New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #23
unixphone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 & 2014 Z4

Sorry for this dumb question. This is my first bimmer. How much is Z4 2014 extended warranty and how much longer it last?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #24
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I've never been a big fan of extended warranties however since my 2011 35i warranty is about to expire and I'm a bit concerned over the potential cost of repair for twin turbos, DCT and power top I reversed my thinking.

My credit union offers extended warranties through a company called IWS. Credit union dude said they have had good success with them and no complaints. You can have your car repaired at a BMW dealer (IWS says they "partner" with BMW). I confirmed with my local dealer that they do accept IWS's warranty program. BBB rated A+

I purchased a 4 year 80K miles (I have 23K on the clock), Platinum Plan (Exclusion policy that covers everything except of course maintenance items) Transferable to next owner for $45. Or you can get a prorated refund. Usual road side service, car rental etc.

Cost was $1576 including tax. Supposedly since this goes through credit unions only there is a discount. ?? BMW warranties seem to run $2500 to 3000 depending on coverage.

Just thought I'd pass along if anyone is considering purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #25
TheLaw2310
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw Z4 sDrive30i

Hard top won’t open

I just bought a used 2009 z4 sDrive30i one month ago. Yesterday I parked my car and began closing the hard top, not noticing that it’s not yet done I tried to close the windows and then everything froze. It wouldn’t latch onto the lock and when I finally get that to somehow work (miracle most likely) I tried to open the top to make sure nothing was wrong. When I tried that it wouldn’t open, not even halfway the rear window panel would lift about 6 inches and then it stops I tried holding the button nothing tried to have my brother push it up while I hold the button also nothing. It won’t go down unless I turn of the car and take the key out and then it drops down then I have to turn the car back on and press the close button to have it latch on the lock to be able to close the windows and use the trunk. Someone please tell me this is fixable. I want to fix it myself. Definitely don’t want to go to the dealership. Please help me figure what the problem is and a solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #26
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

I had similar concerns so I bought an extended 7 year warranty and paid extra to include hardtop electronics and hydraulics. It wasn't cheap at $4000 but one visit to the stealership for a top problem could beat the premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
TheLaw2310
Rep

Thank you for replying but I’m a high school student and can’t quite afford 4000 dollar so I want to fix it myself to learn my car better and to save a couple bucks I have all the tools that I would need.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Ok ... the top is tricky stuff, or can be. That said, can I start with a question? Have you noticed any issues at all with the outside temperature display in your instrument cluster? Like does it ever display a wacky negative outside temperature?

Filippo
      04-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #29
TheLaw2310
Rep

No non of that kind of problem
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #30
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw2310 View Post
Thank you for replying but I’m a high school student and can’t quite afford 4000 dollar so I want to fix it myself to learn my car better and to save a couple bucks I have all the tools that I would need.
Let me just throw in that, while I applaud you for wanting to jump right in and learn something about your car (especially at your tender young age!), you need to understand that you've landed yourself in a mechanically complex piece of machinery that was not designed with the home mechanic in mind. BMW dealerships and indie shops charge a lot to keep these cars running and there's a reason for that. Don't expect to be able to wrench on this like your father did his '57 Chevy back in the day. The electronics and lack of diagnostic equipment and training will often stop you dead in your tracks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #31
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

paris1 is pretty much spot on with this. I think the roof has 14 sensors, many are Hall-Effect (I don't recall how many or all), a Top Control Module (known as the TCM). It also takes other signals to do its work, such as the outside temperature sensor values put on the CANBUS by the Combox. If you mind is dizzying a bit with the a details, that was a bit of the point.

On top of the sensors, the wiring harness is prone to have wires break - just looking at how the harness is attached to the articulating arm, and how the wires bend ... trail of tears there. It's a wicked cool roof, but you really want to be able to talk to the TCM (that requires BMW software) and I imagine there is some diagnostic capabilities (e.g. certain sensors are out of range), but I don't know that for certain. I have all the hardware to talk to the car but I've not undertaken this task ... I pray I never have to deal with the roof, but I think that's unlikely. What's worse ... finding a BMW tech that actually knows the roofs and is not flying blind by the hour, throwing parts at it ....

That said, it starts with some education. Here are many of the technical documents written by BMW on the E89 Z4:
Read the roof operation section: ST901 - E89 Complete Vehicle.pdf.
Here is my BMW E89 Z4 Technical Document Archive.

