New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I think there's one point that has been missed so far. BMW CCA events and many others do not allow convertibles to run on their 'driver ed' days and they class the hard top convertibles as convertibles just like the soft tops. So if you want to track the car the only option is the Cayman S from these two.

This has been debated in recent issues of Roundel and it seems to stem from the instructors reluctance to get in a convertible and the potential for the roll over protection to dig in if the vehicle flips.

Now since the OP is in Dubai he may be lucky and not have this issue, I know there used to be events in the UK where convertibles were allowed. However it's definitely a factor that needs to be considered.

Last edited by AndyE1976; 12-18-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm not quite sure why some people here are saying Z is more comfy than Cayman on DD.
Porsche is great for both DD and track.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I'm not quite sure why some people here are saying Z is more comfy than Cayman on DD.
Porsche is great for both DD and track.
i think it comes from the fact that BMW is generally the more luxurious brand (not b/c Porsche isn't luxurious, but b/c BMW is that much more focused on luxury (or more appropriately focused on the best combination of sport and luxury), whereas Porsche is much more focused on the performance aspect of things). when it comes down to it, you're probably right - the Cayman probably makes for just as nice a DD as the Z4 does. after all, we're comparing the Z4 to a Cayman, not the hardcore GT3. but for those who need just a bit more comfort, amenities, and luxury, i'm sure the Z4 has the slight edge as far as daily drivability goes.
      12-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #26
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

I've driven many a Boxster and that is not more comfortable then a Z4 (E85) in my opinion, so I couldn't imagine a Cayman being any more comfortable!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #27
Arth
Arth
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 GT3

Well basically i will be using the car i choose as a daily driver but i will definitely be getting some track days in (maybe once a month) around 12 per year.

Performance and emotions are more important to me than the looks of the car. but that doesn't take the fact away that i want a beautiful looking car.

After a lot of reading and viewing i think i'm finally gonna go for the 2009 Cayman S

Its had so many reviews and many claim it to be the best sports car you can buy right now(better than the base carrera).

2009 Porsche Cayman S PDK - First Drive - Motor Trend

Winding Road Magazine | Issue 41

auto motor und sport - Heft 01/2009 | auto motor und sport

SPEED - SPEEDtv.com

i appreciate all your feedback and opinions on the subject.

let me know if you think i'm making the wrong decision
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #28
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
well you know there are going to be those who don't approve of your decision - after all, we're on a BMW-biased forum. on the other hand, there will definitely be people who DO support your decision as well. but just like any other time someone asks for advice on what car to get, ultimately you have to follow your own heart. you have to get the one that's going to make you most happy, and not what's going to make everyone else happy.
      12-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #29
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well basically i will be using the car i choose as a daily driver but i will definitely be getting some track days in (maybe once a month) around 12 per year.

Performance and emotions are more important to me than the looks of the car. but that doesn't take the fact away that i want a beautiful looking car.

After a lot of reading and viewing i think i'm finally gonna go for the 2009 Cayman S

Its had so many reviews and many claim it to be the best sports car you can buy right now(better than the base carrera).

2009 Porsche Cayman S PDK - First Drive - Motor Trend

Winding Road Magazine | Issue 41

auto motor und sport - Heft 01/2009 | auto motor und sport

SPEED - SPEEDtv.com

i appreciate all your feedback and opinions on the subject.

You are making the wrong decision.

No just kidding, congrats on making the decision, it really is a near impossible one to make. But heres the even harder choice now... what color are you going to get?

Let us know how it goes with the Cayman and what color you plan on getting, i'm sure its going to be one amazing vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #30
Arth
Arth
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 GT3

Here is my order guys:

Cayman S

PDK

Meteor Grey Mettalic

Leather interior in special color Terracotta

19 inch Carrera S II wheel(chose this over the turbo wheels because no one has them on there caymans, they are cheaper and i loved the look of them).

Floor mats (terracotta)

PASM

Bi-xenon lighting sytem with dynamic cornering lights(include LED's).

Sport Seats

LSD

Sport chrono Package

PCM with navigation

arrives late march early april.

Thanks for all you advice... really helped in the decision making.

let me know what you think of the options..

ill keep you posted on when she arrives.... are pics welcome even though its bmw site
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Here is my order guys:

Cayman S

PDK

Meteor Grey Mettalic

19 inch Carrera S II wheel(chose this over the turbo wheels because no one has them on there caymans, they are cheaper and i loved the look of them).

Floor mats (terracotta)

PASM

Sport Seats

LSD

Sport chrono Package

PCM with navigation

ill keep you posted on when she arrives.... are pics welcome even though its bmw site
Except for the color, that's exactly how mine will be equipped. Great choice in the car and the options.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #32
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

What kind of comparison is this? Doesn't make sense. Use a Boxster at least.

I bought a Z4 when they first came out in 02. I sold that one after a few years and leased a Boxster S. After that I leased an M Roadster which I still have. I buy or lease BMW's simply because it just cost less to own/lease/maintain than a Porsche. The Cayman is one of the most successful marketing gimmicks ever pulled off as I've driven them before and found them to feel near identical to the Boxster S. Anyone who's driven both brands cannot doubt the overall superiority as a 'sports car' of the Boxster. I'm sure the new Z will be a nice car but has wandered even further from the raw roadster type. The new Boxster is even better than before. To save some money, I plan on leasing the new Z though if I didn't care about saving money each month, I would definitely get the Porsche.

