New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #23
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I've been through leadership courses (Primary Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - PNCOC (prior to promotion to Sergeant) and Basic Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - BNCOC (prior to promotion to Staff Sergeant)). They taught you about the qualities of leadership. Things like integrity and accepting responsibility and morale courage (you know, the things all politicians lack). They were instrumental in focusing one's mind on the things that help make successful leaders.

And I've taken courses on the science of leadership, which is a different animal but still important. Things like personality traits of those who work with you and how groups perform and so on.

Both valuable studies. Natural leadership is a seed. With the right training, it can be cultured and grown into a powerful tool. I've seen "leaders" who just don't have the gift despite all the training. And I've seen leaders who needed little training, but just some fine tuning. The "naturals." But in both cases the practice of studying and training for leadership is valuable and not to be dismissed. It's always worth the effort.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
Maynard3804.50
      04-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #24
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've been through leadership courses (Primary Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - PNCOC (prior to promotion to Sergeant) and Basic Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - BNCOC (prior to promotion to Staff Sergeant)). They taught you about the qualities of leadership. Things like integrity and accepting responsibility and morale courage (you know, the things all politicians lack). They were instrumental in focusing one's mind on the things that help make successful leaders.

And I've taken courses on the science of leadership, which is a different animal but still important. Things like personality traits of those who work with you and how groups perform and so on.

Both valuable studies. Natural leadership is a seed. With the right training, it can be cultured and grown into a powerful tool. I've seen "leaders" who just don't have the gift despite all the training. And I've seen leaders who needed little training, but just some fine tuning. The "naturals." But in both cases the practice of studying and training for leadership is valuable and not to be dismissed. It's always worth the effort.
I totally agree!! During my time in the Air Force, I graduated from Squadron Officers School, from Air Command and Staff College and from Air War College. All had emphasis on both management and leadership. Yes, there are born leaders, but I saw many great leaders who blossomed with training.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
M_Six16536.50
      04-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

I totally agree!! During my time in the Air Force, I graduated from Squadron Officers School, from Air Command and Staff College and from Air War College. All had emphasis on both management and leadership. Yes, there are born leaders, but I saw many great leaders who blossomed with training.
Glad you guys weighted in. I work with Veterans and it is clear that our military has an excellent process to train and develop leadership skills. Unfortunately, it seems to make rejoining the "normal" world a bit of a drag, so I understand the cynicism about the run-of-the-mill corporate 'leaders' who are just appointed bigshots (unfortunately, we are dealing with more than a few of that type as well - the 'never mind what works, this looks better on paper' crowd).
Appreciate 2
M_Six16536.50
SakhirM410783.00
      04-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paletero View Post
Thanks for your help!

1.) What is your title, position, name of company, and how long have you been with the company?

POTUS, US of A, approx 100 days

2.) Do you think management and leadership are the same?

YES

3.) What do you think defines a good manager?

making the hard decisions no one else wants to make

4.) What do you think defines a good leader?

ability to know when to push the big red button
and also knowing when to finish with peoples questions

thank you

11.) Tell me a little about your day to day challenges and your approaches to resolving them.

Fake news !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Interesting medium for your assignment asking on a forum. I`m bored so here goes:

1.) What is your title, position, name of company, and how long have you been with the company?
Former Branch Manager, CIBC (Bank), 2 years (currently in a non-management role with a different company left CIBC on my own terms).

2.) Do you think management and leadership are the same?
No, but a good manager will have good leadership qualities. You can be a leader without being a manager.

3.) What do you think defines a good manager?
A good manager is a good leader. Good communication, empathy and transparency are key to maintain `buy-in`of the individuals you manage. You are there for the company that employs you (that shouldn't be a surprise) and to get the best out of your team. Knowing those people and how to get the best out of them involves many strategies, but sincerity in getting the best out of everyone and thus yourself will get you there.

4.) What do you think defines a good leader?
A good leader is someone who manages risk while having an appetite to take on a challenge and better whatever they are working toward. If that is profit or some other goal. Being a good leader is motivating those who work in your team to do their best to get to that common goal. Respect and communication will help you discover what needs to be done to get everyone on board (or off board).

5.) What do you think are the roles of a manager vs leader?
The difference to me is someone who purely evaluates the end performance of their team as a defined roll "versus" someone who leads the team toward success in a common goal without it necessarily being defined to them as their objective. Having said that, this is where "positions" in a company may blur my definition for a manager versus a 'team leader'.

