to install but they work fine once you get them on. I might get PB Coilovers next since the brakes were so great.

http://pbbrakes.com/brake-kits/bmw/z4.html
Attached Images

Last edited by krimore; 06-24-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

How are the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos on the Z4? I ran them for a while on a 2006 Miata and liked them. Have you had them on long enough to comment on how they wear?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
jake169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 35is

This is the exact BBK I have been looking into, I have been exchanging emails with Dan about it. How do you like the brakes the quality and such, do you notice a difference in overall braking.

Thanks,
Jake.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
How are the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos on the Z4? I ran them for a while on a 2006 Miata and liked them. Have you had them on long enough to comment on how they wear?
off topic: i actually just replaced my rears w/ the v12 evo2 265/30/19..... theyre fine for the cheap price but i dont like the grip at all, doesnt feel as stable cornering/high speeds even compared to my worn out falken fk452 i replaced.. i was going to go for michelin pss but i have some camber issues so didnt want to go w/ such a premium tire.. i will probably abuse these hankooks and get a camber plate kit/michelin PSS when the time comes

on topic: the brakes look amazing, i am considering similar upgrades so thanks for your post. i am waiting for gbp to drop a bit more from this brexit.. btw what size are your front/rears? are these 6pot?

Last edited by mrkoven; 06-24-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
krimore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Only had them for about 500km but for the most part they have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake169 View Post
This is the exact BBK I have been looking into, I have been exchanging emails with Dan about it. How do you like the brakes the quality and such, do you notice a difference in overall braking.

Thanks,
Jake.
Like I said, I thought the quality was top notch, the discs were really good quality from what I could tell, Dan provided more than enough parts for the install, with a few extras as well, instructions were included although I'm not 100% sure if they were for the Z4, but they were pretty detailed. I did have use YouTube and looked at some BBK installs for other cars since I've never done brakes before. I've never owned a Brembo BBK before but have had Brembo discs and I'm gonna have to say the quality of the PB discs and parts are up there with brembo, atleast from what I can tell. If you do decide to buy from PB Brakes point him to this thread and you might just get a small discount.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Thanks for reviewing OP.

Just a few questions. Did you upgrade your brake lines as well? Also did you get a chance to do any hard driving? I do auto-x, rolling race, and mountain runs so I'm curious of these can take the abuse.

Thanks,
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
krimore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Thanks for reviewing OP.

Just a few questions. Did you upgrade your brake lines as well? Also did you get a chance to do any hard driving? I do auto-x, rolling race, and mountain runs so I'm curious of these can take the abuse.

Thanks,
The kit came with SS braided brake lines so I didn't upgrade them, I don't do any auto-x so I can't comment on how well they'll handle it, but brake performance was noticeably better than stock. A few people PM'd me asking for a deal so I talked to Dan and he's able to give a bit of a discount, if you're interested in buying a kit PM me.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimore View Post
So I got the kit installed last year (Installed myself, even though I've never changed my own oil before, I'd consider myself a pretty handy guy though).
kimore - did you install the rear bracket with the brake line on top or on the bottom? Does that make sense... the stainless line from the car to the rear bracket, did you have it go the bottom and away from the axle or on top and across?

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
Donnk
Rep
Drives: 2013 3.0i

It does look like you got room on those fronts for a bigger disc
Appreciate 0