New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

i have no idea how downshift drive stick/ paddle shifters

ok, i've never driven a stick.

from what i see in my RPM on automatic, gears change at 2kRPM in comfort mode and 2.5k-3kRPM in sport mode. so that's what i do on the paddle shifters.

but i don't know how to properly downshift too early without making the engine jolt or spike the RPM.

i somehow always end up at 5th gear going 35-40mph

when do i downshift?

where should the RPM needle stay on everyday driving?
      05-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I really wish I could tell you, but this really is something you'll have to figure out on your own by playing with it because you've never driven a stick before. Even driving a stick, the procedure is to just go with what you feel based on the feedback from the car (acceleration in a particular gear in accordance with how much you want, mostly). I've never really looked at it from this perspective before, so you really woke me up here. I'll tell you what my dad told me when I learned to drive a stick. At the very beginning, he just instructed me to upshift at 3K until and always turn in 2nd gear until I "figured it out" ...maybe his advice can help you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
ca5cade
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Can you clarify if you're on the 6 speed manual, the 7 speed DCT, or the 8 speed ZF box? You're using a lot of terms interchangeably..............
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

It looks like you're driving an automatic, if I'm reading you right. First off, you don't have to downshift. The automatic tranny will do that for you when you're coming to a stop. Manual downshifting (with the stick or paddles) is done to allow for increased acceleration. Your engine puts out more hp as the rpms increase (up to around 6000 I think). There's no set rule on when to do it; do it if the need arises, like if you want to pass. There's plenty out there on this so go and learn.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5cade View Post
Can you clarify if you're on the 6 speed manual, the 7 speed DCT, or the 8 speed ZF box? You're using a lot of terms interchangeably..............
7 speed DCT
      05-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
Deljus
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Pretty much what jparnes1 said. As an example, if you're cruising down the highway in 7th gear ~1.8k-2k rpm and you want to pass somebody, you can downshift to 5th gear which will bring your rpm to ~3k and you'll accelerate much quicker than if you were to simply mash the pedal in 7th gear. Another scenario with "spirited driving" is if you're braking going into a turn, you downshift to maintain your revs in the higher rpm range which will allow you to quickly accelerate out of the turn.
      05-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I really wish I could tell you, but this really is something you'll have to figure out on your own by playing with it because you've never driven a stick before. Even driving a stick, the procedure is to just go with what you feel based on the feedback from the car (acceleration in a particular gear in accordance with how much you want, mostly). I've never really looked at it from this perspective before, so you really woke me up here. I'll tell you what my dad told me when I learned to drive a stick. At the very beginning, he just instructed me to upshift at 3K until and always turn in 2nd gear until I "figured it out" ...maybe his advice can help you.
Hmm... I had no idea changing gears was more personal than technical. Thanks for you input.
      05-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
It looks like you're driving an automatic, if I'm reading you right. First off, you don't have to downshift. The automatic tranny will do that for you when you're coming to a stop. Manual downshifting (with the stick or paddles) is done to allow for increased acceleration. Your engine puts out more hp as the rpms increase (up to around 6000 I think). There's no set rule on when to do it; do it if the need arises, like if you want to pass. There's plenty out there on this so go and learn.
"Manual downshifting (with the stick or paddles) is done to allow for increased acceleration."

This is excellent wake up call. I'll ingrain this into my brain for the rest of my life.
      05-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #9
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Since your question pertains more to how to shift gears in manual, which is not pertinent to your E89 exclusively, I suggest you Google "when to upshift and downshift in manual" to access a more fundamental tutorial on that topic. Whatever you learn will be applicable to your vehicle for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
Since your question pertains more to how to shift gears in manual, which is not pertinent to your E89 exclusively, I suggest you Google "when to upshift and downshift in manual" to access a more fundamental tutorial on that topic. Whatever you learn will be applicable to your vehicle for the most part.
i thought i posted in the general auto talk but oh well. it would have illicited more responses.
      05-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Just enjoy

The DCT transmission is smarter than we are. Drive the car, use the power. Watch what the DCT is doing,as shown on the center display. Use various amounts of power in sport settings and watch what it is doing for you. The turbo engines do not require a lot of shifting. In normal mode it will always stay in as high a gear as it can to save fuel. In sport it will stay in lower gears longer to improve acceleration. Let the dct do all the thinking for a while, but try to monitor what it is doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdownthestreet View Post
Hmm... I had no idea changing gears was more personal than technical. Thanks for you input.
Well, it is technical, but everyday driving in manual mode sort of isn't.
Appreciate 0