New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
1slowbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

SUNY Maritime college, just a rant

So im in my second year at SUNY maritime in the bronx NY, its a regimented school but NOT a military school, its also not free, we pay to go. Theres been a policy at school called "restriction" where you cant leave campus at all for 30 days if you do some "serious" offense such as drinking on campus or drugs ect, you must go take "muster" during weekdays at 4pm, 7pm, and 11pm. On weekends it is 7am, 9am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 11pm and 1am to make sure you havent left. Well i got 2 months of this restriction for simply not signing the school contract in the beginning of the semester, i work on the weekends and the "commandant" who assignd the punishment at school basically told me tough shit and now i lost my job, is this even legal?

You can also be kicked out of school for going to the media about anything the school does
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

I did one semester there and got out. I visited my buddy one weekend at a real school and had more fun in one weekend then I did that whole semester at maritime.

My advice, transfer to another SUNY school. Thats what I did, transfered some credits and I had a blast for the next 4.5 years. You're only 18-21 once, unless you really want to work on a ship when you graduate, get out and enjoy life.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Watch the movie Taps for inspiration of what to do. No one may be trying to shut down your school, but it could still work.
      03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

WTF! Wow. U better smack someone in the face at-least.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
1slowbmw
Private First Class
Rep

im trying to raise some awareness to this lol, enough bad PR and something will be done. It didnt used to be like this, but they got new people in charge and it went to hell, the whole student body is miserable and lots of staff have been leaving
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Probably worth transferring out of SUNY unless you want to work offshore or commercial side of shipping.

No SUNY grads on my rig, most of us are MMA grads. Work sucks, time off is good and being able to set yourself up financially is great.

What did you have for a weekend job?
      03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
1slowbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Probably worth transferring out of SUNY unless you want to work offshore or commercial side of shipping.

No SUNY grads on my rig, most of us are MMA grads. Work sucks, time off is good and being able to set yourself up financially is great.

What did you have for a weekend job?
im looking to ship out for a few years and then work on land and get into land developing on the side. I worked for a security company install alarms and camera systems. btw we had MMA kids on our ship this summer to learn about steam plants
Appreciate 0