New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

How to turn off auto dimming?

Windows are tinted quite dark and I can barely even see headlights anymore from the back thru the sides and rear view mirrors. Is there a way to turn them off? Getting a little dangerous after a while.
      03-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I think you may need to rephrase your question as I'm confused by your post.

I'm not sure what auto dims and why this has an impact on your window tints?

Or do you mean you've tinted your lights?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I think he means auto dimming of the rear view mirror. and no, there's no on-off button for that.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I think he means auto dimming of the rear view mirror. and no, there's no on-off button for that.
Ah that makes sense... Perhaps that really dark tint on the windows should be avoided then? I really do like the look, but only on a car that's for show and not really for driving around in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Did you tint the windshield as well? Should not cause problem even with 20 to 15 tint without windshield tint.
If u did tint the windshield, go back to the tint shop and get a bit scrap of tint. Cut and apply to the sensor at the top of mirror, that will fix it, and u will still have auto-dimm
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpDellNestle View Post
Did you tint the windshield as well? Should not cause problem even with 20 to 15 tint without windshield tint.
If u did tint the windshield, go back to the tint shop and get a bit scrap of tint. Cut and apply to the sensor at the top of mirror, that will fix it, and u will still have auto-dimm
Good idea. But wouldn't this still dim my side and rear view mirrors?
      03-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep

It would, but to lesser degree, so you would still have a functional auto-dimm(which is what I would preferred) The darker the tint you apply to sensor the less sensitive the auto-dimm. If you really want the auto-dimm disabled, apply a opaque film over the sensor so no light can hit it. I will go with a silver foil or air duct tape so it blend with the mirror. BTW, did you tint the windshield, asking cause it really should not be a problem with tint. If you did not tint the windshield, the problem maybe is with forward sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpDellNestle
It would, but to lesser degree, so you would still have a functional auto-dimm(which is what I would preferred) The darker the tint you apply to sensor the less sensitive the auto-dimm. If you really want the auto-dimm disabled, apply a opaque film over the sensor so no light can hit it. I will go with a silver foil or air duct tape so it blend with the mirror. BTW, did you tint the windshield, asking cause it really should not be a problem with tint. If you did not tint the windshield, the problem maybe is with forward sensor.
Your suggestion to me is a contradiction of how the auto-dim feature works.

If the OP wants his mirrors to "not" dim, it needs to be brighter inside the car. With window tint, the car internally is darker, thus, his mirrors go on auto-dim thinking it is night time. He wants the mirror brighter, and putting tape or anything else over the sensor would (and I could be mistaken) make the sensor think it is dark, thus, activate the mirror dimming...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55

Your suggestion to me is a contradiction of how the auto-dim feature works.

If the OP wants his mirrors to "not" dim, it needs to be brighter inside the car. With window tint, the car internally is darker, thus, his mirrors go on auto-dim thinking it is night time. He wants the mirror brighter, and putting tape or anything else over the sensor would (and I could be mistaken) make the sensor think it is dark, thus, activate the mirror dimming...
Auto dim activates when outside is dark and inside is bright. You need dim only when it is dark outside like at night and a car behind you with high beam blinding you from behind (inside is bright). That is why the auto dim should work fine with tint as long as the windshield is not altered.
Appreciate 0