New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: How much do you tip waiters
10% or less 11 7.86%
Around 15% 33 23.57%
Around 20% 84 60.00%
25% or more 12 8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

10-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #45
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

if the bill has a TAX value (say 13%) then you know roughly you starting point
no need to calculate, just estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Nope, I'm smart enough to cipher that one in my head.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #46
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
not read every reply, so here's a question

1> WHAT are you tipping for...

* Service
* Quality of food

2> whom are you tipping ?

* Waiting staff/server
* kitchen staff

So here is the thing, the "whole" shabang is based on team work,
from the chef, the line cooks, even the pot washer, busboys, and the servers

ANY thing can fall down on one sloppy part OR be let down by one sloppy part,

Tipping your waiter on great service, sure, was the food fantastically cooked,
are you going to tip the cook? wait what about the guy who peeled the spuds and did a fantastic job on garnish.
Wait, the washroom was sparkling? Whom you gonna tip for that?
The glasses are sparkling clean, you going to tip the pot washer boy.

The food is disgusting, but the server was AAA+ how do you tip ?

feel free to chime in..........
You tip the wait staff based on quality of service you perceive they provided. So if the food is not satisfactory but the service is outstanding, the waiter generally shouldn't be penalized with a terrible (or no) tip.

Now, if the waiter brings the wrong order and it is obviously the wrong order, it may be a mistake by the kitchen or the waiter when he put in the order - you can't tell. However, the waiter should be checking the order before bringing it to the table. So demerit for the waiter if that happens. Same for forgetting to stop back to see if everything is ok, or if anything else is needed, as well as for either rushing you out the door or not bringing the check in a timely manner. A poor attitude and rudeness are also reasons for a waiter to expect a reduced a tip.

The hourly pay rate for waiters is lower than minimum wage for others, reflecting the fact they get tips for service. People washing dishes, cooking, garnish, etc. are not getting paid on the same basis. I suppose you could tip them if you want, but it is not customary. In some cases, I think the tips may be shared but that is between the restaurant staff, not the customer. Overall, I don't think its that complicated.
      10-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #47
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

No starting point but will go as high as 25%-30% for someone that clearly is going beyond their duties to allow you to have a great night

I've done a descent amount of work in the service industry within the past couple of years and I have to admit, my standards are quite high.

That being said, my mindset very much is that gratuity is earned, not deserved. This applies to all levels, from valet to a banquet manager for a large event.

It absolutely drives me F*CKIN CRAZY when someone does the bare minimum and then expects a solid gratuity.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #48
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
15-20% but still think it's absolutely absurd. Makes no fuckign sense at all. I go home (australia) and just pay the fucking bill and restaurants do just fine.
So much this.
The whole tipping culture in the United States is absurd and adds unnecessary complexity.
Yes, I know tipped jobs have lower [minimum] wages and on an individual level, servers live off tips, but in the grand scheme of things, this is an inherently flawed system.

In most other countries, tipping is either shunned upon, or included in the bill as a 10-15% service charge.
Employees are expected to do their job regardless.
None of that "I'll go get your server since you're not the one paying my tip" bullshit.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #49
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
not read every reply, so here's a question

1> WHAT are you tipping for...

* Service
* Quality of food

2> whom are you tipping ?

* Waiting staff/server
* kitchen staff

So here is the thing, the "whole" shabang is based on team work,
from the chef, the line cooks, even the pot washer, busboys, and the servers

ANY thing can fall down on one sloppy part OR be let down by one sloppy part,

Tipping your waiter on great service, sure, was the food fantastically cooked,
are you going to tip the cook? wait what about the guy who peeled the spuds and did a fantastic job on garnish.
Wait, the washroom was sparkling? Whom you gonna tip for that?
The glasses are sparkling clean, you going to tip the pot washer boy.

The food is disgusting, but the server was AAA+ how do you tip ?

feel free to chime in..........
A percentage of the servers' tips go to the kitchen staff, bar, and busboys so you are sort of tipping all of them.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      10-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #50
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Loved it in ozzie, no tipping! Just pay the bill. What a great concept.

