New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

how proven is MHD flash tuning for n54?

since i cannot get jb4 shipped to CA, might go this route instead.. anyone have experience to share?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

very proven. all the top HP N54 guys have switched to MHD.
development on the cobb stopped, so all the big N54 tuners have moved to MHD.
      01-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thank you, i will pursue this
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven View Post
since i cannot get jb4 shipped to CA, might go this route instead.. anyone have experience to share?
Very proven
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i flashed mhd stage 1 a few weeks ago and i really like it, definitely noticeable on butt dyno.. already looking to add fmic+cp to flash stage 1+
      03-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
bjlindsey
Registered
Rep
Drives: E66

What kind of 0-60 times?

What kind of 0-60 times can I expect from a stock E89 w/ MHD stage 1?

What would I expect to have to do to get a 0-60 of under 4 seconds.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #7
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlindsey
What kind of 0-60 times can I expect from a stock E89 w/ MHD stage 1?

What would I expect to have to do to get a 0-60 of under 4 seconds.

Thanks!!!
I wouldn't expect less than 4.6s
      03-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I'm interested in this too.
Sorry to thread jack a little, just rather ask questions on here as opposed to creating a new thread.

Which is better in terms of user interface, gains, reliability and support; MHD Flash or JB4? Would be on a 35i with ER Charepipe. I'm keen to go to a stage 1 map once I've got the chargepipe, with interest to go up to stage 2 in the future.

Thanks,
Tom
      03-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDJG View Post
I'm interested in this too.
Sorry to thread jack a little, just rather ask questions on here as opposed to creating a new thread.

Which is better in terms of user interface, gains, reliability and support; MHD Flash or JB4? Would be on a 35i with ER Charepipe. I'm keen to go to a stage 1 map once I've got the chargepipe, with interest to go up to stage 2 in the future.

Thanks,
Tom
I personally like only running the MHD, although you can run both. You can do a JB4 which will control boost and allow you to maintain all the JB4 features, then use an MHD back end flash that BMS provides for free to control everything else.

I chose to do only MHD because its one less thing to manage/maintain.
      03-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuner View Post
I personally like only running the MHD, although you can run both. You can do a JB4 which will control boost and allow you to maintain all the JB4 features, then use an MHD back end flash that BMS provides for free to control everything else.

I chose to do only MHD because its one less thing to manage/maintain.
Thanks for the reply.

I've been keen on the JB4 as I like the idea of switching maps quickly, mainly for if the car needs to go in for some work I can revert to stock map. I also like that the handset displays boost figures, AF ratio etc it also gets great feedback and I pay once for it then maps are free??

The MHD just seems even easier to install the map and is cheaper (initially). clearly with as big a following as the JB4, though I don't like the idea that it flashes the ECU and I'd need to install the stock map which takes a bit of time (40 odd minutes).

Anymore advice or information would be massively appreciated. Looking to invest later this year
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep

The MHD will display boost/timing ect too, you do have to buy the monitoring module though which i think is around 60$.
      03-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah okay, that sounds good then!

Thanks for the info and sorry to thread jack
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I've been keen on the JB4 as I like the idea of switching maps quickly, mainly for if the car needs to go in for some work I can revert to stock map. I also like that the handset displays boost figures, AF ratio etc it also gets great feedback and I pay once for it then maps are free??

The MHD just seems even easier to install the map and is cheaper (initially). clearly with as big a following as the JB4, though I don't like the idea that it flashes the ECU and I'd need to install the stock map which takes a bit of time (40 odd minutes).

Anymore advice or information would be massively appreciated. Looking to invest later this year
Quote:
Ah okay, that sounds good then!

Thanks for the info and sorry to thread jack

older post but, MHD is the way to go for N54 tuning. MAP switching on MHD takes some 60 seconds. MHD is more reliable, and way more consistent. i always say this...

