New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #45
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
We had the problem for at least 1 hour.
From my experience, if the HVAC prb occurs (as it happens during startup of the car), it will last for the whole duration until the car is switched off. It is then a crap-shoot if the prb will reoccur when you start the car up again next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #46
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
From my experience, if the HVAC prb occurs (as it happens during startup of the car), it will last for the whole duration until the car is switched off. It is then a crap-shoot if the prb will reoccur when you start the car up again next time.
In your case, if the problem happens, does the rear defrost still work? I think you wrote that previously, just wanted to confirm it is consistent. Mine did not work...

We also restarted the car, with both keys, several times before driving off and it continued to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In your case, if the problem happens, does the rear defrost still work? I think you wrote that previously, just wanted to confirm it is consistent. Mine did not work...

We also restarted the car, with both keys, several times before driving off and it continued to work.
It's a little wrinkle, don't think that it works with more recent HVAC prb occurrences, but previously it used to work when the HVAC prb first appeared. Not sure why.

To clarify, since using the T-Fix, there is no HVAC prb and everything works, including the rear defrost.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a little wrinkle, don't think that it works with more recent HVAC prb occurrences, but previously it used to work when the HVAC prb first appeared. Not sure why.

To clarify, since using the T-Fix, there is no HVAC prb and everything works, including the rear defrost.
Thank you. My service visit is coming up in about 1 month and I want to mention this to them. Along with the lights that sometimes only illuminate a couple of feet in front of the car and the dashboard vibrations. Hope the list doesn't get any longer. And of course hope this was just a one time occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #49
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Seeing other having the same issue has me worried given that Summer in AZ is almost at the door. Running a car in 110 deg F weather with no A/C is not my cup of tea...... I hope that given there is commonality in the issue that BMW would take notice and find a fix for us.
      04-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #50
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Had it only once in 30 month with my E92 M3 after one month, so the car was brand new during the incident. Exact the same issue as described in that thread. Perhaps this is because E92 and E89 share same parts or software!? Never happened again after that...also I remember I had it some times with my old E85.

It seems this could be a common problem with that cars...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #51
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. My service visit is coming up in about 1 month and I want to mention this to them. Along with the lights that sometimes only illuminate a couple of feet
If possible, if you are 'lucky', make sure that the HVAC prb occurs when you bring it into service, w/o turning off the car. Apparently the techs can check the prb better in this situation(?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
Seeing other having the same issue has me worried given that Summer in AZ is almost at the door. Running a car in 110 deg F weather with no A/C is not my cup of tea...... I hope that given there is commonality in the issue that BMW would take notice and find a fix for us.
No worries, just remember to use my T-Fix in the meantime and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #52
heha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4

Anyone have this issue solve
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #53
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Not sure about your question heha, however, I've never experienced the HVAC problem as described. Instead, sometimes the whole system would turn itself on despite my turning it off (turn fan speed all the way down until nothing lights up). Sometimes, it will turn on after driving for 30 minutes. Sometimes, it even lights itself right back up as I press the button one last time to make the light disappear. Any ideas on this? I initially thought it was one of those "features" installed into the car (like the charm when it reaches 37 degrees)....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #54
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Not sure about your question heha, however, I've never experienced the HVAC problem as described. Instead, sometimes the whole system would turn itself on despite my turning it off (turn fan speed all the way down until nothing lights up). Sometimes, it will turn on after driving for 30 minutes. Sometimes, it even lights itself right back up as I press the button one last time to make the light disappear. Any ideas on this? I initially thought it was one of those "features" installed into the car (like the charm when it reaches 37 degrees)....
I have had the same problem. I think it is due to a connection problem inside the turning knobs that we use to adjust the temperature. I know that if I turn off the HVAC completely and then turn one of the knobs it will turn on again. So if somehow one of the knobs is stuck between two temps, or has bad connection, then it could cause the same effect and turn the HVAC on by itself.

As a solution you can try and spin both knobs all the way from cold to hot a few times, just to sort of clean the contacts inside, and then leave both of them in a new position that feels "secure". After this you turn the A/C off like before. This has worked very well for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #55
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I have had the same problem. I think it is due to a connection problem inside the turning knobs that we use to adjust the temperature. I know that if I turn off the HVAC completely and then turn one of the knobs it will turn on again. So if somehow one of the knobs is stuck between two temps, or has bad connection, then it could cause the same effect and turn the HVAC on by itself.

