New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

Dinan performance tuning

Has anyone used Dinan performance tuning services? They seem to have a very good reputation and offer a wide choice of tuning options. They also offer a performance flywheel replacement that reduces the weight and increase the performance for those that have manual tranny's

http://dinancars.com/bmw/zseries-2/?series=Z-Series
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I investigated it and my takeaway was that it makes less power than Cobb while charging more money.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you plan to keep the car go with Dinan. If you are leasing then go with Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
If you plan to keep the car go with Dinan. If you are leasing then go with Cobb.
Thats pretty bad advise right there. Many owners have purchased their cars and running Cobb with zero problems including myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

Give input on why leasing or buying would have a difference. Cobb seems to be a plug n play solution you can do yourself. Dinan has to be taken to the service center.

I would assume Cobb would be the top choice for those on this forum that feel confident they can add options to their vehicles and understand how they were enabled
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I don't think stickshifter69 is saying there is anything wrong with the Cobb per say, rather that on an owned vehicle you want to more catious, and Dinan comes with a full drivetrain warranty while Cobb does not (I think it's for the remainder of your BMW warranty, or 2 years if you are not under warranty). The warranty is a major part of the premium on Dinan, but for best bang/gain for your buck, Cobb is the way to go (but if issues come up… you're covering your own)

Last edited by CedarZ4; 02-08-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I don't think stickshifter69 is saying there is anything wrong with the Cobb per say, rather that on an owned vehicle you want to more catious, and Dinan comes with a full drivetrain warranty while Cobb does not (I think it's for the remainder of your BMW warranty, or 2 years if you are not under warranty). The warranty is a major part of the premium on Dinan, but for best bang/gain for your buck, Cobb is the way to go (but if issues come up… you're covering your own)
Well stated! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm not sure why Dinan would be better for longevity, other than the lower power.

It isn't like Cobb Stage 1 takes the car to epic power levels.. More like 35i becomes slightly more powerful than 35is and 35is gets to use the overboost all the time and gets a very slight power bump. Especially since apparently the N54 is mechanically the same for both models anyway

Also, it is worthwhile to read on other forums about the experiences others have had trying to make claims through Dinan warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I think any time you install power enhancers, you're going to promote increased wear and/or breakage of parts. It only stands to reason because stock parts are working harder and subject to more stress. At least Dinan gives you a warranty to fall back on, if necessary.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
jimi900
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Enjoying Dad's e89 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I think any time you install power enhancers, you're going to promote increased wear and/or breakage of parts. It only stands to reason because stock parts are working harder and subject to more stress. At least Dinan gives you a warranty to fall back on, if necessary.
You might want to check into the warrtany part. when I looked into getting the Dinan stage II for my father I asked about warranty and they said they did NOT warranty and tunning done to a turbo. This was a while ago some maybe this has changed but I would look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi900 View Post
You might want to check into the warrtany part. when I looked into getting the Dinan stage II for my father I asked about warranty and they said they did NOT warranty and tunning done to a turbo. This was a while ago some maybe this has changed but I would look into it.
Dinan warranties all their work, as previously stated. The page for the Stage 2 software for our cars clearly outlines that it comes with a factory matching warranty (4 years, 50k miles). This is, as also previously stated, part of the reason for Dinan's premium pricing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
jimi900
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Enjoying Dad's e89 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Dinan warranties all their work, as previously stated. The page for the Stage 2 software for our cars clearly outlines that it comes with a factory matching warranty (4 years, 50k miles). This is, as also previously stated, part of the reason for Dinan's premium pricing.
I would go and ask the dealer that does the warranty work on your car if they feel the same way? because my local Dinan Shop, which is my local BMW Dealer (BMW Owned)is the shop that told me they will not warrant any turbo tune. I’m just saying I would ask before I flash... That is if you are only buying the Dinan for the warranty. I would buy a Cobb product anyway. I used a of their products on my Subaru and they were top notch.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Gpwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 z4sdrive35i

in reply to Nicknaz, Dinan backs off the boost at the top end to help prevent premature wear as I understand it. This accounts for the more conservative power gains. As for warranty issues, I believe that any tuning is not covered by BMW, however Dinan gives their own warranty to replace coverage. I would look into this before you tune as this is just what I have read. Also something to consider, if BMW puts a Dinan tune into your car, they keep a record of it. you can return your car back to stock with a tuner like Cobb or ESS and nobody is the wiser. If you upgrade your car after a Dinan tune, you have to pay BMW to adjust your map. With a DIY tuner, you can download a new map and install it yourself. Just some thoughts
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpwheels View Post
in reply to Nicknaz, Dinan backs off the boost at the top end to help prevent premature wear as I understand it. This accounts for the more conservative power gains.
Agreed. They definitely tune for less power (and charge more for it)
Appreciate 0