JB4 needs a Flash to work 100% but a Flash doesnt need a JB4 to work 100%. And with all the upcoming features about to drop for MHD only. yea, just do it, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Reviving this so all info is in the same place.

If I get the cable and the app, do I get any noticeable improvement even without installing a FMIC or any hardware modifications to the car? What's the software-only gains?

Thanks
      08-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #15
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleen View Post

If I get the cable and the app, do I get any noticeable improvement even without installing a FMIC or any hardware modifications to the car? What's the software-only gains?

Thanks

Absolutely. The Stage one tune is night and day and fun for a stock car. the stage 1+FMIC can also be run on a stock car but, you will see an increase in IATS on long multi-gear pulls. And if stock dont Autocross or drag race repeatly, like back to back to back. As mentioned IATS shoot up.

But, as long as your plugs, coils, and etc are up to par. you can flash a stock car no problem. If you download the App. there is an embedded user guide by Twisted Tuning. has some information on the Stage Map gains.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #16
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
Absolutely. The Stage one tune is night and day and fun for a stock car. the stage 1+FMIC can also be run on a stock car but, you will see an increase in IATS on long multi-gear pulls. And if stock dont Autocross or drag race repeatly, like back to back to back. As mentioned IATS shoot up.

But, as long as your plugs, coils, and etc are up to par. you can flash a stock car no problem. If you download the App. there is an embedded user guide by Twisted Tuning. has some information on the Stage Map gains.
Thanks! I might do this then... unsure I want any hardware mods, but if I can get say, 35is power from my 35i with just software it'd be awesome.

With a FMIC (which is IIRC a ~$1k mod?) I imagine further gains, but pain to take it to a shop, concerned about the warranty too (mine is a CPO), and then unmodding and selling the mod when selling the car a few years from now...
Also, you're saying that with a FMIC the temperature sensor gives fault? Super new with this, trying to understand
      08-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I might do this then... unsure I want any hardware mods, but if I can get say, 35is power from my 35i with just software it'd be awesome.

With a FMIC (which is IIRC a ~$1k mod?) I imagine further gains, but pain to take it to a shop, concerned about the warranty too (mine is a CPO), and then unmodding and selling the mod when selling the car a few years from now...
Also, you're saying that with a FMIC the temperature sensor gives fault? Super new with this, trying to understand
No no no, no faults. Turbos create heat as they compress the air to push into the engine. The higher the boost pressure the higher the air temp is. The stock intercooler is not very efficient at keeping intake air temps down with raised boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
yup, i did the stage 1 on a stock 35i and it was quite a noticeable difference, surpassed my expectations

since then i have added fmic + cp + intake etc and running stage 1+, felt a great difference in power/response after the ER fmic brought my IAT down significantly

no errors no issues along the way, and easy enough a newbie like me can do it, go for it!
      09-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Lots of guys in the e90 post Aussie section are running MHD flash tune on their 135 and 335i and are raving on about how good it is compared to PB tunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #20
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Wow. I'm barely handling the stock 35i power at the moment
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep

Just did this. Completely stock car, and I'm in Cali, so had to go for the lowest tune. After a 10' drive around the block, the car feels more immediate. Unsure if there's any additional power (maybe 10% tops?), but the delivery is way better. I flashed with the burble on medium, maybe I should go for high. Even at medium is better than the stock level... for what I can remember, similar to a 35is?

What options did you guys use with the flash? I just limited 1st and 2nd gear, and put burble on medium. Curious about the options.

Flash took around 40 minutes, forgot to turn off the fan (but the AC was off). Used a trickle charger. Also did not turn ignition on the first time (just inserted key), and the car did NOT like that. But solved it very easily by re-attempting the flash with ignition on (but engine off).

Recommended? Possibly. The price is attractive enough and it's a very simple thing to do...
      10-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
35i-Nut
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 35I

nice feedback , thanks for posting

Are you running DCT or manual ?
Appreciate 0