I still left a tip.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      10-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #51
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
First off, I always ask for a female server. They’re better at customer service. I give 25-40% if they give me their number. 3-6% and a bad review if they don’t give me their phone number.
Thanks for upholding that BMW-douchebag stereotype - stay classy. And make sure to never, ever go to the same place twice because servers have a loooong memory for your type, and will be sure you get a little something special with your next meal.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #52
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Now, if the waiter brings the wrong order and it is obviously the wrong order, it may be a mistake by the kitchen or the waiter when he put in the order - you can't tell.
Now this is where you are **VERY WRONG**! It is totally 100% ***IMPOSSIBLE****** for it to be a kitchen staff error if the error makes it to your table. It's either your server that left the kitchen wrong, took it off the tray wrong, another server that ran the food wrong, or your server put in the order wrong.

You can ***********EASILY TELL****************** WITH YOUR *******************EYES****************************. You don't sound smart to say such a thing.

This is a random picture on the internet from some lady at a Chili's and LOOK at her plate:

You can clearly **SEE** she has for example sour cream on her plate, beans, rice, and quesadillas(looks like chicken as since this is a picture I can't for sure tell, but anyway). If someone orders a fries instead of rice, shouldn't the server be able to tell what fries look like and what rice looks like **BEFORE*** they ****SERVE***** IT, HUH?

So let's say a customer asked for steak quesadillas, those sure aren't dark in color I can easily tell there's no way that's steak. So unless it is the original server that put in the order wrong, if either the original server or another server runs that food, if that lady ordered steak quesadillas, there should be no reason what-so-ever that should make it to the customer's table. The server that runs the food can ask to see the ticket if it's another server. If it's your own server, they should have it written down and compare it to the food. Since it's several slices of chicken, there's no way it would be an honest mistake to bring that out to miss all of those pieces of chicken if you really honestly verified the order with the written order or ticket. The only way it can make it to the customer with verifying it is if the original server put in the order wrong for that(they put for example chicken instead of steak) and then another server ran the food wrong.

What really makes me mad about your sentences I quoted, you said "OBVIOUSLY WRONG" that means it should be "OBVIOUSLY WRONG" for whoever brings it out(unless your server put in the order wrong and another server brings out your food to you, well then you can blame your server on that one and not the server that ran the food).

If you can see something wrong **WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING the food***, then your server or another server(as long as the order was put in correctly) should have noticed this ****BEFORE*** they left the kitchen with it.

You have to use some **COMMON SENSE** just like at home if you were at home if you left a room and then went into another without the correct item, you aren't blind or illiterate are you? Even if someone gave you a list to get at a store, if you are not blind or illiterate or need glasses, you should be able to get the correct item if they have it at the store. If you leave the store buying the wrong item, because you didn't pay attention, how the hell do you blame the person that gave you the information if the information they gave you was indeed the correct information, huh? Doesn't make **ANY** sense, does it? Use REAL LIFE in your analogies, DUHH! Now if they gave you the wrong info and you bought the wrong item, then that's on them. It's NO DIFFERENT*****NO DIFFERENT*********** than a server serving food. Why can't people grasp this, huh?

My husband and I dined once at a seafood restaurant. Our waiter brought out our 2 entrées and another table's entrées, set the tray on top the tray jack down. I watched as he **AIMLESSLY* handed out plates of food, but NEVER ONCE, NOT ONCE got his pad of paper out to compare which table had which entrées. Our waiter put in front of my husband fried shrimp with fries when my husband ordered crawfish au gratin with a baked potato. It turns out, we thought the waiter put in the order wrong, NOPE, our waiter admitted he brought the wrong plate of food out and didn't bring out on the entire tray my husband's food. So do you see how our waiter didn't put forth **ANY** (***************EFFORT *******************) into the job?