6.) What are some issues your organization is having? Do you feel this can be solved with better management or leadership? Why?
I will not be specific to my organization because I think these challenges are widespread for all organizations. It's simple, the proper amount of reward and recognition is a constant battle. It doesn't always have to be a cost issue. Proper recognition of accomplishments and 'did wells' can go a long way. Finding the right people to buy into this mantra and commit to it regularly and consistently is the issue. That issue can be solved with tools in place to support this structure by all leaders at all levels.

7.) As a manager what is your role at the organization?
I manage my teams to deliver exceptional service while increasing profits for the shareholders of the company. In the end, my team and I fall into the group of shareholders as well as those who benefit from the financial success of the organisation.

8.) Do you feel you are not only a manager but a leader as well? Why?
I feel I am a leader as I am able to obtain the commitment for my team as we work toward a common goal.

9.) Do you believe managers and leaders are made or born?
Honestly, I think that's a terrible question. Certain qualities come from learning and gaining knowledge along the way. I hope from my answers you were able to derive some common trends and qualities. No one is "born with it"; management and leadership is not a Maybelline advertisement.

10.) Do think an organization can only operate with leaders or only managers? Why?
The line is blurred by organizations to define roles; that's why your question even exists! Leadership is a quality of a good manager (among other attributes). To answer the question every organization needs a good leader. Depending on the size and goals within a larger organization, certain objectives will need leaders heading the team focused on that goal or objective. Define that leader how you want (manager, team lead, guru etc.).

11.) Tell me a little about your day to day challenges and your approaches to resolving them.
Motivating everyone to the common objective or goal. It's that simple. Everyone is different and thus is motivated in different ways. They have their own lives that in many different ways can affect how they work as an individual within the team, as well as how they work with the rest of the team. Consistent cohesiveness of everyone is always a challenge along with encouraging teams to get the best out of each individual person. My success has been through good communication, appropriate transparency, empathy and honesty. Coach and record, motivate and inspire. That's all.
Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #28
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts! Got some good ideas for my paper!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six

Things havent changed much in 40 years then. I've taken Cpls and Sgts courses, and also college courses on leadership. They all reiterate the same about leading from the front, welfare of those in your charge, integrity and so on.

For the OP, if you Google USMC leadership traits and also principles, you will find a good source on the subject for what can guide a person to be a leader. Not all apply in a corporate environment though.

Every time I've written a paper about leadership or such, I have referenced the military's way, since we've pretty much perfected it.

The comparison on management versus leadership. I look at it this way, managers maintain an organization to complete a daily or monthly task, through the means of delegating tasks, without the consideration of welfare for those under you. Leaders inspire the subordinates into accomplishing the task and they seek advise and guidance to those in their charge, and also seek to improve themselves via the leaders in charge of them.
      04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Things havent changed much in 40 years then.
My leadership courses were in the late 70's and early 80's, so also 35-40 years ago. I have no idea what they're like now. But yeah, the military knows how to teach leadership.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #31
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
Things havent changed much in 40 years then.
My leadership courses were in the late 70's and early 80's, so also 35-40 years ago. I have no idea what they're like now. But yeah, the military knows how to teach leadership.
I remember you saying you've been out for that long, but I am still in.
      04-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #32
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember you saying you've been out for that long, but I am still in.
Ah, ok. I completely misread that. Mea culpa.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #33
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Here is the best interview question I hear of in a long time. This get right at the heart of what motivated someone. For management and teams you want people who can work together and the best kind of people who work well together are those people which are define a givers. These are people who look for ways to help others succeed, not only worry about their own success. Takers are the ones you do not want, they tend to destroy organizations since they only worry about want is in it for them.

The question is: Name 4 people who they help with their careers,

The giver will tell you about people below them and peers,
The take will tell you only about people who were above them, the classic ass kisser.

This question came from a person who spent his entire career working with organization and helping them build successful careers and he found that this questions roots out the bad apples.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #34
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

My .02
A manager dots the i's and crosses the t's. In other words gets the task accomplished.

A leader INSPIRES those around them to be better.

Leaders are looked up to, and respected. Managers are merely in charge.

Now you can be both a leader and manager. If you are both there will be a line around the block looking for your skill.
Appreciate 0