New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

35is

dealership called me today stating they have the 35is in white and asked if I was interested in a trade for my 35i. I called my sales guy awhile back asking what it would cost to trade in my 35i for one with dct, comfort access, smart phone integration, but I didn't think it was worth it...but for 35is, now I may be considering.

What do you think a fair trade in will be? I'm thinking they'll ask for 25k and though that may sound right, I don't think I'm a glutton for self punishment as I really do enjoy the 6MT, and started to live w/o comfort access.

How many 35is will be avail I wonder and if its exclusive in numbers...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Hey Chuck,

Get on the wagon!
I passed on my ordered 35i to upgrade to a new 35is!

I think the exclusivity and resale value will come from being the best (stock) Z4.

Now if they break their word and bring out an M version, we'll be stuffed.
And I will be one very angry Stig.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck76 View Post
dealership called me today stating they have the 35is in white and asked if I was interested in a trade for my 35i. I called my sales guy awhile back asking what it would cost to trade in my 35i for one with dct, comfort access, smart phone integration, but I didn't think it was worth it...but for 35is, now I may be considering.

What do you think a fair trade in will be? I'm thinking they'll ask for 25k and though that may sound right, I don't think I'm a glutton for self punishment as I really do enjoy the 6MT, and started to live w/o comfort access.

How many 35is will be avail I wonder and if its exclusive in numbers...
What do you think yours is worth and did they give a quote on the 35is?

I'm sure you're aware the 35is is a dct and not a MT, right?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Yep, I'm aware that the 35is is dct and don't mind. I'll be taking in my 35i tomorrow with 4k miles for a price check.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good luck on the trade.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck76 View Post
Yep, I'm aware that the 35is is dct and don't mind. I'll be taking in my 35i tomorrow with 4k miles for a price check.

DCT is awsome
      06-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Hey Chuck,

Get on the wagon!
I passed on my ordered 35i to upgrade to a new 35is!

I think the exclusivity and resale value will come from being the best (stock) Z4.

Now if they break their word and bring out an M version, we'll be stuffed.
And I will be one very angry Stig.
I disagree. All Z4's are pretty much exclusive. I think the re-sale value is all relative. Real M versions of the E85 are not worth much more than their counterparts based on the initial prices paid. Other than the front and rear bumpers and a few other differerent appointments, there is not much difference. It has the same engine as the 35i with not much difference in HP.

Dealers are not stocking Z4's on their lots like they had in the past with the E85's so I do not see an abundance of any Z4's.

Personally, if I were ordering my car now, I still would opt for the 35i due to the fact that I think they absolutely ruined the classic lines of the car with the rear bumper.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Dealers are not stocking Z4's on their lots like they had in the past with the E85's so I do not see an abundance of any Z4's.
That's true. And the way they order them seems to indicate they are very price sensitive, which is logical given the recession. But until the 35is, I've yet to see a fully loaded 35i or 30i. I looked at a 35is that had almost everything except premium sound - go figure.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

my wife's 35i is loaded but for alarm and comfort access - it was at the dealer that way, which in my opinion is strange; the car literally has every option/package, including automatic high beams, but for those two items that total $900. so if you are loading out a car with ivory leather, sport/premium/cold weather/sound/navigation/satellite/etc., why not add those two relatively cheap but great options??? no matter, we love the car
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good advice - thanks Vintage.

Not really holding out but the timing on another issue. Once that's resolved (which I thought would happen about a year ago), will take the plunge in a heartbeat. Then I'll likely order for ED.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Your decision should not be based on one person's opinion that the 35is will have a higher resale value or carry exclusivity over the 35i. That sounds like nothing more than wishful thinking.

You should do your own Trade-in appraisal on KBB.

Whatever the first trade-in value the dealer gives you, your response should be: "Boy oh boy, if THATS the kind of trade-in value I can expect on a Z4, then I better stay PUT for a while in the one I already have, but thank you for your time"
Then get up and attempt to walk out.

Continue to drive that same point home until they give you the KBB Trade-in value.

...and to piggy back on the first point, don't let them BS you into thinking the 35is will carry a better trade-in value in the future. I don't think they would try that, but you can't put anything past them. That would be one more line of BS just to get you to pull the trigger on the deal. Remember - the dealer will say ANYTHING they need to, to make you buy. ANYTHING!!!