The side dishes were even wrong even. That's how LAZY he was, not only to not verify it when he left the kitchen, but to also not verify it even when the plates of food were on top the tray on top the tray jack. HOW LAZY and UNCARING can you get, you know? He could have easily CAUGHT his mistake and not put in front of my husband ANY entrée as there was none on his tray he brought out to being with. Instead he took NO EFFORT what-so-ever into even trying to get it right. That's just pure laziness PERIOD! He did apologize, but it was ridiculous he did that to begin with. He should have known what he was bringing out the kitchen and when he was taking each plate off the tray, he REALLY should have made 100% SURE of what plate he was handing out. That's why servers should not do more than one table like that. He should have gone in the order of turns that if theirs were ready before ours, he should have brought just theirs. If ours were ready before theirs, he should have just brought ours and not made one trip. By doing it the way he did it, while you may all say efficiency, but it's much easier to get ******MIXED UP****** when you do 2 tables in 1 trip and that's what he did. He didn't even *****TRY******** to get it right.

Quote:
However, the waiter should be checking the order before bringing it to the table. So demerit for the waiter if that happens.
So you are **CONTRADICTING YOURSELF** here. You say you can't tell if they bring it out OBVIOUSLY wrong, then say they should check it. You can't have both. Your server should know what you ordered and check it BEFORE they leave the kitchen and again if they have 2 or more table's plates of food on a tray they need to verify which table had what. They also need to get their pad and paper out to see "the man on my right side when I face them had such-n-such, the lady had such-n-such on my left" Especially if you are dealing with a large party, you should know where you give it, not auction it off asking "Who had the whatever" if you are their server. Now if you aren't their server, well yeah, then you won't know who ordered what, but if you are their server, you darn well should know from the written order.

You wrote "obviously wrong" and that's the issues I am talking about, things that you don't have to actually "TOUCH" to notice they are wrong or missing. If you have to touch the food to notice it's wrong, then it's either the kitchen staff's fault or your server put in the order wrong or if another server ran the food if the original server put in the order correctly then the kitchen staff would be at fault for something you'd have to touch. Even then, it depends on WHAT it was. If I knew my customer said they were allergic or didn't want pickles on their closed-faced burger, I'd ask the expo to lift the bun BEFORE leaving the kitchen to make sure my customer doesn't get pickles on their burger. That is something else that can be done as well that even though the server can't touch the food, a member of the kitchen staff sure can and this way, it prevents having to have it sent back and being served wrong.

Quote:
Same for forgetting to stop back to see if everything is ok, or if anything else is needed, as well as for either rushing you out the door or not bringing the check in a timely manner. A poor attitude and rudeness are also reasons for a waiter to expect a reduced a tip.

Sometimes if things are really bad, they may end up with no tip at all if things are really horrible. Rudeness is very high on my list of either a very low tip to a stiff, because there's no excuse for that, NONE!

Last edited by Springs1; 10-20-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #53
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I didn't read all that but I do remember you as the woman who became unhinged the last time there was a thread like this one. You must scour the internet daily for threads on forums about restaurant service. Lol.
      10-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #54
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

That's retarded. Anyone can make a mistake including the kitchen staff. Do you work in the kitchen and are infallible?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #55
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
so if it takes longer than usual to get my food, more than likely due to management running a skeleton crew, I don't blame servers for doing little things for the greater good of the restaurant.
It's not more than likely due to management, it's more than likely due to ***YOUR SERVER*** IN *********ALL HONESTY*********, here's why:

Ask yourself these questions as a server:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrées before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entrée is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

8. Servers DO wait to put in entrée orders when appetizers, side salads, or cups of soup are ordered. THAT *IS* THE GOD’S TRUTH! Sometimes it’s TOO LONG THEY WAIT! If it’s another server, it still doesn’t make it the kitchen staff’s fault I have the wrong side dish for example since that is something that’s obvious. It’s either my server that didn’t put in my order correctly or this other server that didn’t compare the ticket to the food or that this other server did compare the ticket to the food, but just missed it(HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but possible).

9. WHEN do you come to GET MY ORDER? That part is covered in #2 below.

10. WHEN do you DECIDE to LET ME ORDER? That part is covered in #4 below.

11. WHEN do you decide to DELIVER MY FOOD? That part is covered in #1 below.

12. Do you, because they are out of something, decide to assume everyone wants the closest thing so you do the ordering for me? That part is covered in #3 below.

