New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #23
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Pretty ignorant post, TBH. What year is your X1?
Ignorant how?

FWIW I loved the past generation X1, esp with the straight six.
      12-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #24
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

I work for Toyota. R&D dollars are going into hybrid and electric car tech. BMW has just about perfected application of FI technology on 4,6 and 8-cylinder cars so better to pay them for that instead of recreating the same technology

ISO of Manual 535/550/335
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #25
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by James550i6spd View Post
I work for Toyota. R&D dollars are going into hybrid and electric car tech. BMW has just about perfected application of FI technology on 4,6 and 8-cylinder cars so better to pay them for that instead of recreating the same technology
How exactly do you beat the 1.8 in the corolla in terms of reliability/longevity

they are the quintessential bomb proof motor
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Quote:
How exactly do you beat the 1.8 in the corolla in terms of reliability/longevity

they are the quintessential bomb proof motor
You can't...but you can improve performance (HP and fuel consumption) with forced induction. BMW's 4cylcinder turbo engines are an industry benchmark

ISO of Manual 535/550/335
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #27
TailgatingBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI 320d Touring 2012

Thet would make the toyota a very interesting choice if you're looking for a car in the segment, but part of me doesn't want an engine from a prestigious brand put in a mere peasant's car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #28
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW already supplies Diesels for current European Toyota models so it is not something new or indeed a great issue. Get over it.
I can't speak for the European market, but in the US, BMW is perceived as a premium brand. Having a diesel or any other BMW engine in the bay of an entry level Toyota will be negatively perceived by future potential owners.
This. BMW is known as being a 'premium' vehicle. Stuff a Toyota engine in one, and be ready to lose your clientele. If you're spending your hard earned money for a car that's two times more expensive than a Toyota but has the heart of the car is from a Toyota, why not just buy....a Toyota and save? One of the reasons people buy these cars is due to the powertrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
This. BMW is known as being a 'premium' vehicle. Stuff a Toyota engine in one, and be ready to lose your clientele. If you're spending your hard earned money for a car that's two times more expensive than a Toyota but has the heart of the car is from a Toyota, why not just buy....a Toyota and save? One of the reasons people buy these cars is due to the powertrain.
There is not going to be a Toyota engine transplant in a BMW. If you think the Supra/Z5 will illustrate such a choice? Z5 will only offer BMW four and six cylinder engines. Not the Supras V6.
      12-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #30
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can't...but you can improve performance (HP and fuel consumption) with forced induction. BMW's 4cylcinder turbo engines are an industry benchmark
Hmmm....yea that 1.8 is certainly anemic but bulletproof......just keeps on rolling

Which turbo charged BMW 4cyl would you put on par with that 1.8....or at least close......

I keep seeing BMW fuck up the crankshaft guide bearing on multiple engines......2014-15 4cym mini engines and some early B58's with similar issues......leaves me with the "WTF HOW do you fuck simple shit up" headslap......

I would LOVE a small turbo charged diesel engine in a corrolla with a 6MT as a DD

Too bad Toyota wont pull their heads out of their arses and do diesel in the US.......there are a ton of diesel fans looking for options in light of VW's fuck up who dont want to spend 45-50k on a 328d let alone a MB with a slushbox
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #31
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #32
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Quote:
Hmmm....yea that 1.8 is certainly anemic but bulletproof......just keeps on rolling

Which turbo charged BMW 4cyl would you put on par with that 1.8....or at least close......

I keep seeing BMW fuck up the crankshaft guide bearing on multiple engines......2014-15 4cym mini engines and some early B58's with similar issues......leaves me with the "WTF HOW do you fuck simple shit up" headslap......

I would LOVE a small turbo charged diesel engine in a corrolla with a 6MT as a DD

Too bad Toyota wont pull their heads out of their arses and do diesel in the US.......there are a ton of diesel fans looking for options in light of VW's fuck up who dont want to spend 45-50k on a 328d let alone a MB with a slushbox
exactly

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #33
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

eDrive is the future... !