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-21-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Then I'll likely order for ED.
ED was incredible and I still think of it often even though it was last August. It also makes the buying experience nice with the 7% off base price.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Dealers try to play hard ball, so should we. Example; when I got my previous 2008 Z4 3.0is (August 2009 after returning from Germany) it had no alarm or comfort access either. So I agreed to a cash sale once we negotiated deal (a fantastic year end sale btw) only if they add alarm and the comfort access. The sales man said let me check and run it by the manager. He did and came back alarm yes .... comfort access sorry no. I said oh well and started walking away the sales man said wait ... wait then said okay we do it.

The moral of the story is we need to be able to walk away.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Your decision should not be based on one person's opinion that the 35is will have a higher resale value or carry exclusivity over the 35i. That sounds like nothing more than wishful thinking.

You should do your own Trade-in appraisal on KBB.

Whatever the first trade-in value the dealer gives you, your response should be: "Boy oh boy, if THATS the kind of trade-in value I can expect on a Z4, then I better stay PUT for a while in the one I already have, but thank you for your time"
Then get up and attempt to walk out.

Continue to drive that same point home until they give you the KBB Trade-in value.

...and to piggy back on the first point, don't let them BS you into thinking the 35is will carry a better trade-in value in the future. I don't think they would try that, but you can't put anything past them. That would be one more line of BS just to get you to pull the trigger on the deal. Remember - the dealer will say ANYTHING they need to, to make you buy. ANYTHING!!!
I don't know if the salesman will state the 35is will carry a better trade in value. I was talking about Dr Stig 2 who believes that the 35is will be more exclusive and worth more. Maybe he is trying to justify the extra $5000 he spent over the the 35i.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Different country guys - different rules apply!

1. When haggling, walking away works here too.

2. Here, top of the range models are far more exclusive (rare) amongst luxury cars. When used, higher spec models are worth relatively more than lower specced models with the same added options... not always logical, but true.
Possibly because we pay so much more for them...
Most people opt for base models.

3. Over here, trading is no longer the norm. Its usually only the money rich, time poor, or internet naive who trade cars.
There is a $6K minimum difference on the price you will get to selling it privately, which can easily go into the tens of thousands on a luxury car. (to cover statuatory warranties, overheads, profits, GS Tax, stamp duties, etc that dealers have to add on to the price)

Enjoy your day, and appreciate the cultural differences.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know if the salesman will state the 35is will carry a better trade in value. I was talking about Dr Stig 2 who believes that the 35is will be more exclusive and worth more. Maybe he is trying to justify the extra $5000 he spent over the the 35i.
HEre the 35is costs an extra $14,000...

And no one belives anything a saleman tells them...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do not believe a salesperson would say that either, but since they always seem to surprize me with a zinger or two every time I buy a new car, and since that thought about higher resale value was already out there, I figured it was a remote possibility.

My definition of a "zinger" is something the salesperson says that makes you want to go like this all at the same time >
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
HEre the 35is costs an extra $14,000...

And no one belives anything a saleman tells them...
Good to know that salesmen the world over are all the same.
I tend to forget that folks are from different countries and the new and used car market is sometimes different there. My apology for ragging on you about the resale value thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
ED was incredible and I still think of it often even though it was last August. It also makes the buying experience nice with the 7% off base price.
Yes, looking forward to it, particularly since it will be my first time to Europe. I really appriciate the way BMW promotes ED with the discount, too.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Yes, looking forward to it, particularly since it will be my first time to Europe. I really appriciate the way BMW promotes ED with the discount, too.
I take it you have been to this site?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

If not you should bookmark it some good stuff here ... you love it once you get there

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I take it you have been to this site?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

If not you should bookmark it some good stuff here ... you love it once you get there
Had not been to that site. For some reason I managed to overlook the link even though it was in plan sight.

Quick browse and it looks like an excellent planning tool.

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Good to know that salesmen the world over are all the same.
I tend to forget that folks are from different countries and the new and used car market is sometimes different there. My apology for ragging on you about the resale value thing.
Apology accepted.

not that I really minded.

My motto is:
I have to grow old, but I refuse to grow up!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0