New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

I have also just replaced the indicators, with a very good effect (brighter than original, no more yolk, no errors).

Thank you, Maniac, for your information - I indeed had to "pull harder" as well

Unfortunately the new LED indicators strobe/flicker several times whenever the engine is started and again later every minute or so when driving (similar to this video: http://bit.ly/19Q9waC). This is obvisously due to a "cold bulb check" when short voltage bursts are sent to the bulb to see if the bulb draws current or if it is broken (real bulbs are too slow to show the flickering but the new LEDs are fast enough).

Do you have the same effect? Or did you simply code out the "cold bulb check"?

Best regards

Mick

Last edited by Mick70; 09-30-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Mm not sure about that, I'll have to check...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAFIEND View Post
Purchased mine from IJDM. No errors or problems.

I actually ordered mine today from the same place before finding this thread.

Here's the link to anyone else interested: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Can-bus-BMW...s.htm?CartID=1

I'm usually a pretty big ebay-er / googler, where I try to find the same LEDs for cheaper, but the best I could do on these bulbs elsewhere was $30.

For those serious about these bulbs, make sure they are:
(1) the right size (PY24W)
(2) CANBUS (error free)
(3) have built in load resisters to avoid hyper-flashing

Many many bulbs on eBay/Google will have one or two of the above criteria; very few meet all three. Hence, why I actually bought LEDs off of a legitimate site instead of eBay for the first time in my life.

I'm looking forward to an easy install! (hopefully no broken tabs!)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I just installed a pair I got off of eBay. No errors or flickering, as advertised. I was drawn to them because they're Cree.
Tip for installation: when you are ready to insert the bulb back into the socket, make sure you push it hard into the socket before you twist it closed. It has to be seated completely or it won't engage.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #27
BMAFIEND
Rep
Drives: 2011 E89

Those are the same bulbs I got. Once again no errors or flicker problems either.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #28
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol look what I started
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I rarely drive at night but last night collecting the car from a car park I noticed my indicators flickering at start up in a reflection so it looks like either there are some prone to this or some people aren't noticing like I didn't until recently. Might end up switching back as I don't like the idea of them flickering while driving (if they do) Flickering at start up I don't care about tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I rarely drive at night but last night collecting the car from a car park I noticed my indicators flickering at start up in a reflection so it looks like either there are some prone to this or some people aren't noticing like I didn't until recently. Might end up switching back as I don't like the idea of them flickering while driving (if they do) Flickering at start up I don't care about tho.
All you need to do to check is unlock the car while you're standing in front of it. The halos will light up and if they flicker, it'll be easy to see. If yours do, you got some bad bulbs. Try another brand.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #31
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

My indicators won't flicker on unlocking but only on starting the engine (and supposedly when driving - but I can't confirm that).

I know that the "cold check" may be coded out, but this is currently not an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #32
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
All you need to do to check is unlock the car while you're standing in front of it. The halos will light up and if they flicker, it'll be easy to see. If yours do, you got some bad bulbs. Try another brand.
I'm not talking about halos (thats another thread). I'm talking about the front orange indicators that I've changed from bulbs to LED. The LED flickers when the engine is started, and I'm told every minute or so thereafter. This is because the car puts voltage through them to check if they're working. Fine on normal bulbs that don't illuminate fast enough, bad for LED's which illuminate almost instantly. I've emailed the seller I got them from and I'll wait to see what they say. I don't mind the cold check at start up, but I can't have indicators flashing every minute by themselves, someone may think i'm actually indicating to turn.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #33
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
Unfortunately the new LED indicators strobe/flicker several times whenever the engine is started and again later every minute or so when driving
Quote:
my indicators flickering at start up in a reflection... Flickering at start up I don't care about tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
My indicators won't flicker on unlocking but only on starting the engine
Quote:
The LED flickers when the engine is started
I'm experiencing the same thing that these guys are. Maniac, lemme know what your seller tells you. I have an OBD2 to ethernet cable being shipped to me now, so hopefully a coding solvent is all that's needed.

I too don't necessarily mind the flickering on start up, but I would prefer them not to flicker as I'm driving around. Although I've only seen them flicker upon start up, is there a way to check if they do it whilst driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #34
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Any update on this flickering?

Any flickering for you jparnes?

I accidentally broke my stock P24W bulb trying to take them out... now the fronts don't work (broken, obviously) but the rest (rear and side) hyperflashes. Deciding whether or not I should get LEDs or just go back to OEM halogens...

Last edited by CedarZ4; 10-12-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #35
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Although cold check is supposed to take place every xy minutes when driving, I have never experienced such flickering when driving (also tried this in a long traffic jam behind a white van perfectly reflecting the amber indicators).

