New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Merino (Canyon Brown) vs. Kansas (Any Color) Leather

Anyone have strong feelings one way or the other? Differences in "hand," durability, patina over time, appearance maintenance, etc. Also, any ideas about extended vs. regular leather options? Something to do with dash and door panels in leather rather than leatherette, I gather. Big deal or big deal about nothing? Thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I would assume leather to last longer but that may change if the seats see a lot of sun and heat, also pulled from another thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
I would assume leather to last longer but that may change if the seats see a lot of sun and heat, also pulled from another thread
Thanks for the chart that shows difference between "regular" and extended coverage, but I think the chart has old info as to types and colors. For example, I believe the Ivory Nappa was deleted some time ago and I see no Canyon Brown or any other color of Merino. Do you have any experience with Merino leather in late model Z4 or other BMW models of other vintage? I'm interested in the comparison between "regular" (Kansas) leather and Merino.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My wife's E90 has the oyster / black two tone interior. I really like it but it is a pain to clean and it started showing wear on the edge of the driver seat after 12months. I would be cautious about a light colored leather for a "keeper" based on this experience

My E89 has black kansas leather it seems to be holding up fine after 9 months.

EDIT: I wouldn't get the beige leather because of the beige carpet.. would be a PITA to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
williakz
Banned
Rep

I hear you loud and clear on light colored leather AND carpets. No mas.

The Canyon Brown Merino looks to be a fairly deep brown and of course the car would have the black carpet. Since the Merino is so new to the Z4, can you suggest a more likely BMW forum where I could find out specifically about Merino? I ask because I'm not at all familiar with BMW vehicles. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

This from an M3 board. Hope it helps:
BMW uses Merino leather in the M5, as they do in some 7-series cars, while dakota leather is used for the regular 5-series/3-series. Merino is a thicker and higher quality cowhide that typically doesn't have any additional surface treatment or graining compared to other types, meaning they have to be selectively picked from good batches. it is one of the softest types available yet maintains durability. Nappa is thinner, not as soft, more prone to scratches, but is often preferred because it feels smoother. Merino does retain more of the leather smell that people like though. I'm guessing they used Nappa for the M3 because it is cheaper, and perhaps because it's lighter?

For what it's worth, over the same period of time, the Merino leather in my M5 has held up much better than the Nappa leather in my RS4. I haven't treated or cleaned the leather on either car yet. The M5's Merino seems more resistant to scuffing, scratching, and especially folding and creasing. Two years and 13k miles later, it still has that strong smell of new car leather when I get in. Not so much the RS4 after 12k miles. Its Nappa smells like butt sweat, looks kinda weathered, and has so more wrinkles and creases than my 45 year old thrice divorced office assistant with 7 kids.

I'm very curious to see what Novillo is like. Hopefully it'll be more like Merino.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
williakz
Banned
Rep

Great info, thanks!

The Merino in my 2014 35i ended up costing just $140 more than the Kansas. Can't beat that if it's as nice as the stuff the poster talks about for the M5 and 7-series! I read somewhere around here that other leathers (Dakota, Kansas, Boston, and one I can't remember) are all similar - a bit stiff, but designed to last. We shall see.

Update: Nevada is the one I was missing

Last edited by williakz; 04-24-2013 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I've never had Merino leather personally, but while I was shopping around for the Z I did sit in a few M6s that had the Merino. To my understanding, Merino is a higher grade/quality of leather compared to Nappa (if not one of the highest in terms of automotive leathering). I have Nappa leather from the Citrus package and comparing the Nappa, Merino, Kansas, here is my experience. Kansas is essentially indestructible. Looks the same no matter what. You really have to go at it to really do any damage. I tried scratching mine once with my fingernail really hard, but nothing happened (don't ask...). However, it doesn't really look or feel like leather... almost like a synthetic vinyl (think MBTex from Mercedes). In my experience, Nappa is softer than Merino, contrary to what the person from the M3 forum said. However, the Merino feels "fluffier" like the Kansas, like there is some cushioning inside, but the Nappa feels like it has a solid interior. Maybe this is what they mean by Nappa being not as soft. However, Nappa does scratch extremely easily and wears very poorly too. After a little over 2 months and 3,000 miles, you can see some wear from the leg bolsters. I would put Merino in between Kansas in terms of wear and softness. It has the Kansas textured look, and while it does feel really soft and cushion-y (though not as soft and doesn't have premium feel to the touch like the Nappa does it still has that stiffness to it like the Kansas leather, leading me to believe it wears well. I can't comment on it compared to the Kansas since I don't have Merino, but I am certain it wears better than the Nappa.

So to answer your question, the Merino will feel like a really big cushion compared to the Kansas and Nappa, however, it lacks the smoothness and soft touch. Again, can't comment on durability but I would put it between Kansas and Nappa (as in, treat it well, it will last... very long. But doubt it can take any real abuse like Kansas). I say this because I've seen display vehicles (new, 2013) with Nappa, and even just from customers coming in and out it shows wear. The Merino, like the Kansas (and I can only imagine M6 gets a lot of attention) looks new. A good choice IMO, esp. if you like the color and considering the price!

Also, Dakota, Boston, Kansas, Nevada are all just different name for cheap yet durable cow leather (normal leather). Nappa is baby lamb. Merino is full-grain thick cowhide.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
williakz
Banned
Rep

Amazing! Are you in the leather business? You have all this stuff down pat. Thank you so much for the information. I changed the 35i order to Canyon Brown Merino M Sport Package which brought into play some additional exterior color choices, one of them being the Mineral White Metallic. This pearlescent white is really quite striking and is my wife's favorite car color (it's her car, after all). An auspicious beginning to the first BMW in our family. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz
Amazing! Are you in the leather business? You have all this stuff down pat. Thank you so much for the information. I changed the 35i order to Canyon Brown Merino M Sport Package which brought into play some additional exterior color choices, one of them being the Mineral White Metallic. This pearlescent white is really quite striking and is my wife's favorite car color (it's her car, after all). An auspicious beginning to the first BMW in our family. Thanks again.
Mineral white and canyon brown is going to look great.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
williakz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Mineral white and canyon brown is going to look great.
Some pics (2011, I think).
Appreciate 0