13. WHEN do you decide to check up on WHERE the food is? If the kitchen staff somehow lost the ticket, did you wait 30 minutes and then decide to find out that or did you check after 10-15 minutes to see that our food was getting started on?

1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!

2. Once, we had a waitress that greeted us which we ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks when greeted. I saw she tucking in chairs at empty tables and pretty much doing everything but coming back to get our entrée order. Well, I found out what happened. She brought out our appetizer and when I asked she said that she wanted to wait to put in our entrée orders. The thing is, that delayed us more by not at least coming to GET our orders. That way, when the appetizer was ready, we wouldn’t have gotten delayed eating our appetizer since we then had to give our entrée orders when we could have given our entrée orders WELL BEFORE THAT and we would have gotten our entrées faster due to that she could have just left to put our entrée orders into the computer after delivering our appetizer instead of taking time to order when our appetizer was sitting in front of us. The point is, SHE delayed our entrées as well as to be able to start eating our appetizer because she could have at least TAKEN our entrée orders and then when our appetizer would have been brought out, could have immediately gone to the computer to put our entrée orders in. What she did was make us wait while our hot appetizer was sitting in front of us, we couldn’t touch it, because we had to order our entrées and could have done that wayyy before that. She also delayed our entrées because we had to spend extra time AFTER our appetizer arrived to give her our entrée orders when we could have done that wayyyy before that.

3. Once, we had a waitress that assumed that because they were out of raspberry topping for a cheesecake slice when we had ordered dessert that she’d bring us strawberry. Turns out, she knew when she put in the order that the computer had it the manager told us. So she did it on PURPOSE to be so lazy and uncaring as to not come to ask if we wanted the next closest thing. We didn’t, we sent it back, so she had MORE WORK. Also, she didn’t even think about what if someone is allergic to strawberries. I just honestly can’t believe someone would do that. If they are out of something, common sense would be to come to see if the next closest thing is ok. Not everyone wants the next closest thing. So it wasn’t like it was just getting the order wrong by accident or by not verifying the written order with what she was bringing or putting in the order wrong by accident, this was on PURPOSE to be LAZY and to ASSUME. I didn’t know at first that she did that. I thought at first she just was that stupid(or truly just messed up(highly doubt it)) to bring us strawberries on top of a cheesecake when we ordered raspberries.

We have also had servers not come to get our order due to playing around. Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server: My husband and I have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 8 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar. Once a waitress forgot to put in a bar drink into the computer. Two of the 3 times it was an appetizer and the servers ADMITTED doing so. The third time was a cup of bisque which is normally served before a meal just like a side salad is. My husband and I also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I’ll be right with you all), one waiter I saw decided to take a party of 6 people’s drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders into the computer. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don’t, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!! So truly think about that MOST of the time when you wait a LONG TIME for your food or bar drinks even, it could be the server’s fault. 9 times out of 10, your server had *SOMETHING* to do with the delay in most cases! That’s the GOD’S TRUTH!

Here's some people that have done that job that have said what I am saying:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ti...337603/page-14

flowwiththego said:

Quote:
Springs does make some good points. In my experience, at least half the time if not more it is the servers fault when food takes too long. for example, I hate when the servers hold their tix and put in 4 (or even three) at once. They are not allowed to do that. So the first table has to wait extra long and other servers got tix in also. I can’t tell you how many times someone will say they have been here for 45 minutes and the tix time says they were 20 minutes.
flowwiththego said:
Quote:
I had a server last year who twice in one day did not realize she had customers waiting and hour and did not get food. One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did? We were slammed but still. Like I wrote it is a tough profession that most people couldn't do.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ti...337603/page-26

flowwiththego said:
Quote:
yesterday we had five tables come in literally at once. No other ticket on the board at the time. Two three tops and three two tops. The two waitresses alternate tables when their is only two of them. Now the one waitress is the only one who consistently asks us where her food is and that her table is getting mad. Well, guess what I observed her doing? She put three orders in at once. She got the first table then went to the next table and after that went to the next table. I was nice but explained that what she was doing was against company policy. I explained that her first table had to wait and that the other server got her tix in before her even though her first table was there before everyone else. I also told her that at least 75% of the time it is the servers fault when an order takes too long. I also told her that we know now why she is the only server who has customers getting mad because their food took too long on a consistent basis. I told her if she needed to save time to get faster on the pos system.
Read what Stef 319 said:

