New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Finally got to taking some decent pictures, not all amazing, but enough to share. Thought I'd post with my impressions to date.

Looks
Amazing, we all know that. Mineral Gray Metallic is an incredible color, and the Coral Red interior makes for a gorgeous combination. Extended Leather was a must for me, as I had it in my '08 and feel it significantly ups the luxury quotient. 10+ in the looks department.

Build Quality
To me, excellent. I learned my lesson having an '05 then an '08 E85: wait for the LCI. BMW makes a ton of little improvements where needed, most of which aren't visible. I've heard no squeaks, rattles, air leaks, or anything like that. Car seems put together terrifically.

Drivability
I'm no track rat, and I'll probably never push the car to 10/10ths as you would on a track. For how I use it, I couldn't be happier. The DCT is a DREAM, coming from over 15 years of manual ownership, I can't believe how frickin fun it is. I got into a nice jaunt yesterday w/ a late 90s Carrera Turbo, pushed hard for about 10 miles on some wonderfully curvy roads with decent elevation change. Car held it's own (and then some), and at the end my wife and I had to catch our breath and try to stop smiling. Best car I've owned yet.

Sound
One word: intoxicating. I could listen to that overrun ALL. DAY. LONG.

Mods
The IS comes with many standard features, comfort access, DCT, adaptive suspension, etc. I ordered the Tech & Cold Weather packages, and 19" wheels. There really isn't much more I need. Debadged, added the BMW stubby and I have BMW logo valve stem caps on it. I'm getting my windows tinted July 8, after that it's drive and enjoy!

Run-Flats
As I've stated in previous posts, BMW continues to improve the feel of it's cars on RFTs. Yet again, this car feels more comfortable and less harsh than my '08 w/ 18" RFTs, which itself was a world apart from the '05 (ditched the RFTs on that for how bad it was). Impressive, considering I now have the 19" 326s. I will not be ditching the RFTs. I have to admit, I'm typically puzzled by the harsh ride complaints on the RFTs, while it certainly once was that way, it's not now. That said, I'm coming from 10 years of sports car ownership - I don't expect the thing to feel like a 5 series. My wife's 128 feels like a Lincoln Continental compared to my car, and I'm a-ok with it.

Bonus
Since there seems to be some geekdom around such things here (fully admitting my own), I've also included a pic of my Omega Speedy Broad Arrow .

If there are any other questions regarding the '14 model year, ask away. Enjoy the pics!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Very nice, love the color combo. Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

No need to brag, bro. God...JK!

Congrats! It looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

I'm glad to hear someone else's assessment of the newer runflats as you've described them. I've always switched out for the non-rfts pretty quick after buying the cars, but the new ones feel quite different. So much so, that I'll put the decision off until it comes time to get new tires for tread wear reasons.

Your car is absolutely beautiful. It was hard to tell exactly how much darker that grey is than the older one until seeing your pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

I have a question regarding the '14 model year...any changes from '13 to '14?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill
I have a question regarding the '14 model year...any changes from '13 to '14?
'14 is the first year of the LCI, so changes apply to all previous E89s.

Gigglebox, thanks for the comments . Also, love your POTM submission.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Nice pics. Love the shine on the flanks. What are the model of rft? Bridgestone Re050a?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Do a golf tee mod asap for the real sound of how an IS should have come out of the box. Also swap out those runflats ASAP for a set of pilot super sports. Lastly get a stubby replacement. Those are the only 3 mods (so far) on my car and its night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Someone didn't read the post/look at the pictures

OP already has a stubby, and doesn't find the RFTs to be that harsh. In fact, if I'm reading it correctly (although, at 6AM and lack of sleep...) he likes the RFTs because it gives the car more of a "sports feel."

In regards to the GolfT, I think it's a good mod for a lease, but as a long-term vehicle... would be concerned about potential problems. I too have thought about doing the GolfT on my car, but as a long-term keeper/daily driver, I decided against it to not risk the possibility of a problem, especially since I've read some user say the difference is barely even noticeable. Have read multiple times about GolfT being irreversible even after you reverse it (flap won't close again). Carbon build-up? Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Awesome ride and good luck. If BMW is still equipping with Potenza RE050a's, then all I can say is too each his own. To me it felt like the car had no shock absorbers on a pot hole. Maybe the LCI's are coming with 3d gen RFT's. I'd be interested in knowing.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Its a lovely looking car. Without this going into a RFT thread, my issue is that they're comfy on nice roads, but on imperfections they can be jarring, making everything in door pockets etc rattle. Fast shocks the car simply cannot deal with well, and the RFTs don't help. I changed to Pirellis in the hope it would improve, it didn't. I could live with a jarring ride, if it didn't smash 3 of my 4 296's. Now I have 313's I pray to god the RFTs don't kill these wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Someone didn't read the post/look at the pictures

OP already has a stubby, and doesn't find the RFTs to be that harsh. In fact, if I'm reading it correctly (although, at 6AM and lack of sleep...) he likes the RFTs because it gives the car more of a "sports feel."

