New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

09-20-2009, 03:58 AM   #45
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
The project suspension started.We have finished the front axle and monday we continue with the rear axle.Keep in touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #46
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Suspension springs installed with front bilstein schocks.The car changed handling 100%.Now i can drive really fast and feeling safe.Picture in the following link
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306638
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
unicenter
Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned,Mini R56 JCW
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned

What about rear axle nick?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #48
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
No need for rear schocks.The front made the whole car change.Rear is softer but its a roadster so it has to be more soft at the rear.The M springs matched fine so next move will be stabilizers.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #49
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EST View Post
No need for rear shocks.The front made the whole car change.Rear is softer but its a roadster so it has to be more soft at the rear.The M springs matched fine so next move will be stabilizers.
My 1st project will be to do the stabilizers, and if needed, dampers then do the springs. I'm curious why you did the spring and dampers before the stabilizers? In the US we seem to equate good handling with hard spring, but for street performance that's not necessarily true. Unless you're doing a lot of high speed driving, a more compliant suspension is better for keeping the tires on the ground and for ride comfort - IMO.

The other thing is does your z have the M Sport suspension? I've looked around and have not been able to determine if Bilstein has an upgrade replacement for BMW M Sport dampers.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-04-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Looking good.

Which set of Bilstein shocks were used if you don't me asking?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #51
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
My 1st project will be to do the stabilizers, and if needed, dampers then do the springs. I'm curious why you did the spring and dampers before the stabilizers? In the US we seem the equate good handling with hard spring, but for street performance that's not necessarily true. Unless you're doing a lot of high speed driving, a more compliant suspension is better for keeping the tires on the ground and for ride comfort - IMO.

The other thing is does your z have the M Sport suspension? I've looked around and have been able to determine if Bilstein has an upgrade replacement for BMW M Sport dampers.
Since i own a tuning company my car had its power upgrade from the 1st day of delivery.The M suspension was not in my order because i wanted to make my own setup.Plus when you remove an M electric suspension you get trouble with fault messages and what is the reason to pay extra for something that you will remove.
When i got the car in Munich i drove it fast it in the autobahn.During hard acceleration the front was going up and during braking falling down.My first impression was like being in a boat.The rear by the way was fine.
When i drove the car in Greece (where the roads are not so good as in Germany)in fast cornering i had a feeling of loosing the car.This make me start the suspension mods.
With the M springs and a set of harder front dampers the car is moving in the same bad roads with much higher speeds.The moving of the front dissapeared and the fast cornering is now a new enjoy for me with a feeling of a safe driving roadster.
By the way in the high speed cornering i try on the way back home ,i reached speeds that was only possible with my DCT 08 E92 M3 with the M suspension in the sport mode.
That is the big proof of success in the handling of my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #52
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since i own a tuning company my car had its power upgrade from the 1st day of delivery.The M suspension was not in my order because i wanted to make my own setup.Plus when you remove an M electric suspension you get trouble with fault messages and what is the reason to pay extra for something that you will remove.
When i got the car in Munich i drove it fast it in the autobahn.During hard acceleration the front was going up and during braking falling down.My first impression was like being in a boat.The rear by the way was fine.
When i drove the car in Greece (where the roads are not so good as in Germany)in fast cornering i had a feeling of loosing the car.This make me start the suspension mods.
With the M springs and a set of harder front dampers the car is moving in the same bad roads with much higher speeds.The moving of the front dissapeared and the fast cornering is now a new enjoy for me with a feeling of a safe driving roadster.
By the way in the high speed cornering i try on the way back home ,i reached speeds that was only possible with my DCT 08 E92 M3 with the M suspension in the sport mode.
That is the big proof of success in the handling of my Z4.
That's excellent info, thanks. I appreciate your approach.

I'm debating on a number of things about my Z4 purchase, and I have to say the people here at Zpost have been very helpful in that regard.