As a solution you can try and spin both knobs all the way from cold to hot a few times, just to sort of clean the contacts inside, and then leave both of them in a new position that feels "secure". After this you turn the A/C off like before. This has worked very well for me.
Thanks for the recommendation, will try spinning the knobs to both sides.

I have noticed that HVAC turns itself on when the knob is turned, which is why I make sure the knob "click" into place every time I set a temperature. Despite that, it still happens. Because I'm not staring at the light the whole time (having too much fun driving ) it could be uneven road that causes vibration to the car (still on RFTs) that sets the system on?

Moving away from the RFTs in a week or so, hopefully that will solve the auto-on "feature" of the car, along with other features like Navi screen and rear-deck rattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

In 8 months of ownership, I've ran into this problem once so far. No matter what I did, it won't come on. I've tried turning all the knobs, pushing all buttons and turn off the engine. It still will not come back on until two days later. I drove the car several times in those two days so its not just one duration of driving for me. It haven't happened again and I hope it doesn't come back again as its getting warm and warmer and I like AC.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Mine failed recently, on four separate occasions. Each time I was able to get it restarted by simply turning the car off/on again. The fourth time however, it didn't work.

Took it to the dealer (warranty) thinking it might be the climate control module, but found out it was a software update it needed.

From the invoice:

"Performed fault scan. No faults stored in system. Checked relevant PUMA measures. IHKA software aged. Programmed control units and cleared faults. IHKA now working."

Climate control has been fine since.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Good to know there was a definitive resolution.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #59
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Would this be a free warranty-covered software change, or do you have to pay for the upgrade?

This happened a few days ago for the first time on my car...did not realize at the time that it was the HVAC problem everyone was talking about, thought I broke something!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #60
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Mine failed recently, on four separate occasions. Each time I was able to get it restarted by simply turning the car off/on again. The fourth time however, it didn't work.

Took it to the dealer (warranty) thinking it might be the climate control module, but found out it was a software update it needed.

From the invoice:

"Performed fault scan. No faults stored in system. Checked relevant PUMA measures. IHKA software aged. Programmed control units and cleared faults. IHKA now working."

Climate control has been fine since.
Dave
Thx for the update. Just wondering if the fault occurred when you brought it into the dealer? So this is a new software fix? Does BMW seem certain it's 100%?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #61
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

The update was done under warranty (mine expires April 15th, 2014). If your Z is no longer under warranty, I'm certain they'd still update, but I couldn't tell you what the cost might be, sorry.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #62
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thx for the update. Just wondering if the fault occurred when you brought it into the dealer? So this is a new software fix? Does BMW seem certain it's 100%?
Hey Tranquility,

Yep. The climate control unit was DOA when I drove up to the dealership. At first they also thought the module was kaput, but rang me later to advise they checked the PUMA entries and subsequently updated the 'aged' software.

As for definitive fix...it's been fine for several months now (June), but there's no way I can tell you that it's a definitive fix and frankly, I didn't think of asking if it was a permanent fix.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #63
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Hey Tranquility,

Yep. The climate control unit was DOA when I drove up to the dealership. At first they also thought the module was kaput, but rang me later to advise they checked the PUMA entries and subsequently updated the 'aged' software.

As for definitive fix...it's been fine for several months now (June), but there's no way I can tell you that it's a definitive fix and frankly, I didn't think of asking if it was a permanent fix.

Dave
Thx, I checked w/ my dealership and they said they did that fix already. I think that I tried to start the car once and it didn't work so I reverted back to the 'T-Fix'. Not sure if it's another electrical glitch/growing pains but I'll resume starting the car the normal way to test.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #64
bmwfanatic87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Has anyone found a solution? Mine has just done it for the 4th time in about 2 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #65
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

I didn't find any solution and T-Fix didn't work. I posted about the issue here ...
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667168
I dropped off my car this morning and looks like they didn't find any fault codes.
I noticed that this happens on a hot day or after continuous driving for 20-30mnts. I am mentioning this because after the car is sitting in the sun or continuous driving, when I lock the car with key, instead of the regular feedback tone, there is a strange feedback tone. After the car cools down it is normal feedback tone. Both these issues maybe related to some cooling or electronics issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic87 View Post
Has anyone found a solution? Mine has just done it for the 4th time in about 2 years of ownership.

Last edited by cuddapah; 05-12-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #66
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

Do you know what your climate control settings were ? Whenever my car had this issue, I took pics to email to my attorney and service manager. I noticed that my climate control settings is set to 70degrees and I always have it on Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic87 View Post
Appreciate 0