New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Toyota BMW Z$ Replacement Confirmed.

Toyota FT-1 concept, 2014 Detroit Auto ShowToyota FT-1 concept, 2014 Detroit Auto Show
Toyota and BMW have confirmed that a common platform is in development for next-generation sports cars, thought to be for a new generation of the Toyota Supra based on this year's FT-1 concept and a replacement for BMW's Z4. According to Japan's Nikkei daily, the first fruits of each manufacturer's partnership could appear by 2017.

The two companies originally signed a memorandum of understanding in 2011, to collaborate on a number of different projects. Among those is a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, but a sports car was also proposed—immediately kick-starting rumors of a successor to the Supra sports car that ended production in 2002. There are few details available at present, but the vehicle is likely to use a traditional front-engined, rear-drive layout. Engine choices are up in the air, but the existing BMW Z4 uses a mix of four-cylinder and inline six-cylinder power units.

Each manufacturer stands to gain something from the partnership—Toyota will benefit from economies of scale and BMW's luxury vehicle expertise, while each manufacturer plans to discuss joint manufacturing and parts procurement.

It's likely that some form of hybrid technology will also make an appearance—BMW benefiting from Toyota's expertise in that particular area. Such a system could use super-capacitors to store charge generated by the engine—able to provide quick bursts of power to the rear wheels to assist the gasoline engine.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Wow, awesome! This is really exciting news
      02-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I'm not sure what part of this is news? This partnership and model intentions have been public knowledge for over a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I guess good 'news' but tired of the whole 'front-engine/rear-wheel' config. Audi had it for a long time and even Corvette's thinking of mid-engine for its next version. BMW not having one as its halo/supercar is a BIG omission imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Aren't the 28i cars are "Front-Mid engine" now? That means even the commuter spec 3 series is mid engined design

Seems like BMW is thinking about putting a very powerful gas motor into the i8. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/22/b...hp-i8s-mooted/

I think the Z lineup was supposed to be an level roadster type of car. I don't think it was every meant to be the brand halo?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Aren't the 28i cars are "Front-Mid engine" now? That means even the commuter spec 3 series is mid engined design

Seems like BMW is thinking about putting a very powerful gas motor into the i8. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/22/b...hp-i8s-mooted/

I think the Z lineup was supposed to be an level roadster type of car. I don't think it was every meant to be the brand halo?
Argh, I really dislike that 'front-mid engine' description...same phrase was thrown around for the One-77. Just a lame copout excuse to say that they're not skilled/financially-invested/etc enough to produce a proper mid-engine platform.

i8 is intriguing but, to me, the design is already so dated, they tried waaay too hard to make it look futuristic and it looks so clunky w/ its hard lines. The power is just so-so for the price and its supposed 'halo' status in the BMW lineup.

Z4 is a nice-looking car but big fail for no M, it being overpriced and too heavy. I still love my car but it could've been MUCH better.

Boy, I'm -ive today lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Argh, I really dislike that 'front-mid engine' description...same phrase was thrown around for the One-77. Just a lame copout excuse to say that they're not skilled/financially-invested/etc enough to produce a proper mid-engine platform.

i8 is intriguing but, to me, the design is already so dated, they tried waaay too hard to make it look futuristic and it looks so clunky w/ its hard lines. The power is just so-so for the price and its supposed 'halo' status in the BMW lineup.

Z4 is a nice-looking car but big fail for no M, it being overpriced and too heavy. I still love my car but it could've been MUCH better.

Boy, I'm -ive today lol.

Haha, no worries I know I've personally thought these things as well

As for the "front mid engined", I don't think it is completely a cop-out. There are actual benefits as compared to having the weight in front of the front axle

Have you read the interview of the M development team that is on the F80post forum?

Very interesting read that compares the difference between BMW M subsidiary and BMW AG parent company. Even for BMW M and the M3 there is still the need to compromise sport, usability, cost, efficiency, social perception, etc. I personally think that being an all out sports car manufacturer is just not part of BMW's strategy and we need to look outside the brand for that type of car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, no worries I know I've personally thought these things as well

As for the "front mid engined", I don't think it is completely a cop-out. There are actual benefits as compared to having the weight in front of the front axle

Have you read the interview of the M development team that is on the F80post forum?

Very interesting read that compares the difference between BMW M subsidiary and BMW AG parent company. Even for BMW M and the M3 there is still the need to compromise sport, usability, cost, efficiency, social perception, etc. I personally think that being an all out sports car manufacturer is just not part of BMW's strategy and we need to look outside the brand for that type of car.
Yes, of course 'front mid engine' is better than over the front axle or even further ahead haha. However, it still doesn't fool anyone into thinking that it's a good alternative to a real mid-engine setup.

No, I haven't read the interview, but ever since they started to 'M' their SUVs (or SAVs as they call it), I pretty much tuned out. Yes, virtually every new BMW model is more powerful than previous, but so is the weight, so it negates a lot of the power gains. M division definitely isn't what it used to be.

Agree that if one wants a truer sportscar they have to look elsewhere. In terms of philosophy, I'm definitely more Lotus than, say, Bentley (which is absolutely atrocious in my books). Porsche is still good, their newer models are more powerful yet somehow lighter in many instances (at least for Cayman, me thinks). However, I absolutely hate how they still keep neutering the Cayman (yes, even the GT4 is not fully realized) so the posers can still claim the 911 as their ultimate sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Boy, I'm -ive today lol.

You sound like me after the first time my Z4 got limp mode

Next Z4M seems like it will be AWESOME. You should tune back into the F80 for the direction BMW M is going (hint: F80 and E46 weigh the same!)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

You sound like me after the first time my Z4 got limp mode

Next Z4M seems like it will be AWESOME. You should tune back into the F80 for the direction BMW M is going (hint: F80 and E46 weigh the same!)
LOL, don't even remind me about limp mode. At least you live in sunny Cali...try that desperately driving to the dealership during a snowstorm!

Really, the latest M3 weighs same as the much older one? I thought that weight was the main concern about the latest M3s...or maybe it was the version before this one? Not really paying too much attn.

Anyway, back on topic b4 OP gets angry ...can't wait for the BMW version to come out, should be nice, even though it's yet another front engine.
Appreciate 0