1st - Even though I’m terribly geeky and a nerd when it comes high tek stuff, and I love the idea of tt w/ DCT, I may not get it. The whole HPFP issue really bothers me. Even though it may not affect a huge number of owners, the fact that BMW extended the HPFP warranty for some owners is an indication of a real problem. I’ve recently heard that BMW has a new HPFP design that may fix things, so I’m waiting for additional info on that issue. However, I'm thinking of going with the 30i w/ MT. I'm sort of a traditionalist, and even though a tune with TT is an easy route to more ponies, I may have to earn my extra horses the old fashion way with a normally aspirated engine. The big advantage is zero lag, but I wish it had the M throttle assemblies as I can only imagine the beautiful response of those 6 butterflies flying open (where’s a real M when you need it?).

2nd - Like you, I may not go with the M Sport suspension and look at doing a few mild suspension tunes myself that likely will be sufficient for my needs. I hadn’t really planned on changing the springs, but based on your info, a slightly higher spring rate may be in order. What are the specs your springs? I’d also like to know the PN and specs for the dampers and stabilizer bars you’re looking at.

With these two considerations, the car may not be quite as powerful, but likely be a better driver’s car and just what I need for a daily driver. The 30i engine weighs a couple hundred less than the n54. I've been reading that BMW is very conservative in their published engine ratings, so getting to 300 hp or above wouldn't be much of a problem. I'll miss the tt tq, but, like they say, the quickest way to improve your power to weight ratio is to shave off a few pounds.

Please, any and all information on your exact mods is very helpful. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #53
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
The only info i can tell is that my springs are from the M suspension which is just 10mm lower.I found the code in the ETK by using my VIN number and searching on the spring table.The codes i can not tell because it depends on the engine, gearbox, options every car has.The dampers are bilstein but again i got my original as a sample and went to the main warehouse of bilstein in my country to find the ones that match better .After some possible options i choose the closest and needed some small adapters to fit the top mount.
As you can see i cant tell you codes because this is a combination of parts that was tested in my car.In some other cars may not work fine or not be the taste of the owner.For this reason bilstein will deliver sport dampers as soon as they test it and find the ones that match in all z4s since all are 6cyl engined.The choose will be in springs depending on engines and in dampers if lowered car or not.
When you have your VIN number in your hands i can help you if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #54
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only info i can tell is that my springs are from the M suspension which is just 10mm lower.I found the code in the ETK by using my VIN number and searching on the spring table.The codes i can not tell because it depends on the engine, gearbox, options every car has.The dampers are bilstein but again i got my original as a sample and went to the main warehouse of bilstein in my country to find the ones that match better .After some possible options i choose the closest and needed some small adapters to fit the top mount.
As you can see i cant tell you codes because this is a combination of parts that was tested in my car.In some other cars may not work fine or not be the taste of the owner.For this reason bilstein will deliver sport dampers as soon as they test it and find the ones that match in all z4s since all are 6cyl engined.The choose will be in springs depending on engines and in dampers if lowered car or not.
When you have your VIN number in your hands i can help you if you want.
Thanks for that info. I'll certainly contact you in the near future.

Could you please enlighten me as to the meaning of the term ETK?

Well, I'm back to my original plan to get a 35i with DCT!

I had a chance to talk with Steve Dinan yesterday, and feel much better about that scenario. I'm still debating about M Sport, and would like that choice if Bilstein or someone else comes out with something comparable.

My goal is to get the Z4 35i with nice street manners, but would like to be able to alter its personality on cue. It will never be an "M", but can be close.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #55
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'll certainly contact you in the near future.

Could you please enlighten me as to the meaning of the term ETK?

Well, I'm back to my original plan to get a 35i with DCT!

I had a chance to talk with Steve Dinan yesterday, and feel much better about that scenario. I'm still debating about M Sport, and would like that choice if Bilstein or someone else comes out with something comparable.

My goal is to get the Z4 35i with nice street manners, but would like to be able to alter its personality on cue. It will never be an "M", but can be close.
ETK is the BMW parts katalogue.And by the way Bilstein will be releasing a sport damper setup for E89 in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #56
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #57
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ETK is the BMW parts katalogue.And by the way Bilstein will be releasing a sport damper setup for E89 in 2010.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #58
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
My goal is to get the Z4 35i with nice street manners, but would like to be able to alter its personality on cue.
I'm with you on that one.
Appreciate 0