Also, in your description, I understood what happened to you the first time it failed. But that said, can you describe what happens now, if you go out to the car and operate the top?

One last thing - the E89 top probably operates quite similarly to the E92 convertible, from a reference perspective. Given only 10,000 Z4s were sold in the USA, that may give a larger cross-section of information. Also there is a British z4-forum ... Google it.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 04-08-2018 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #32
TheLaw2310
Rep

Thank you all for the advice and I get that now. So I think I’m gonna save some money and go to the dealership and have them fix it up for me. Now when I try to operate my top, the rear window panel comes up about three inches and just stops like something is blocking it even when I try to lift it my self to give it an extra push ,it just won’t budge. And then neither the close or open buttons seem to work they just flash red. To bring it back down I turn off the car and take the key out and the panel somehow just comes down. Then I would have to turn the car back on to have it latch and lock in.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 01:24 AM   #33
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Quote:
I think I’m gonna save some money and go to the dealership and have them fix it up for me
This does not compute for me. If you're a high-school student wanting to save some $$, I'd ignore the roof-top altogether (given that it does not interfere with the function of the vehicle) and reserve that cash for more pressing problems that are likely to arise in the future.

This is going to cost an awfully a lot of money at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #34
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Might be time well spent to see if you can find a good independent shop in your area OP who can diagnose and repair for less than dealer. Although, with a top issue, I’m not sure that’s possible.😩
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #35
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice and I get that now. So I think I’m gonna save some money and go to the dealership and have them fix it up for me. Now when I try to operate my top, the rear window panel comes up about three inches and just stops like something is blocking it even when I try to lift it my self to give it an extra push ,it just won’t budge. And then neither the close or open buttons seem to work they just flash red. To bring it back down I turn off the car and take the key out and the panel somehow just comes down. Then I would have to turn the car back on to have it latch and lock in.
BaaQaf ... any thoughts on where this young man could take his Z4 in Florida to get some roof/window diagnostics done? Independent shop that knows E92 verts, maybe?

Filippo
      04-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #36
TheLaw2310
Rep

Just want to say that I really appreciate everyone in here coming out replying and helping out with advice in the most friendliest manner. Me being a 17 yearold just now starting to get into cars it sure is helpful to get some advice from some experienced people. I never really believed in the “search it up on the forums” until now. Thanks everyone for your valuable tips and advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #37
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

The E89 at 17 years of age must have made you the cool kid at school instantly, lol! Well done! I came to school on a bicycle being hold together by ducttape! Just keep in mind that it is not a cheap car to own, even if it doesn't throw shit at you.

This week I had my first roof problem on my 2010 23i. Windows go down, rear glas starts to rise and then seems to struggle to go up. The red warning light comes on on the dash, the rear panel bounces up and down as if the weight is too heavy. While this happened, I was in the sun on an inclined road so I thought the inclination might had to do with it. So I closed it again and drove closed that day.

Today, same problem. I was on a level, sunny busy street. The terrases were full with people outside bars and restaurants so I closed it quickly again cause I did not want to look like a fool with a half open stuck roof, lol. I drove on.

Found a quiet level parking place, tried it again: same issue. So I got out of the car, tried to open the roof with the keyfob and helped manually raise the rear glass panel and that worked. Drove home, closed her, no issue.

Tonight I wanted to make a video of the issue. Car was level, in the shade, opened without any problem.... Obviously....

I've read somewhere that a faulty exterior temperature sensor, strangely enough, can have an impact on the roof working properly. Every time the car has been in the sun, the issue seems to arise. Now, it is rather likely this car will be parked in the sun so I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if I can detect a pattern.

Final comment: washed my car today and found that the black plastic panel on the lower right backside behind the passenger seat had all kind of white stuff on it. I did not think much of it and wiped it clean but perhaps it was some hydraulic fluid that leaked during winter storage? No idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #38
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Be aware of the dreaded footwell control module. Check to see if you qualify: http://bmw-rp.com/production/bmw/rei...bmw_portal.nsf

Filippo
      04-20-2018, 02:48 AM   #39
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Be aware of the dreaded footwell control module. Check to see if you qualify: http://bmw-rp.com/production/bmw/rei...bmw_portal.nsf

Filippo
My Vin results as not part of the reimboursement programm. Perhaps Thelaw2310?

What is the dreaded issue with the footwell module? Expensive thingy to break I assume?
Appreciate 0