New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Advice on Z4 Speaker System

OK so my better half and I ordered a new Z4 at the end of Sept 09 and should be ready by end of Nov 09.

We've specified, amongst many other things, the 'business' sound system. I'm not one to go top down with the music blaring out where people can hear you coming before you arrive, but....can anyone give their opinion on whether the 'business' sound system is good enough system to use with the roof down etc.

I've heard the system on one of the dealers cars with the roof up and car switched off and it sounded great but appreciate that driving with the roof down is a totally different thing.

Does anyone know how much better (or not) the 'business' system is over the standard system?

Thanks in advance for any views and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

I think the business is the standard one. The next level is the professional one that delivers just the same output as the standard but has different display if you don't get the navi/i-drive, mp3 decoder and other minor things. I have the navi and the professional one and can only recommend you to go for the upgrated hi fi with the 11 or the 14 speakers. You will never regret it, trust me on this. You will thank me when you collect your beauty. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

I hesitate to disagree with janissa, but would venture another opinion. I have no experience with car stereos, but spent several years in audio production.

In the UK 'business' was the middle option between the base and 'professional' models and I chose it. I didn't personally like the pro option as most of the money seemed to be going into surround speaker type options that were touted for DVD playing (I am more of an audio man and did not get the integrated screen anyway). The explanation of the setup seemed very 'gimicky' to me. However the amp was also bigger on the pro system.

Having read through these forums since I gather that if you are really serious about your audio systems then none of the BMW options are really good enough for the job, so I'm glad I saved the money in the first instance. Mods can come later. There are many examples online here to browse through.

The business model mostly lacks mid-range detail for my ears. I have no problem with the bass response - for the money... As someone a little older who doesn't just need it to be a booming drum & bass unit (most of the time anyway) the lack of clarity in the middle is what really irks me. Bizarrely I find the sound evens out more with the top down than with it up. Seems the chamber with top-up has really lousy acoustics!

I would stress that I have not heard the pro system in situ. But if that amp is not substantially improved in mid-detail, and it is just about more power and speaker settings, then I am glad of my choice. In the future I will be looking to replace some speakers to see what can be done at reasonable cost. With many mod amps you will lose your steering wheel and other integrated functionalities, so be careful on your modding priorities.

Hope that helped

Tamman69
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Bram
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

Unfortunately I can't be as informative as the last post but I went for the 11 speaker business package and my car gets delivered on friday morning so if you hang fire I will be able to tell you if I think it was worth the money or not.
I know the standard speakers were attrocious so hopefully I made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Firstly, thanks to all for the comments and replies.

I should have made clear that the 'business' option is indeed the middle option (with 11 speakers + amp) between the standard setup (6 speakers) that comes with the car and the 'Professional' version (14 speakers + bigger amp and a few additional settings via Nav) here in the UK. It appears that the US market have 2 options: standard or pro and nothing inbetween so understand the confusion. Apologies.

@Bram: Please do post back when you get your car. Bet these are going to be some of the longest 2 days you've experienced. As far as I'm concerned, the 2 months I'm having to wait feel like years! Good luck, please post back and above all enjoy (though if it's anything like here in London you're not going to be driving with the roof down).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Bram
Rep

Yes I will definitely let you know. I've had to wait an agonising 8 weeks in total so I share your pain and frustration!
And by the way its as equally grim 'up north'!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Bram
Rep

Uodate re:Business speaker package.
I got my Z4 yesterday and am absolutely over the moon with it. Everything is perfect.
I am no doubt that the 11 speaker package was worth the money.
I don't claim to be an audio buff but to me, the quality of sound is great especially with the top down.
As with all options, the sky is the limit and I don't doubt that you can improve on it but my thinking is that unless you can directly compare one system to another you won't appreciate the difference.
My last car was an S2000 and the system was poor but adequate but after that system, the 11 speaker is like the equivelant of the 14 speaker package.

So, Ricci, I'll put my money on the fact you will be as chuffed with your set up I am with mine
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Bram,

Thanks for the update.

I'm no audiophile either but have read so many posts where owners are disappointed with the stock system that I began to wonder whether upgrading to the 'business' system was a large enough step to have a sound system which I could also enjoy with the roof down.

I feel reassured that I have taken the right step.

By the way, congrats on the new car. Don't forget to post pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Bram
Rep

I should have probably added that I have kept turning the stereo off to listen to the engine note! It's a sound that you just can't compare

Last edited by Bram; 10-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: typing error
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So maybe I didn't need to upgrade after all?

Did you get the twin turbo or NA?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Hey UK guys (and to Greece as well).

Clearly this conversation is good for you folks because options are different than the States. BTW, I'm googling the word "chuffed" as I write this post.

But I've been curious about some of BMW's option/package choices for the respective continents and assume that, take the UK for instance, maybe due to the weather you drive top down a little less than we do in the states (maybe more for all I know). But I wonder why you'd have a third choice - is it cost? Is there a tariff or something that results in this options costing more in the UK?

I'm aware of where the car is produced and that it's closer to you than me, but logic doesn't always prevail. FWIW
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Good question. Only BMW will know the real reasons why the options/packages differ in Europe to the States.

True that the 'Business' (middle) speaker option is cheaper than the 'Professional' version (GBP 545 compared to GBP 815) but then I've also noticed that in the States if you spec the 'Pro' version you get other options included (e.g. CD Changer).

And yep.......we likely drive, here in the UK, with the top down a little (for which read 'a lot') less than you guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
Good question. Only BMW will know the real reasons why the options/packages differ in Europe to the States.

True that the 'Business' (middle) speaker option is cheaper than the 'Professional' version (GBP 545 compared to GBP 815) but then I've also noticed that in the States if you spec the 'Pro' version you get other options included (e.g. CD Changer).

And yep.......we likely drive, here in the UK, with the top down a little (for which read 'a lot') less than you guys.
OK, thanks.

BTW, I hope you won't be dischuffed with your choice.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Pro HiFi

Not much help, as you're not shooting for the PRO version.....but I find that version quite staggeringly good - blood coming out of my ears - eyeballs vibrating....

Mind you, I'm over 55 and probably deaf, so my opinion can't count for much.

And, yes in the end, you turn it off to listen to the car.....what's that about?

Der..........
Appreciate 0