Post your Cayman wishes somewhere else!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #33
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is my order guys:

Cayman S

PDK

Meteor Grey Mettalic

Floor mats (terracotta)

PASM

Sport Seats

LSD

Sport chrono Package

PCM with navigation

Sounds good! Make sure you come back and share pictures with us when you get the car. Hopefully I can share some pics of my Z4 with you by then. Well, probably a few months after you but hopefully the time will pass quickly!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #34
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenorino View Post
What kind of comparison is this? Doesn't make sense. Use a Boxster at least...

...Post your Cayman wishes somewhere else!
just because comparing the Z4 to the Cayman is "apples vs oranges" doesn't mean the comparison doesn't make sense. in fact, comparing the Z4 to a Boxster makes ZERO sense in this thread - not b/c the Z4 and Boxster aren't closer competitors than the Z4 and the Cayman, but b/c the OP is tryin to decide between a Z4 and a Cayman, not a Z4 and a Boxster...

besides, see post #30 - he's made up his mind
      12-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #35
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
just because comparing the Z4 to the Cayman is "apples vs oranges" doesn't mean the comparison doesn't make sense. in fact, comparing the Z4 to a Boxster makes ZERO sense in this thread - not b/c the Z4 and Boxster aren't closer competitors than the Z4 and the Cayman, but b/c the OP is tryin to decide between a Z4 and a Cayman, not a Z4 and a Boxster...

besides, see post #30 - he's made up his mind
Bingo.

I'd like to add that it is a very valid comparison since the new Z4 won't be offered as a hardtop. This new car will often be compared to both the boxster and the cayman. And it isn't exactly like either of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #36
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I know the price of the new Z4 hasn't been announced yet, but I struggle to spec a Cayman S on the Porsche site with even basic options for much less than $70k which to my mind puts it dollar-wise against a good spec E92 M3.

And I'm not choosing anything outrageous, leather seats, xenons, auto-air, heated seats - just the sort of things you should really get standard on a $55k car in the first place.

Porsche make great cars, but they make you pay for them on the options IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #37
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenorino View Post
Doesn't anyone read anything here or at least look at these cars from the company's perspective?? THERE WILL BE NO COUPE or softtop! The new Z with a folding hardtop covers all the bases and saves money! It also answers the upgrades BMW is looking for to match the SLK and to cover a bigger market segment (chicks/hairdressers) with a less hardcore roadster.

As far as Mr. Cayman, these cars are really not that similar. The new Porsche Boxster S will still be a better performing 'sports car' and anyone who knows cars cannot dispute that. The Z has always been a good alternative or second choice due to the high cost of owning a Porsche.
Did BMW ever put out any statement that there won't be a coupe?

If they haven't put out any statement like that, then I think it's pretty safe to assume that there will be a coupe version in a few years when the Z4 gets its facelift, just how the current model got the facelift, M treatment and coupe all at once a few years ago. Just because this is a hardtop doesn't mean BMW is putting the coupe aside... the E93 is a hardtop vert but BMW still brought the coupe.
      01-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #38
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Hmmm... electric power steering, electronic rear brake management, electronic e-brake...

I wonder how numb the driving experience will be on the track.

Therefore I'd choose the Cayman S without a second thought. At least it has a proper handbrake.
Why would you actually bother using a handbrake with a high-powered RWD car. How often do you actually use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #39
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

I hope I'm wrong, but based on size and body type, the only real comparison for the new z4 is going to be against the Lexus SC430 or the latest Infiniti G37 Coupe (which at least got a bigger better engine to go with its pig of a body). My current M Coupe will be my first and last BMW. There isn't anything wrong with the new Z4, it's just not in the same sports car class as the old Z4...

And for the person asking if anyone was going to track the new z4... yeah you can, but not competitively. Out of the box, you won't have the suspension, weight-advantage, non-run-flat tires, or limited-slip differential of the current e86 m coupe (all of which the Cayman S will have as of 2009). You'll get style points, for sure, but no matter how non-competitive an event is supposed to be, no one likes getting passed by "peer" type cars. (Although, as I stated before I do not belive any Porsche to be a peer of the e89+ z4). I also have to claim ignorance about the electronic hand brake...but if it automatically applies itself with no way to disable the function, then you won't ever be able to track the car, otherwise you'll end up immobile after a run (you never apply the hand brake when brakes are hot...bad bad bad)

Last edited by jragan; 01-01-2009 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #40
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is my order guys:

Cayman S

PDK

Meteor Grey Mettalic

Floor mats (terracotta)

PASM

Sport Seats

LSD

Sport chrono Package

PCM with navigation

You can't go wrong with buying cayman s.
Very hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #41
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Cayman S or normal Cayman, dont care, still no brainer. Can not compete with the driving pleasure of a Porsche.
Appreciate 0