New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Not talking about OEM vs aftermkt but rather the Z4 getting lousier in-house parts vs certain 1 or 3 series despite costing way more.
But its not... the 1M cats are the same as the E89, 35i/35is/1M/335is N54 have the same engine part numbers.. E89 uses the same DCT as M3... etc etc

There are some gaps like cooling, and there is no LSD like all other non M cars but other than that, E89 is not getting short changed in the parts bin
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
But its not... the 1M cats are the same as the E89, 35i/35is/1M/335is N54 have the same engine part numbers.. E89 uses the same DCT as M3... etc etc

There are some gaps like cooling, and there is no LSD like all other non M cars but other than that, E89 is not getting short changed in the parts bin
What I actually meant is that the cheaper models share most of our goodies like the N54 along w/ same, similar or better tweaks/parts. For what we pay, there should be a lot more goodies, look at the idrive even, that's 1 step behind, isn't it? There's a theme here. Anyway, obviously we didn't get the Z4 as a 'value for $' proposition.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
look at the idrive even, that's 1 step behind, isn't it?
The fact that the screen folds away so neatly makes it one of the most future-proof iDrive systems ever made by BMW. It is just a matter of years before the current-gen iDrive systems start to look outdated.

This is also why we should be happy we got an "analog" climate control interface as well as those three-dimensional curvy analog speedo/rev counters instead of the flat half/full LCD ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
What I actually meant is that the cheaper models share most of our goodies like the N54 along w/ same, similar or better tweaks/parts. For what we pay, there should be a lot more goodies, look at the idrive even, that's 1 step behind, isn't it? There's a theme here. Anyway, obviously we didn't get the Z4 as a 'value for $' proposition.

If you check out truecar.com right now and look at 435 convertible vs. Z435 with similar equipment (msport package + tech package) the Z4 is actually cheaper due to higher discounting. (Maybe outside US its a lot different...)

Apparently there is also 73% residual right now so the leases on Z4 should be very strong deals.

This is pretty much the same thing I've seen since 2012, where new car price, lease price, used resale price for Z4 are similar (or less) to the equivalent 3 or 4 series models.

Personally, I think Z435 is a great deal for a new car since its the only one left with N54 and only non M model with DCT. and it looks pretty good...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
The fact that the screen folds away so neatly makes it one of the most future-proof iDrive systems ever made by BMW. It is just a matter of years before the current-gen iDrive systems start to look outdated.

This is also why we should be happy we got an "analog" climate control interface as well as those three-dimensional curvy analog speedo/rev counters instead of the flat half/full LCD ones.
I'm kinda confused by this, why is just having a folding screen more future-proof vs the current BMW screens that are tilted towards the driver? Why isn't having those new flat LCD cockpit screens more future-proof vs our analog meters?

Quote:
If you check out truecar.com right now and look at 435 convertible vs. Z435 with similar equipment (msport package + tech package) the Z4 is actually cheaper due to higher discounting. (Maybe outside US its a lot different...)

Apparently there is also 73% residual right now so the leases on Z4 should be very strong deals.

This is pretty much the same thing I've seen since 2012, where new car price, lease price, used resale price for Z4 are similar (or less) to the equivalent 3 or 4 series models.

Personally, I think Z435 is a great deal for a new car since its the only one left with N54 and only non M model with DCT. and it looks pretty good...
I never cross-shopped our Z4 w/ any 3-series, so no idea. However, w/ the deep discounts to the Z4 in the later years since I bought in 2010 surely it looks like a good deal. My pt is that value for $, Z4 falls short.

Anyway, going way OT, partially my fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My pt is that value for $, Z4 falls short.
German cars in general fall short on that metric. Like I said earlier man, time for a Corvette... Or if you really want to eat bitter on value for $ shop at Porsche.....

by the way, for the 35is and 35i E89 exhaust I've read the difference is the muffler only.

Have you found anything about that?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
German cars in general fall short on that metric. Like I said earlier man, time for a Corvette... Or if you really want to eat bitter on value for $ shop at Porsche.....

by the way, for the 35is and 35i E89 exhaust I've read the difference is the muffler only.

Have you found anything about that?
Trudat.

Apparently that's what someone said re only mufflers being different. Don't ask me to confirm though, that's like asking me which is the right shade of eyeliner to go w/ this season's lipstick lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #30
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Trudat.

Apparently that's what someone said re only mufflers being different. Don't ask me to confirm though, that's like asking me which is the right shade of eyeliner to go w/ this season's lipstick lol.
You are correct - the only difference between the 35i and 35is exhaust is the muffler. For those who are curious and want confirmation, the part numbers between the 35i and the 35is exhaust are all the same except the muffler portion.

In comparing the two muffler, I believe they are actually the same muffler but just with different/less (in the case of the is) packing material. If I am not mistaken, this is the case for the E92 35i vs. 35is exhaust, so I would not be surprised if this was the case for the Z as well. No proof on this one except speculations, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #31
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

replaced my stock exhaust on 3.0i

Here's my stock exhaust off the car:

here's the Eisenmann Sport exhaust:

here's the Eisenmann Sport exhaust on the car:

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0