In regards to the GolfT, I think it's a good mod for a lease, but as a long-term vehicle... would be concerned about potential problems. I too have thought about doing the GolfT on my car, but as a long-term keeper/daily driver, I decided against it to not risk the possibility of a problem, especially since I've read some user say the difference is barely even noticeable. Have read multiple times about GolfT being irreversible even after you reverse it (flap won't close again). Carbon build-up? Who knows.
Yeah missed that stubby...run flats are garbage we all know it. Just informing him the night and day difference after removing them..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Yeah missed that stubby...run flats are garbage we all know it. Just informing him the night and day difference after removing them..
Believe they are the RE050A's, but need to check tonight to be certain. I'm aware of the difference in feel between a RFT and non-RFT tire, not my first rodeo . As I mentioned, I'm happy with how the car feels/is set up, and so I'm sticking with them. Def don't want this to be a RFT/non-RFT debate - I think a lot of it is personal preference. "Garbage" is a bit strong to my taste though, I have a good friend with another Z4 whose RFTs helped minimize what could have been a VERY bad accident. 18 wheeler ran him off an onramp, scraped his rear, ripped the rear quarter panel off, punctured the rear tire, but tire stayed on the rim/continued to provide control. He was able to pull over and stop safely.

What I'll also again mention is that having a pre and post facelift E85s, both delivered new with RFTs, my experience is BMW learns from the years in market and makes adjustments. My '05 was unbearable on 18" RFTs, had to swap. My '08 on 18" RFTs was perfectly fine, no need to swap. This car on 19" RFTs feels better than my '08.

Also, no golf tee mod for me. Car sounds great to my ears

Thanks for all the nice compliments folks, appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
TitanTim
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Congrats on a lovely looking Zed

Agree with you on the RFs I've never had any issues with them, sure fit softer tyres if you need a sissy ride

Tim.
      07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

You're in Illinois. I would definitely call (or head over) to iND (http://www.ind-distribution.com) and get a set of color-matched replacements for the orange banana reflectors. Orange banana reflectors are all I can see when I look at a car that still has them.

You might also grab a set of gloss black replacements for the kidneys, though the OEM silver/chrome ones don't look so out of place on this color car like they do on the Alpine White.

Anyway, you have an amazing car on your hands! Enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
You might also grab a set of gloss black replacements for the kidneys, though the OEM silver/chrome ones don't look so out of place on this color car like they do on the Alpine White.
I actually bought the OEM black grills before taking delivery, but decided against them with this color combination. Agree they look KILLER on white, black and love how they look on the Sarge's yellow.

Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

awesome awesome car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Swervd
Private
Rep
Drives: E89

man i love that color and color combo
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
I actually bought the OEM black grills before taking delivery, but decided against them with this color combination. Agree they look KILLER on white, black and love how they look on the Sarge's yellow.

Thanks very much!
No, thank you for sharing the photos of your great ride!

The OEM ones look great on your car. But we agree: they're a "must do" on Alpine White!

But I highly recommend iND's color-match reflectors for ALL Zed owners! I even replaced the red ones on my rear bumper!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
But I highly recommend iND's color-match reflectors for ALL Zed owners! I even replaced the red ones on my rear bumper!
Technically, it's a violation to remove these as they are a safety feature. You won't get pulled over for it, but a cop could add it on along with your speeding violation (that;s why we all get pulled over, isn't it? )

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post

Thanks very much!
I think that's a good decision. The silver grills go with the wheels and silver mirror caps very nicely.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I think that's a good decision. The silver grills go with the wheels and silver mirror caps very nicely.
My thoughts EXACTLY! The color/finish of the grill slats is actually an exact match to the mirror covers. Along with the chrome side indicator swoosh, it really all works very nicely.
Appreciate 0