Quote:
BMW already supplies Diesels for current European Toyota models so it is not something new or indeed a great issue. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #34
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
There is not going to be a Toyota engine transplant in a BMW. If you think the Supra/Z5 will illustrate such a choice? Z5 will only offer BMW four and six cylinder engines. Not the Supras V6.
BMW will never do platform sharing
BMW will never do fwd

Sorry. We see right through you. Maybe it's not happening today or tomorrow. But you guys have already opened that door so wide open that you could drive a truck through it. Money speaks louder then principle (and ethics and morality it seems lately) over there so I'm sure when the time is right it will happen. And you will tell us how most customers don't even know what engine they have or some nonsense.
      12-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #35
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Quote:
Quote:
BMW will never do platform sharing
BMW will never do fwd

Sorry. We see right through you. Maybe it's not happening today or tomorrow. But you guys have already opened that door so wide open that you could drive a truck through it. Money speaks louder then principle (and ethics and morality it seems lately) over there so I'm sure when the time is right it will happen. And you will tell us how most customers don't even know what engine they have or some nonsense.
I cried a little when they offered the Sdrive on the X1. Most ppl won't even know it's fwd haha
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #36
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

So they will call it BMrola or BMyota ?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #37
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Today toyotas get bmw engines and M cars get non-bespoke engines
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #38
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by James550i6spd
Just curious, what happened to TRD? that they needed engine from BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #39
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
I may be totally wrong but this venture sounds like its specific to the EU market

TRD is primarily focused on the US market....and a large number of toyota's for the US market are built IN US factories

The fuel and emmission differences between the US and EU may be enough for Toyota to look to use motors from BMW who's native to the EU in order to cut down on R&D etc

Just speculations on my part
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #40
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Quote:
I may be totally wrong but this venture sounds like its specific to the EU market

TRD is primarily focused on the US market....and a large number of toyota's for the US market are built IN US factories

The fuel and emmission differences between the US and EU may be enough for Toyota to look to use motors from BMW who's native to the EU in order to cut down on R&D etc

Just speculations on my part
Thanks
I was just being little sarcastic..
irrespective of what ppl say here, this will definitely boost Toyota sales...a corolla with BMW engine, ppl Ll love that.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #41
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
irrespective of what ppl say here, this will definitely boost Toyota sales...a corolla with BMW engine, ppl Ll love that.

I dont think we'll ever see it in the US.....at least not in the forseeable future
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #42
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Thanks
It could boost their sales in the short term, until the warranty runs out and owners have to pay out of pocket for repairs. I love my M3, but the parts cost a lot more than a similar Japanese version. Compare BMW Mini reliability to the current Corolla. It kept me from buying one for my kids.
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      12-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #43
boramkiv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k4 View Post
Do you know anything about Toyota's manufacturing processes? 6 sigma implementations and the like? We had Toyota consult us at our plant. The Japanese are very strict about manufacturing. Granted, if there is a technology they are less adept in, small diesels come to mind, they will rely on a JV and so it seems BMW was choosen
BMW engines don't have the overall reputation that a Toyota has regarding reliability, but to say a BMW engine isn't reliable enough to be in a Toyota is ridiculous. You're implying that BMW engines aren't, and that's quite the opposite because it's the overall BMW that suffers from the lack of reliability. BMW makes very good engines and have been doing so for years. Don't let one year of HPFP cloud your judgement because that caused as much drama as a stuck accelerator pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #44
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Doesn't mean much. I'm in one of the new X1 vans right now and the 2l turbo engine in that is pretty trash.
B48 was one of the reason for me to order a new x1. I testdrove it and i liked it. The design pdf is actually telling me that bmw was able to make a proper 4 cyl engine just for once.

Last edited by KSERGEI-BY; 12-26-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0