http://howtobeagoodserver.blogspot.c...?commentPage=4

She is responding to MT's comment and this was a waitress at a Red Lobster. I had gone on her blog, she came onto mine agreeing with me. Her blog has since been deleted, so I can't go on hers, but her comment is still on my blog.

Stef319 said:

Quote:
MT "Your system of never taking another tables drink order before turning in a ticket would back you up terribly, not to mention the humongous quantity of time you'd waste checking plates and menu prices. It would take you forever to get anything done."

In my opinion, MT, once an order is taken, it should be put into the computer IMMEDIATELY. Once my guests place their order with me, the clock begins to tick. They should be getting their apps 5-10 minutes after they PLACE their order, and their entrees should take between 20-30 minutes (where I work). You really should not start off a new table with an appetizer or dinner order on hold. The guests who just placed their order (who are hungry) are watching you approach another table. You then have to build your rapport, go over the specials, and possibly answer questions. This can potentially be very time consuming and your guests are not going to appreciate the delay in your service. There are other times when it is acceptable to work all your tables together, but when you have a food order you shouldn't be doing this. The correct way to handle this is to approach the table (with the other tables' menus in hand) and acknowledge their presence, and tell them YOU WILL BE RIGHT BACK. Then you ring in the order, go back to the table, and then you can do your greeting, go over specials, answer questions, etc. Now you can take your time with the new table cause you know that your other tables' food is getting worked on by the kitchen. I know that this can be time-consuming but it really is worth it. Waste no time getting food orders in. August 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Stef319 and flowwiththego tells you sometimes servers hold the orders on their pads of paper and do not enter them for SEVERAL MINUTES when they weren't even called over and they did not have any previously ordered items to deliver either. That COST the customers time the orders that aren't being entered into the computer in a timely fashion. It's creating for example if a server is triple sat, all 3 table's foods take longer rather than just 1. It's also cutting turns. Why should the 3rd table that wasn't even waiting in the waiting area when we arrived get their food orders put in at the SAME TIME as ours? That's so not fair, is it?

As I talked about above, do you really think it's right to greet a party of 6 and not go put in our food orders? What servers are SUPPOSED to do is say "I'll be right with you all in just a moment" to let them know they will be waited on and the server knows they are there, but to take up time talking about specials ordering appetizers and bar drinks or even fully ordering entrées as well as all that other stuff at the greeting can you imagine how long you can be there with 6 people even asking questions and/or modifying items, especially if there's kids involved where the parents say "Do you want this or this" and the kids like "I don't know mom", etc. Talk about time consuming. Meanwhile the kitchen staff has ZERO CLUE about the orders, ZERO!

flowwiththego is saying that the server could have **CHECKED UP ON WHERE THE FOOD WAS SOONER*** rather than later as she did. This sentence: "One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did?"

This person said that she didn't check up on the customer's food, so even though the cooks put the order on the "done" spindle, she didn't go check up in the kitchen where is that table's food at that ordered **WELL BEFORE** these other tables.

So when you want to be **HONEST**, let me know, because the truth is it's nothing you can disagree with. I have people that are saying I am right. You know, because I am.

