New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Homelink GDO Security+ 2.0 upgrade

I found the following thread over in the e90 forum where they had the same issue with the Homelink system in the mirror doesn't work with newer Security+ 2.0 garage door openers:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921544

I haven't tried it out yet, but it is essentially swapping the GDO module out of a 2011 or later F-series car that has the same mount (twist) as the e89. Newer models, after 2015 or so have a claw type mount and the modules are a different form factor.

You have to swap the module into your mirror. The F-series mirrors are not compatible electrically with the E-series. It appears to be straightforward - pop the trim off the mirror. Snap the board out and disconnect the power connector. Reverse to install the newer module.

Based on the thread and RealOEM, the following mirror part numbers should be the most common; 51169320305 and 51169224345.

I found a few on ebay for $50. I'll probably watch the local U-Pull-it yard. They charge ~$12 for a mirror when you can find one.

Gerry
      10-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

I can't answer your question but to provide a possible alternative solution if you haven't considered it; I got one of these homelink repeaters to get the z4 to work with my garage that has security 2.0

https://www.opendoorremote.com/855lm...-door-openers/

Basically you plug it into an outlet and it'll pick up the z4's signal and send it out to your garage opener instead. Only downside is that depending on the placement, the range won't be as long as your standard garage opener.

If you do end up replacing the module in the car, let us know how it goes! Good luck.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray7792 View Post
I can't answer your question but to provide a possible alternative solution if you haven't considered it; I got one of these homelink repeaters to get the z4 to work with my garage that has security 2.0

https://www.opendoorremote.com/855lm...-door-openers/

Basically you plug it into an outlet and it'll pick up the z4's signal and send it out to your garage opener instead. Only downside is that depending on the placement, the range won't be as long as your standard garage opener.

If you do end up replacing the module in the car, let us know how it goes! Good luck.

Cheers,
I have the Homelink repeater, so I do have that solution and it works. I may try this if I happen across a cheap mirror. The cars from the right period are starting to appear more often in the U-pull-it yards.

The issue of the Z's Homelink system not working with the newer Security+ 2.0 openers comes up regularly on this board. When I've pointed them to the repeater, some have complained about the cost or the annoyance of setting it up.

I just happened to run across this option. It is more elegant, even if it is a bit more work. And if you can find the mirror at a junkyard, it's cheaper than the repeater. So I thought I'd share it here.

BTW, the reason I was on the E90 board is that it shares a lot of systems with the E89. And since there were many more of them, there's more information being shared.

Gerry