New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i ///M Dinan S2;)

Buying a new car with Cash...

Im going with the mother in law to buy a new Hyundai Accent tomorrow. The car is listed for $16-17K sticker price. She is dead set on the Accent for whatever reason...so my role is to get her the best deal on this shitbox.

Im pretty sure walking in with cash is the most desired way for a dealer to sell a car but i would appreciate any informative insight on how to negotiate this deal. I forsee a salesman telling us selling the car cash makes them less money since there is no interest rate....but im sure the owner of the dealership would like to unload a car for a smaller but more immediate profit.

How do you think I should approach this?

Any ideas on how much the dealer would let this car go for?

I dont really need a salesman in this transaction at all. She doesnt even want to test drive it, she just wants to drive it home lol. Should we request an audience with the sales manager for this one and skip the snot nosed kid whose on commission???

thanks guys/gals, your insight is much appreciated.
      04-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I am pretty sure for that type of money after some negotiating you could probably pick up an Elantra which is a considerably better car.
      04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree with you but she wants the Accent. Im sure I could sway her but I want her to get the car she wants, God forbid I sway her and the car she gets has problems...id rather my good deed remain good...

you think I could get that car for $15K all in? how do i find the tissue on these cars?
      04-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

just make an offer. Tell them you want the car, you have cash, and want to pay a certain amount. They will likely counter so account for that in your initial offer to get about where you want to pay. Without knowing what they will get rid of the car for, your best bet is to just go for what you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Cash transaction is not going to make a difference to the dealer. If any, it lose them money...like you said on interests. To get a base price, you can email the internet sales departments from all the dealers around your area to get their best price. You can either just buy it from the internet sales without further negotiation, or try to get the regular sales department to beat the internet sales price. That would be my approach.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryFast View Post
Im going with the mother in law to buy a new Hyundai Accent tomorrow. The car is listed for $16-17K sticker price. She is dead set on the Accent for whatever reason...so my role is to get her the best deal on this shitbox.

Im pretty sure walking in with cash is the most desired way for a dealer to sell a car but i would appreciate any informative insight on how to negotiate this deal. I forsee a salesman telling us selling the car cash makes them less money since there is no interest rate....but im sure the owner of the dealership would like to unload a car for a smaller but more immediate profit.

I dont really need a salesman in this transaction at all. She doesnt even want to test drive it, she just wants to drive it home lol. Should we request an audience with the sales manager for this one and skip the snot nosed kid whose on commission???

not gonna lie, i lol'd hard when i read this
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Maybe 30 years ago cash made a difference, but not any more in fact it will tag you as the cheapest sale they could make. The dealership only cares about their margins and turnover. Whether you pay in sacks of quarters or cashier's check makes no difference to them. In fact, they prefer you finance through them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
BMW72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryFast View Post

At least her shitbox doesnt have a tree poking out of the bumper like your shitbox !
      04-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
dealers want u to finance a car. they make money on that. the only benefit for them with a cash sale is that they dont have to possibly deal with poor credit.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

My suggestion would be for you and your mother in law to go look at the car have her choose what she wants, then have your wife take her to lunch whatever and you negotiate on your own for her. If she is there you car salesman will try and succeed in splitting you 2 and she will end up paying more.

In my opinion cash is still king regardless of the whole financing we make more money etc etc.. its 1 of 100 angles the salesman uses. The bottom line is they want the sale. Do your homework and find out what the rock bottom price is for the vehicle, go to 3 or 4 Hyundai ( can't believe I just typed that word ) dealers get business cards and refer to them when you are talking to different sales guy so they know you have your act together.

Your demeanor should be calm, cool and informed be very professional, polite however extremely firm.

If they don't give you the realistic fair deal someone else will.

Alternatively if you don't want to be seen in a Hyundai ( there's that word again ) dealer, dig deep and buy her an X1

Best wishes......
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

offer a little bit more then invoice
      04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/configura...frontPricing=Y

Click on "see what others really paid"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I'd just call each dealer within 50 miles that has one available and let them know you'll go with the best deal by the end of the day. After calling them all you should have close to the best deal possible at a given time.

Might be worth waiting til the end of the month as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Go at the beginning of the month. Play the other end of the deck of cards give a song and dance about how ur poor mother and law really wants this car. You need to get the price as low as possible. When they give you their best offer WALK OUT.. Go back a couple times during the month and see the same salesman, bring up their last "best price." Tell them they have to work with you. Walk out again. Go back at the last day of the month and start the deal again and try to get a lower price.. It should be lower... Then whip out the check and pay..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
not gonna lie, i lol'd hard when i read this
That made me laugh too...

The funny thing is my 135i didnt make it over 38k miles..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Pretend you are trading in your 1 and want to get 2 accents, one for each of you! And tape the reaction on the sales persons's face and post it here!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I hear that's the new catch phrase for the salespeople...

"Hello customer, what will it take for me to put you in this shitbox today?" :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I hear that's the new catch phrase for the salespeople...

"Hello customer, what will it take for me to put you in this shitbox today?" :-)

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So my mother in law is driving around in the exact car she wanted WITH a lifetime drivetrain warranty for $17,400 cash out the door. She's happy, and im done. Life is good.

Oh, and the stick is gone...lol, just got her back from the spa on Monday. Photoshoot pending...