This below is a good example of a customer that had a situation we had gone through(me and my husband) a number of times throughout the years.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dini...r-s-fault.html

davie355 said :
Quote:
At lunch today, 15 minutes after we ordered entrees, our server said they'd be out in a few minutes. After another 15 minutes, she said they'd be a few more minutes because she had forgotten to submit our order to the kitchen Our server provided all this info on her own initiative; we never asked. She was polite, and she apologized in passing for the delay, but this was a substantial delay, relative to the times I've dined in the past. (The restaurant is attached to a full-service boutique hotel.) We did not complain in any way about the delay, or about anything, for that matter. I decided that if we received any compensation, such as dessert, I'd tip a normal amount, but that if we received nothing, I would tip nothing. We didn't ask for or receive any compensation. My dining companion insisted I tip something because the server wasn't rude, and I agreed, so I gave 12.5%. What would you have done?
See, I would have not left anything. That's just neglect period! She should have asked the manager to comp something even a soft drink off the bill or 2 would have been the morally right thing to do in that situation. To not get anything for the huge delay is just selfish. Any good server would pay out of their own pocket for a soft drink if they expected a tip of any kind for taking up someone else's time out of their day. Anything major like that should get a comp, period, even if the SERVER themself has to pay for it. At the point where she was asked about it the first time, she should have investigated it PERIOD. With her doing all of that mess, I don't care what comp I would have had, I wouldn't have tipped, because the customer kept asking and getting ignored over and over again.

Once, a waiter we had admitted he forgot to put our appetizer order in. What he did is why he got 16% BEFORE the discount. He profusely apologize said he was "SO SORRY", then he offered something for free for us. We told him that we'd rather have something off the bill that we had ordered a lot of food. He came back to say he couldn't take the appetizer off, I was like "I don't care if it's just a coke, it's better than nothing." He comes back with $5 off. Now I did see why he did this in the first place. After he took our appetizer order as we ordered it when we were greeted, he HUGGED a lady he knew. That's why he messed up. While it's nice to hug people, at work you are really supposed to be doing YOUR JOB, NOT playing around. Well that's why he forgot. What happened is my husband had asked about where our appetizer was because it was taking a while and that's when he discovered what he had done. He handled it the way I would have in EVERY MANNER POSSIBLE if I would have been the server forgetting to put an order in(although my reason sure wouldn't have been to hug someone as my job is my job and I am not supposed to be doing play stuff on the job, I 'm not). If he would have done like the customer above(davie355), no tip would have been given. Saying you are sorry is part of it, but taking away someone's time from them is the most precious thing you cannot replace, so the right thing to do is to comp something whether it's from the server's pocket or the restaurant's pocket. It's just the right thing to do. In davie355's case, he kept asking his waitress and she just kept ignoring him. She really didn't care. I cannot believe he tipped the uncaring waitress. An apology is important too, because if our waiter would only have comped something, but no apology, he would not have received a tip either, it's GOT TO BE BOTH admitting fault and the comp for something major like that.

Once, at an Italian restaurant, my husband ordered a side salad, I didn't, and we did order an appetizer. We received our appetizer, but later on our waitress said "Your food should be out shortly" that's when we knew 100% certainty she forgot to bring his side salad and that's when my husband spoke up to say "My side salad is coming right?" Instead of saying she was sorry, not only did she not do that, but she brought out on a tray another table's side salads apparently she forgot to bring to another couple and gave them theirs first the B***. Seriously, I cannot believe someone did that. If you forget something, you just bring theirs first, and make a separate trip as the other couple didn't know, which we knew she forgot, but she never admitted, no comp either. She admitted it in a way by saying that our food would be out in a few minutes so it's common sense she forgot to bring him his salad, because she would have never said that. We gave her something like 10% or something like that, but should have not given her anything looking back on it honestly. She was being dishonest and then unfair cutting turns as we asked about our side salad first and the other couple obviously ordered well after us if our entrées were almost ready compared to theirs. My husband still mentioned it first though.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/for...next=1#replies

AutymsMommy said:
Quote:
I was a bartender during college and I can tell you that in my bar, it was generally the servers fault when bar drinks didn't get to a table in a decent amount of time. I would make service drinks first (I could entertain my bar customers easier than you can explain to a table why it's taking so long to get a drink)... put them on the service bar and the waiters were supposed to pick them up. I can't tell you how many times those drinks would sit there for 5-10 minutes. Then I would have the server bringing the drink back complaining that the customer said it was "watered down".*insert eyeroll*
Isn't that something that from a *BARTENDER* HERSELF she says that it's most of the time the *SERVER'S FAULT*, HMMM, ISN'T THAT SOMETHING, HUH?????