Of course I cannot tell for sure but under these conditions I could live with the flickering when starting the engine.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #36
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

No flickering with my bulbs.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Jumped on board - Ordered the same one as jparnes... except seller raised the price!

Once I get them sometime this week and get a chance to try them out for some time, will report back to see if I am experiencing any flickering. Hope I get them soon, feels really weird (and probably dangerous) to not be signaling while turning and changing lanes right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #38
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So I'm updating my maps right now and turned off the drl's as I wanted to keep the ignition on without the drl's using battery. Normally drl's are always on.

Anyhow this is the video, drl's and indicators are cold checked roughly every 2.5 minutes. I was sat waiting for the map data and kept thinking what's that flashing...

They're too short to see in the daytime but at night you can see the cold check. I guess with lights on you might not notice but they're making me think twice about putting the normal bulbs back in.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #39
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I'm updating my maps right now and turned off the drl's as I wanted to keep the ignition on without the drl's using battery. Normally drl's are always on.

Anyhow this is the video, drl's and indicators are cold checked roughly every 2.5 minutes. I was sat waiting for the map data and kept thinking what's that flashing...

They're too short to see in the daytime but at night you can see the cold check. I guess with lights on you might not notice but they're making me think twice about putting the normal bulbs back in.

Confirmed.
Sat in front of the car for about 20 minutes trying different things.
Like mentioned by Maniac, there is a cold-check every 2minutes 35seconds +/- 5 seconds. This results in a quick flicker of the LEDs if they are off (in terms of the AE - since the blinkers are off all the time unless when flashing, they will flicker about every 2.5 minutes indefinitely).

With the AE turned on, the AE will not flicker during the cold-check, presumably because the car knows voltage is going there so that it is working, therefore a cold-check isn't even sent to the AE. Same applies with headlights on (because AE are also on automatically).

Just the systems that are off (e.g. blinkers) will get the cold-check and flicker. This is very unfortunate, as my LED blinkers are coming in tomorrow...

Like you, Maniac, just because of this I may have to go back to halogens. The only reason I wanted LED was to get rid of the yolk effect though - off topic but does anyone know where to get the P24W bulb (halogen) except without the orange coating?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #40
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Did some searching - Apparently the cold-check for the blinkers can be coded off. However, this was done on the immensely more popular e9x, and I am not familiar with coding but I can't imagine it being that different in our cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #41
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4
Quote:

Confirmed.
Sat in front of the car for about 20 minutes trying different things.
Like mentioned by Maniac, there is a cold-check every 2minutes 35seconds +/- 5 seconds. This results in a quick flicker of the LEDs if they are off (in terms of the AE - since the blinkers are off all the time unless when flashing, they will flicker about every 2.5 minutes indefinitely).

With the AE turned on, the AE will not flicker during the cold-check, presumably because the car knows voltage is going there so that it is working, therefore a cold-check isn't even sent to the AE. Same applies with headlights on (because AE are also on automatically).

Just the systems that are off (e.g. blinkers) will get the cold-check and flicker. This is very unfortunate, as my LED blinkers are coming in tomorrow...

Like you, Maniac, just because of this I may have to go back to halogens. The only reason I wanted LED was to get rid of the yolk effect though - off topic but does anyone know where to get the P24W bulb (halogen) except without the orange coating?
I've looked a few times at stealth bulbs that are coated to eliminate the yolk effect. I've not pulled the trigger on them though. You might look into those.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #42
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Did some searching - Apparently the cold-check for the blinkers can be coded off. However, this was done on the immensely more popular e9x, and I am not familiar with coding but I can't imagine it being that different in our cars?
As already mentioned, cold check can be coded out:

KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_R
KALTUEBERW_BLK_V_L

Unfortunately, my D-/K-CAN cable seems to stay in customs forever.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #43
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
I've looked a few times at stealth bulbs that are coated to eliminate the yolk effect. I've not pulled the trigger on them though. You might look into those.
I too have looked into stealth bulbs - Couldn't find them available in our P24W bulb type. Do you have a link? After I try out my LEDs today and if they flicker, I will most likely go that route
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #44
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

An alternative to the stealth bulbs is to just remove the stockies and then put a thin coat of silver paint over the bulbs. Just tape it off securely around the bottom of the bulb, and make sure it's high-temp paint. I've done this one a few of my previous cars and it's worked quite well, although light output is just slightly reduced.

It sounds ghetto, but it works! A third alternative is to just get white/clear P24W incandescent bulbs.
Appreciate 0