New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I kind of agree with KevinC on most points, although I still like the new Z4.

There wasn't anything wrong with a manual handbrake or dipstick, that didn't really need to be changed and I doubt having these as manual items would disuade many buyers, whereas the electronic dipstick is definitely polarising opinion.

The auto-shifter is just a change in design so that doesn't really bother me.

iDrive is expensive, but I like the integration of it on the Z4 better than on all the other cars - the popup screen is a neat feature that allows you to have the single hump look when you don't need the screen.

Starter buttons only really make sense with Comfort Access otherwise it does make a one step process into a two step one for no real benefit.

Having said that, if I buy a Z4 I'm not looking for a stripped out track car, just something with good balance, power and looks and a level of equipment that compares well with the competition.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

If BMW really wanted to show off their fancy schmansy features, then they should have installed a massaging seatback. Now THAT would improve the driving experience.

The Z4 has definitely grown up in this next iteration, and as a result has lost its true down-to-earth roadster experience. It's going to be an excellent, profitable product, but just another overweight, over-teched convertible.

And on the subject of comfort access... It's not really convenient if you still have to stick the fob in the car before hitting the start button. True convenience is being able to leave the fob in your pocket/purse (like in the Infiniti system).
      01-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #25
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
And on the subject of comfort access... It's not really convenient if you still have to stick the fob in the car before hitting the start button. True convenience is being able to leave the fob in your pocket/purse (like in the Infiniti system).
Isn't that the plan? "Comfort Access system offers an even greater degree of convenience: keyless access to your car. Simply carrying the remote key in a pocket allows you to unlock the doors by touching the door handle. You can also turn the engine on or off by pressing the Start/Stop button without first inserting the remote key. When the top is down, the optional Comfort Loading feature offers quicker trunk-loading convenience: with the push of a button on the key fob, the roofstack is lifted out of the trunk, so the storage area can be accessed."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #26
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Oops... I stand corrected.
      01-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #27
dahanist
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I do like the old style e-brakes (hand brakes, some people call it).
However, I have seen many people using it not correctly, especially ladies and older people; they pull it too little.
If you have tried pulling it not hard enough on a hill and take your foot off the brakes (transmission in neutral) the car will start to roll.
With the new style e-brakes, this issue will go away.
Again, I do like the old styles but I can understand why newer cars are going this route.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #28
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I think it's also easier to 'style' an electronic e-brake as it just needs to be a switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #29
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
I think it's also easier to 'style' an electronic e-brake as it just needs to be a switch.