WHY would these people that actually **DO*** THE JOB actually TELL you this if this wasn't **TRUE** huh???

My point is, you should be blaming your server in most cases for delayed food or bar drinks in all honestly.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #56
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That's retarded. Anyone can make a mistake including the kitchen staff. Do you work in the kitchen and are infallible?
No, it's not retarded, it's the TRUTH though that most of the time it's not the kitchen staff is my point. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT?

The kitchen staff is ******RARELY **************** at fault for issues.

Kitchen staff is not infallible, but who makes the most mistakes? The servers and other servers that run the food do.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #57
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I didn't read all that but I do remember you as the woman who became unhinged the last time there was a thread like this one. You must scour the internet daily for threads on forums about restaurant service. Lol.
You didn't read it, because you know it's the TRUTH that most of the time when you have something wrong with your food, it's *********EASY******************* to tell, NOT that you can't tell. YOU said that you can't tell. YOU CAN if you LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK at your food, DUHH!

So when our waiter put in front of my husband fried shrimp with fries when my husband ordered crawfish au gratin with a baked potato, you mean to tell me that our waiter couldn't tell the differences in the food, huh? That is what you originally said that you can't tell if it's a kitchen staff error or not. HOW can you NOT see that our waiter SERVED us food wrong? I don't care if it would have been the kitchen staff would have made it wrong, the fact that our waiter *********BROUGHT IT OUT *(**OBVIOUSLY**WRONG**********) as you said "obviously wrong" in your post.

If your server put in the order correctly, anybody that runs the food (your server or another server), if they run it obviously wrong, it's on that person that ran the food. If your server put in the order wrong, then it's your server's fault even more if they stupidly still run the food to you wrong. If they do like the waiter did, he put the order in right, just didn't bring it out to our table correctly. That's on the server, NOT ANYONE ELSE!

Most of the issues are OBVIOUSLY WRONG, therefore, most of the issues ARE NOT kitchen staff issues. Do you understand now how you are VERY WRONG, HUH?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #58
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure I understand. Would it be possible for you to elaborate?
jaye9441007.00
Mingwan1891.00
      10-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #59
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

OH I SO fragging hate that, like a cancer. I automatically, dock tip points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
None of that "I'll go get your server since you're not the one paying my tip" bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #60
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No its spam
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #61
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Dude when I was on holiday there, I was in a cab, before paid to get out the driver said, "listen mate, I understand your a brit, but in OZ we don't accept tips, it's not the done thing, so just pay the bill as is"

I replied, "back home we tip cabbies, I'd feel kinda bad if I don't because we had a good chat and you talked me around town as you where driving" I gave him a 20 and said to keep the change.

He was cool about it.

The attitude is, "just pay me for doing my job, nothing more nothing less" If I haven't done my job properly, still pay up, but complain to my boss. If I've done good tell my boss, and I'll get better than a tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Loved it in ozzie, no tipping! Just pay the bill. What a great concept.

I still left a tip.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #62
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

what da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Now this is where you are **VERY WRONG**! It is totally 100% ***IMPOSSIBLE****** for it to be a kitchen staff error if the error makes it to your table. It's either your server that left the kitchen wrong, took it off the tray wrong, another server that ran the food wrong, or your server put in the order wrong.

Sometimes if things are really bad, they may end up with no tip at all if things are really horrible. Rudeness is very high on my list of either a very low tip to a stiff, because there's no excuse for that, NONE!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #63
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Any obvious wrong food that is served at your table is NEVER the kitchen staff's fault. Is that easy enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #64
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
what da

If you are given the wrong food, how would it be possible to be a kitchen staff error if whoever is bringing you the food can SEE? It's either your server that put in the order wrong if another server runs the food or your own server that runs the food wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #65
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
No its spam
Nope, no spam. Just reality.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #66
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Quote:
Any obvious wrong food that is served at your table is NEVER the kitchen staff's fault. Is that easy enough for you?
I don't understand why you are blaming the kitchen staff for everything. I know it doesn't happen often, but waiters make mistakes too. Also, sometimes it's raining out.