New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

E89 DSC vs. DCT

I have read through all the BMW material I can find regarding the operation of the E89 and other BMW DSC and DCT systems. I have never read such vague and mealy mouthed explanations of how these features actually work and what they actually do. I mean specifically. Can anyone give me a good reference to what actually happens in DSC? What parameters are measured? What actions are implemented and by which system? The same for DCT. The systems are very similar but what are the specific differences? I know I'm not the only one who would like the answer to these questions. I've read many forum posts but most are speculation or suppositions. Can anyone point me to a site with real facts?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

You must mean DSC and DTC. DCT stands for dual clutch transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
You must mean DSC and DTC. DCT stands for dual clutch transmission.
Oops. 😕😕
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Try this

http://weblog.pac1.net/_Documents/14...escription.pdf

page 77

Even with the chart it is still confusing because of language interpetation.
DTC is a part of DSC but when you turn it on by pressing the button you turn off some of the functions of DSC which the translation confuses.
Also it has been "updated" over the years and depending on engine.
I know that autox turns will cause it to reduce throttle as well as apply brakes.

Would like to know if you are experiencing any fuel or oil starvation when autoxing.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

DTC: Uses wheel speed sensors to determine when the tires are spinning under acceleration. When turned on it will cut throttle to prevent burnouts.

DSC: Uses wheel speed, steering angle, and yaw sensors to determine if the car isn't heading the the direction the driver wants. When turned on this lets it detect understeer, oversteer, or 4 wheel slides and uses a combination of cutting throttle and braking individual wheels to get the car pointing in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post

page 77

Even with the chart it is still confusing because of language interpetation.
DTC is a part of DSC but when you turn it on by pressing the button you turn off some of the functions of DSC which the translation confuses.
Also it has been "updated" over the years and depending on engine.
I know that autox turns will cause it to reduce throttle as well as apply brakes.

Would like to know if you are experiencing any fuel or oil starvation when autoxing.
Good question. I don't know. How can you tell about oil starvation without an oil pressure gauge. I always used to tee a low oil pressure light switch at the oil pressure gauge sender so I would know if I had oil starvation. Can't do it on 3.0 engine. Now fuel starvation is another matter. I've had experience of flooring car off hard corner not stumbling but having a lag in acceleration. Can't tell whether it was throttle being pulled back by DSC or DTC or by fuel starvation.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Still confused. How do you shut off both DSC AND DTC? If I read the explanations you can't turn off the DTC. I want to drive car myself. I don't want the BMW nanny to help me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

To shut off DTC either press the DSC button to the left of the shifter, or if equipped change to Sport+ mode. To shut off DSC entirely, press and hold the DSC button for about 5 seconds until the display in the instrument cluster pops up telling you it's off. This is all in the manual.

Either way, save this for the track. BMW drivers already have a douchebag image to fight and driving on public roads in a way that has DTC or DSC intervening doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Does everyone have this?

The chart for DSC is on page 77. I think it answers a lot off questions but again the translation might be confusing
Appreciate 0