New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

LUXON Strut Bar Review

Hey guys,

Just wanted to write a quick review on the Luxon Strut Bar. As you can tell from my sig, and many posts I revamped my suspension with the some E9x M components and other specials bits.

You can see that here on posts, #56/58…
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...bing+m3&page=3

The previous suspensions mods felts great, and I highly recommend. However after a few mountain runs I felt there was still room for improvement and started looking into strut bars. One main concern was clearance with my intake. After confirming fit with ttuner I pulled the trigger on the Luxon bar.

Fit and finish: Its a great looking, very sturdy bar. The welds aren't the prettiest but they do the job. I like the fact there aren't any hinges, or extra connections. Its just one unit. Also the mount wraps around the whole strut tower, not just a corner.

Install: It was pretty straight fwd. We just needed to lift the front off the ground and let the chassis relax. Then it was just aligning everything and bolting in.

Results: I was nervous if I would notice tbh, but as soon as I drove down the block I can honestly say it made a difference. The steering actually felt noticeably better, and the way the car responded to steering input was much more "in sync." The car is much flatter, on both low and high speed corners.

Recommend? 100%. If any one is doing the E9x M front suspension swap, or coil overs at least, I would say this is the missing link. I'm not sure if stock suspension guys would gain the same benefits.

Here some pics for ya, excuse the dirty engine bay...
Attached Images

GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19

Last edited by jts1981; 04-08-2016 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Looks good! Where did you get yours? I searched and only found one on eBay. Are there any other shops that carry it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Looks good! Where did you get yours? I searched and only found one on eBay. Are there any other shops that carry it?
Thanks Tangent! Yep as far as I know its only ebay. The seller was very profession so I wouldn't worry. Shipment was pretty quick too.

here's a link for ya
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190702247716
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

thanks for the review! i assume the handling difference isnt as night and day like h&r sways? i am tempted tho
      04-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven View Post
thanks for the review! i assume the handling difference isnt as night and day like h&r sways? i am tempted tho
I noticed a big difference, but I also have upgraded bushings and coil overs which eliminate a lot of slop. I don't think guys on stock bushings and shocks will notice as much.

If you have windy roads you will notice an improvement, but if you mainly flat, straight roads then probably not as much.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I like........
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

There is a lot of snout on the E89. It's funny - the past twenty years, torsionally rigidity has increased significantly in BMW chassis. There are those that claim such stress bars are no longer needed. I don't buy it - my E39 has two dimples in the hood from its stress bar tapping the hood from the bottom (through the sound deadening) under spirited driving.

I ordered the Luxon and am waiting on it. I was not a fan of the bars with threads and such. Hopefully this sucker is stiff and will help put a triangle over the front end. To digress I've found it amusing how these cars are so limited in parts availability - I guess it's no E90 at scale. I've tried to order 4 lip spoilers and I've now determined that they are all coming from one mold, because all four retailers have told me a similar story (mold broke, having to be remade, had fitment issues, etc).

Thanks for the tip on this stress bar. Looking forward to getting mine.

Filippo
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
To digress I've found it amusing how these cars are so limited in parts availability - I guess it's no E90 at scale.
LOL ! E89 Z4 much more expensive so didn't have much of a movement except with an older gen whom the majority are not enthusiasts so it had less of a demand.

Interest in the Z4 is slowly coming about as they drop in price from former leases and much safer to get than a 3 series, as you don't have to worry much about transmission issues etc that you would "think" the dealer screened for.

So enthusiasts for the nack to build a true BMW sports car the Z4 will be able to carry the flame. As soon a one manufacturer take it seriously and Z4 owner start dumping money then it will get just as popular but don't wish for the same wish for better

Last edited by BQTuning; 04-18-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0