New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #111
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

You're welcome!

Remember to also code your lights to "instant on" for lock/unlock. The default lights fade in/out will cause the LCI headlights to flicker.

Good luck!
Howie

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #112
OXOJE55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //RC

Thanks again.

They worked out great
      06-10-2015, 05:25 AM   #113
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

For those that have done it, what are the parts required? Can you just get the L + R headlight assembly and use the old ballast, bulb, etc. or would you need a whole new set of hardware?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #114
Reverse Flash
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 sDrive30i

I wish a shop would sell a full conversion kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #115
jaro2k
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

just another space gray with new LCI headlights..
thanks to Fabian S. and all thread contributors for a great source of information.

retrofit was performed from on e89 z4 (2010 model) with bi-xenon headlights without AHL function to original LCI headlights with AHL

car was originally equipped with FRM3R PL2 (LED XE) footwell module which I had to replace with FRM3 Max Brose module (61359383050 SW180002HW13) to get AHL functionality.

additionally, I have add extra wires (61122348129) from footwell module to headlights to support SMC signals.

I could use OEM wiring without adding extra hardness (as there are free wires) but I wanted to make it 100% compliant with standard electrical schematic.

as on optional step.. software was re-loaded from the latest V56 using Ista/P coding just to prevent any errors or compatibility issues in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #116
emapol
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaro2k View Post
just another space gray with new LCI headlights..
thanks to Fabian S. and all thread contributors for a great source of information.

retrofit was performed from on e89 z4 (2010 model) with bi-xenon headlights without AHL function to original LCI headlights with AHL

car was originally equipped with FRM3R PL2 (LED XE) footwell module which I had to replace with FRM3 Max Brose module (61359383050 SW180002HW13) to get AHL functionality.

additionally, I have add extra wires (61122348129) from footwell module to headlights to support SMC signals.

I could use OEM wiring without adding extra hardness (as there are free wires) but I wanted to make it 100% compliant with standard electrical schematic.

as on optional step.. software was re-loaded from the latest V56 using Ista/P coding just to prevent any errors or compatibility issues in the future.
My z4 is 2009 model. I went to bmw but they told me that it is not possible to install the lci headlights.
My z4 has bi-xenon headlights without AHL function and I wanted to install the original LCI headlights with AHL too.
Do you think that I can do by myself? The only problem is the footwell module that I don't know where it is installed in the car.
Maybe if I install the original bi-xenon LCI headlights without AHL, I don't have to replace the footwell module and I can install by myself
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #117
jaro2k
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

emapol, try to check what footwell module you have installed in your car.
Module is located under steering-wheel.. above foot area.. Deinstall the cover and you will find it on top-left side.

In case you have FRM3 version, you will not need to change it if you use non-AHL LCI headlights. Otherwise, your current FRM module will need to be replaced by FRM3 MAX Brose version, to support AHL functionality of new LCIs.

In case you going to change FRM module a coding of the car will probably be needed. It would depend on release date of FRM module you get. The most recent FRM modules will not be supported by software of your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #118
IMR
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toureg TDI, Z4 35iS

Another one about to take the plunge?

Well, turning lemons into lemonaid. My 2013 35iS was the victim of a parking lot incident - a Honda Pilot backed into my front-end. Long story short, my driver's headlight is smashed.

Given that we're going to have to replace one headlight anyway, wondering about swapping to the LCI headlights. My car is fairly late production and loaded, so I suspect I'd have the FRM3 module. Aside from the headlight units themselves (with LED bulbs) and possibly a wiring harness, do I need to buy anything else? I've read and re-read the thread. it is possible that I'm just illiterate, but I remain a bit confused as to what is actually required in this case. Can I not re-use the Xenon Adaptive units? Also, any pointers for a north american looking to get these purchased at less than full dealer retail?

HELP! Dying to get my beauty back on the road, but don't want to miss an opportunity to have insurance help cover the cosmetic surgery.

Thanks!

-----
This is what I have on the to be purchased list so far
Left Housing (AKL): 63127348953 -> $1300
Right Housing (AKL): 63127348954 -> $1300
Retrofit harness: 61122348129 -> $25
LED Ballast: 63117342174 (2 of them) -> $440*2
LEDs: 63117348935 (2 of them) -> $130*2
Screw?: 46637659479 (30 of them?!?!) -> $60

Mama mia! total back of napkin cost of ~$3600 plus shipping + taxes.

**** Not Needed ? ****
Xenon module: 63127296090 --> $424 *2

Last edited by IMR; 05-30-2016 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #119
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Hoping to resurrect this old thread and get some clarification. I am looking to do the LCI headlight retrofit. There are multiple people on here claiming success but with what seem like dramatically different degrees of complexity.

One claimed to only need coding and:

Another claimed to need coding and:

Others claim to need those parts and much more.

