New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

My car is going all wonky, what the f*** ??

Hello,
Sorry i have never introduced myself in this forum, but i have been following this forum since January, and last month i have finally got my Z4 e89 sdrive30i manual. (australia)

Though with a limited budget, i have got a dealer's car, which have only done 3400km.
Right now after a month or so, the car have done 5400km, and i start experiencing problems and hoping you guys might know why?

-Aircon turns on everytime i turn on the car (this happen from the first day, and never thought much about it and now it has got pretty annoying)
-My fuel cap always open for no reasons?
-Sometime ill be just reversing out of my house and it says Boot open, then i checked, and it is open for no reasons
-Today whilst i was driving home from uni. The car pop up with a message saying Engine oil low, please refuel. Blah blah, and i happen to be in the car with my mechanic friend and he said that's unusual. As it shouldn't be low unless there is a leak? Then i got home and check the settings on IDRIVE, it's all normal again.

So thank you guys if you could kindly help me. I am very confused, or perhaps i should just call my dealer?

Wilson
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
samiti
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Engine oil low means 1 liter must be added. I have to add 1 liter to mine 23i every 8000 km and as bmw dealer (and also some statments on this forum) told me that this is nothing unusual.
Other things are odd and shold be checked with mehanics.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Mine also turns the aircon on (low) even if I had it off last time I turned off the engine. It doesnt really annoy me because I want it on 80% of the time. I only turn if off if I feel like saving fuel while driving roof down and the temparture is below 28C or so.

And I agree you need to add one liter of engine oil. I also agree it is normal, at least with the N54. The reason the warning comes on and off is probably because the level is still just near the limit. On the other hand, leakage should be easy to detect visually, so just have it checked next time to be sure. I once had leakage from my DTC tranmission, and that was not detected by the system.

The fuel cap and boot issues sounds very odd...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

are you sure that the fuel cap is actually open?

if it actually is - it should trip a check engine/emissions light.

as above - early oil consumption is normal and the AC fans coming on every time you start the car is normal.

as far as the boot being open when you start reversing - it sounds silly, but are you sure that you aren't accidentally hitting the trunk button on your key? its very easy to do - especially if you keep more than just your key in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

The air con thing can happen on early software. The fuel cap being open has to be that you didn't close it, or the clip that keeps it closed is broken.

The boot / oil / fuel warning etc could be an electronics issue, I'd get the dealer/mechanic to test your battery as battery issues in modern cars can cause all sorts of weird electronic faults.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 & M3 Convertible

BMWs with digital Climate Control automatically come on to the previous setting when you start the car. My 3-Series does it, my Z4 does it, my previous 5-Series did it, etc. By Fuel cap do you mean the actual round cap or the fuel door? If it is a matter of the fuel door isn't 'locked' it is supposed to be able to be opened whenever the car is unlocked. As for the boot being open, there are so many ways of opening it. Does your car have the optional 'Comfort Access'. If so, the trunk can be opened by pressing the Roundel on the trunk. It can be opened with the 'hidden' switch under the dash or by the remote fob. Given all of this, it could be possible that you are opening it and not even realizing it. If the car is 'new' why not just take it in for warranty work?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

The "aircon issue", at least in my case, is not an instance of the system reverting to last-used settings. When I drive with the top down, there's no point using air conditioning, so it's always off. If I drive to work with the top down and A/C off, park and put the top up, then after work put the top down and start the car, the A/C will be back on. It's annoying and unnecessary.

I had the boot open warning issue and the false low oil issue when the car was new, but they stopped on their own.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
The "aircon issue", at least in my case, is not an instance of the system reverting to last-used settings. When I drive with the top down, there's no point using air conditioning, so it's always off. If I drive to work with the top down and A/C off, park and put the top up, then after work put the top down and start the car, the A/C will be back on. It's annoying and unnecessary.
annoying, unnecessary and unfortunately completely normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post

I had the boot open warning issue and the false low oil issue when the car was new, but they stopped on their own.
The climate control does have a top down mode - which essentially just means that it will blow harder, I believe. Is your climate control set to automatic?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate all your responses!

I will have a look at the engine oil, as i was provided in my trunk 1L of casterol engine oil.
I thought it was for emergency use, as this is my first BMW. I didn't know the engine required such upkeep.

As for the trunk, it happened again today in the morning when i was going out for breakfast, though it might be a accident like the responses said. i do have comfort access maybe that's why.

As for the Fuel cap, it is the fuel door that is open, i am sorry for the confusion. Though i might think it is opened because every time it happen to be open it's when the car is on and low on fuel. Could this be a comfort thing from BMW assuming i am fueling up?

p.s Some of you kind users suggested that it is a early electronic programming and some suggested it's on from drive setting. If it is so, how do i permanently disable it from turning on automatically (sorry i do not know which position is AUTO for the aircon)
Appreciate 0