New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
boogz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z35i

JB4 Install Guide for Z4

Have seen quite a few of these guides for the 135, 335 etc. Haven't been able to find anything specifically for the Z4.

Picking up the car early next week and this is one of the first things I want to do. How hard is it to install and any guides made specifically for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

when I asked bms I was given a generic one for the 5 series so I don't think a specific one exists.

I would say be careful and don't break and clips and if there is paint on any of the pins really think hard if you want to install a piggy back or go with a obdii based one like Cobb
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
I suggest getting a open source tune from Frank smith.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

get a cobb and dont look back, they have come a long way and install is easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
mikemct
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4sDrive35is, S8, M Roadster

Having Done This Recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogz View Post
Have seen quite a few of these guides for the 135, 335 etc. Haven't been able to find anything specifically for the Z4.

Picking up the car early next week and this is one of the first things I want to do. How hard is it to install and any guides made specifically for our cars?
I just installed a JB4 on my sDrive35is a couple weeks ago using that 5 series guide. A few friends told me how simple and easy it was to install beforehand and it really is simple to understand - only after you've already installed one... My #1 recommendation would be to invite a friend that's installed one already. A few observations:

1) It's much easier to access the ECU on our cars than on the 3/5 series. Half of the installation guide for the 3 and 5 just details getting to the ECU cover. For us, we can just start with the Torx screws and everything is there.

2) It still took me much longer to do the install than what was suggested. This was because I was being extremely cautious and because I couldn't figure out how to get all of the factory clips/connectors apart. I'd recommend finding a video on the process as I'm fairly good at these things and the process still wasn't intuitive enough for me.

3) I had to lift up the plastic container that holds the ECU to get enough clearance to slide the covers that lock in the ribbon cables in place.

4) Once everything is apart and you understand how everything locks together, reassembly is straightforward.

5) I was disappointed that there isn't any mechanism to interlock the factory ribbon cables with the JB4 cables. Only friction keeps them together, which makes me somewhat nervous. I threw the Torx in my car just in case vibration (from the RFTs?) ever shakes them apart.

6) I bought the USB cable but didn't see any obvious way to route into the cabin. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard.

7) I'll probably leave it in for service, because if I keep taking it in/out I feel like I'm going to pull one of 600 wires out of the ribbon connectors. Just my personal fear, others are much more comfortable.

It does make a dramatic difference, even on the 35is. I'm running map 5.
Appreciate 0