My Z4 is a 2013 (produced 11-14-2012), has Adaptive Headlights (S524A), LHD, United States

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #120
jake169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 35is

So here is my experience with LCI Headlights retrofit.
My car:2011 35is with Adaptive Headights(standard option in the US)
LCI lights: Driver side 2013 and passenger side 2015, both bought from EBAY with all the modules on the lights.

First attempt: So get the lights to work, had to code the FRM module to Max the brightness for DRL lights, or else the DRL's would flicker. Now the Adaptive lights would not work. Would give the Adaptive lights error on the info screen.

Second attempt: Swapped the Adaptive lights module from my old lights to the new ones and played with the FRM coding and it works.

Conclusion: At least what I think is you will have to swap your AHL module from your old lights to the new ones or buy an updated(new) FRM module to work with the new lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 05:55 PM   #121
beardycub86
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 20i M Sport

Bumping this up in case anyone has done the retrofit in the intervening years since this thread started. It's been linked in numerous other forums I've visited so hopefully keeping the conversation in this same thread will help those searching the subject, just as I did.

Given the number of passing years, and headlight units becoming more easily obtained 2nd hand at a reduced cost, has anyone successfully completed this retrofit?

I've got my hands on a pair of complete LCI headlight units and fit them to my car. That part was easy enough, as far as it goes (getting some of the trim off was the most difficult part). They're plugged in and set up. All lights working individually, but when the angel eyes/halos are on with the low beams & high beams, they flicker. I have Carly so have tried coding all the options available to make the halos brighter/increase the voltage to reduce flickering, but I've run out of options available in Carly. Should note here that they ONLY flicker when the low beams/high beams are on. When it's just DRLs, they're fine. Indicators also work without issue.

Based on previous posts in this thread, I think the solution is to increase the voltage for the halos so they don't flicker, but since Carly doesn't have an option to change the brightness w/low beams/high beams on, I can't change that.

What solutions has anyone else found? Would Bimmergeeks ProTool be able to code the lights properly? I'm reluctant to spend £150+ and try it in case it doesn't work, similarly with INPA/ISTA (can't remember the right name) as I don't have a laptop so would need to buy one and don't really want to spend £400-500 fixing a flickering light.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #122
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardycub86 View Post
Bumping this up in case anyone has done the retrofit in the intervening years since this thread started. It's been linked in numerous other forums I've visited so hopefully keeping the conversation in this same thread will help those searching the subject, just as I did.

Given the number of passing years, and headlight units becoming more easily obtained 2nd hand at a reduced cost, has anyone successfully completed this retrofit?

I've got my hands on a pair of complete LCI headlight units and fit them to my car. That part was easy enough, as far as it goes (getting some of the trim off was the most difficult part). They're plugged in and set up. All lights working individually, but when the angel eyes/halos are on with the low beams & high beams, they flicker. I have Carly so have tried coding all the options available to make the halos brighter/increase the voltage to reduce flickering, but I've run out of options available in Carly. Should note here that they ONLY flicker when the low beams/high beams are on. When it's just DRLs, they're fine. Indicators also work without issue.

Based on previous posts in this thread, I think the solution is to increase the voltage for the halos so they don't flicker, but since Carly doesn't have an option to change the brightness w/low beams/high beams on, I can't change that.

What solutions has anyone else found? Would Bimmergeeks ProTool be able to code the lights properly? I'm reluctant to spend £150+ and try it in case it doesn't work, similarly with INPA/ISTA (can't remember the right name) as I don't have a laptop so would need to buy one and don't really want to spend £400-500 fixing a flickering light.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I have Protool and as I recall it does have a code to modify brightness of the Halos...

I didn't bother reading the whole thread I have a 2013... what is the difference with the LCI lights? I have the adaptive ones with HBA and changed it the halos to a very bright LED 6,000k bulbs
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 11:18 PM   #123
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

ProTool can probably do it.

Niv at BMcoding can do it remotely for you too.

support@bmcoding.com
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 05:50 PM   #124
beardycub86
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 20i M Sport

Hi again. Some more issues coming up.

I got the ProTool app and Bluetooth adapter and coded the DRLs brightnesses up and eliminated the flickering, so that's all sorted. All the lights/bulbs work nicely now.

However I've discovered a new issue and that is that the automatic lights control doesn't work anymore. It did work on the pre-lci headlights I had installed but it isn't working on the new LCI headlight units that I retro-fitted.

I've checked the coding and this is enabled in ProTool to make the lights turn on when it's dark, but the lights don't come on in the dark when set to automatic mode.

Does anyone know of any other settings that might be affecting this? I'm getting no error messages or codes at all when I scan the car.

There is an option in ProTool for a Rain Light Sensor (RLS) unit but when I tap that it says there's no RLS module installed in the car. Is that right? I would imagine a car that has the auto-wipers and auto-lights functions would have an RLS to control that? Has the RLS unit failed? Also where is that if so?
Appreciate 0