New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Jack Roadster
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Annoying Rattle Source?

Now that the weather has turned cold, I am hearing an annoying rattle over my left shoulder. Once the car warms up and has been driven for a while it goes away. I've looked at everything I can see, including the trunk. Nothing obvious. Anyone have something similar? I don't want to start taking the trim pieces off. If I can't find it, I will take it in to the dealer to see what they can find.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Multiple threads on this issue (roof rattle) that has spanned for years.

Short answer: No real fix except temporary and very "ghetto" solutions at best (like taping the hinge on the roof with duct tape that sits onto the platform)

If you are under warranty, just bring it into the dealer. Doubt they can really do anything about it, though.

Brought mine in for noise about half a year ago. They fixed it!... for about a month. Then it came back and it's even louder now. Service again in a month, will bring it up again and see what they say...

With that said, since yours only occurs during cold weather and seem to disappear after it heats up, it could very well just be your seals and not a loose part. Get some lube/gel, put it on it, see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
If you are under warranty, just bring it into the dealer. Doubt they can really do anything about it, though.
Unfortunately, my experience has been that the dealer too can't track it down.

The dealer techs are very good, and were able to fix the roof noise (from opening and closing) by lubricating. However they couldn't find this rear deck rattle definitively. They tried some things like re-installing the roll hoop covers but nothing has really fixed the noise.

I've decided it is just how it is for having a convertible and will forget about it unless it gets a lot worse.
Appreciate 0