New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #45
plasma23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Garage List
2007 330i N53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I live in a prius infested street, and I have had the time to ask them. It's because they feel the need to be environmentally aware.

The best thing to handle this neighbor relation matter was to ask, do they know how much worse they are making it with their cars. Now I don't have to worry about my kids hanging with people who assume and get the slogan, not the fine print.

They look bad, and the drivers, well they live on my street. I have not driven one, mainly due to my lack of willingness to stand hypocrisy, but I actually try to be kind to the environment. It's not just the gas and miles and car that counts.
Here we have 2 separate issues. I'll try to attempt to resolve each of them; please correct me if I'm wrong.

The First Issue:

Why don't consumers buy a Golf TDI instead of Prius? In fact, here in the UK more people have (and are) buying diesels over petrols and even hybrids. As another person here posted, the TDI, or any diesel for that matter, cannot achieve the same MPG as a Prius over short, town journeys and the difference between the 2 in mpg is quite substantial. In my experience, diesels use at much fuel as petrols from cold start. Only once they achieve the optimum operating temperature do they become more efficient. Further, diesels weren't really designed for short (under 5mile) stop start journeys. Modern diesel (2008 onwards) come with a particulate filter and they become blocked if one does a lot of short/town journeys. Replacing one of these filters is VERY expensive. In the UK consumers are realising the short falls of diesels and people are beginning to revert back to petrols (turbo petrols) for those who do more town journeys or less than 10k miles in a year.

The Second Issue

Not sure about the states, but people here don't buy the Prius to show off that they are 'environmentally friendly.' That's complete nonsense, anyone with half a brain would know that Prius won't save the planet and would know that it's carbon footprint is higher than most other bigger cars. Here, people get the Prius primarly because it's so cheap to run. Zero road tax, very fuel efficient, high residual value, not that much more expensive (if any) than the equivalent sized diesel car and excellent Toyota reliabilty.

In another story, some Prius driver pri*k tried to get ahead of me at the lights today and he was even in the wrong lane. I cannot allow that. Even though the Prius has good low down torque, I problem that I was worried about what the awful lag in the E90 auto transmission from standstill. (is there something wrong with my car??!!) Anywho, I put the handbrake on, put it in 'D' revving at 3k rpm and let off. The Prius had no chance.

Last edited by plasma23; 04-22-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma23 View Post
Here we have 2 separate issues. I'll try to attempt to resolve each of them; please correct me if I'm wrong.

The First Issue:

Why don't consumers buy a Golf TDI instead of Prius? In fact, here in the UK more people have (and are) buying diesels over petrols and even hybrids. As another person here posted, the TDI, or any diesel for that matter, cannot achieve the same MPG as a Prius over short, town journeys and the difference between the 2 in mpg is quite substancial. In my experience, diesels use at much fuel as petrols from cold start. Only once they achieve the optimum operating temperature do they become more efficient. Further, diesels weren't really designed for short (under 5mile) stop start journeys. Modern diesel (2008 onwards) come with a particulate filter and they become blocked if one does a lot of short/town journeys. Replacing one of these filters is VERY expensive. In the UK consumers are realising the short falls of diesels and people are beginning to revert back to petrols (turbo petrols) for those who do more town journeys or less than 10k miles in a year.

The Second Issue

Not sure about the states, but people here don't buy the Prius to show off that they are 'environmentally friendly.' That's complete nonsense, anyone with half a brain would know that Prius won't save the planet and would know that it's carbon footprint is higher than most other bigger cars. Here, people get the Prius primarly because it's so cheap to run. Zero road tax, very fuel efficient, high residual value, not that much more expensive (if any) than the equivalent sized diesel car and excellent Toyota reliabilty.

In another story, some Prius driver pri*k tried to get ahead of me at the lights today and he was even in the wrong lane. I cannot allow that. Even though the Prius has good low down torque, I problem that I was worried about what the awful lag in the E90 auto transmission from standstill. (is there something wrong with my car??!!) Anywho, I put the handbrake on, put it in 'D' revving at 3k rpm and let off. The Prius had no chance.
To be honest, I can't comment on the reasons behind these great minds beyond the points given to me by them. I'm from Northern Europe, and even we now have Priuses, and I can just imagine what the -30C will do to the batteries. With the petrol prices EU countries pay, even I do see the point. I will end up using the M4 as a garden gnome back there, if I ever survive the import taxes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #47
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
But in any regard, the Golf TDI is an actual driver's car. The Prius, not at all.
That may be the case in America but in England, it's just another plain old commuter box, the default car of choice for anyone looking for a family hatchback really.

Not to discredit the Golf at all, it's a great (if somewhat drab) car but I wouldn't mind one for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #48
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordRE View Post
That may be the case in America but in England, it's just another plain old commuter box, the default car of choice for anyone looking for a family hatchback really.

Not to discredit the Golf at all, it's a great (if somewhat drab) car but I wouldn't mind one for a daily driver.
As a European now living in the US, I grew up on Golfs. We had an Mk1 and then an Mk2. It's the perfect "A to B" car and I have fond memories of my mother driving us around everywhere in that thing... But having driven both the new Golf and the Prius, one cannot tell me the Golf doesn't drive heaps better.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #49
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
The Second Issue

Not sure about the states, but people here don't buy the Prius to show off that they are 'environmentally friendly.' That's complete nonsense, anyone with half a brain would know that Prius won't save the planet and would know that it's carbon footprint is higher than most other bigger cars.
We're Americans, we don't know any better. I thought that when the battery needed to be replaced, you just took the old one, planted it in the ground and it'd grow into a glorious lemon tree.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #50
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

The First Issue:

Why don't consumers buy a Golf TDI instead of Prius? In fact, here in the UK more people have (and are) buying diesels over petrols and even hybrids. As another person here posted, the TDI, or any diesel for that matter, cannot achieve the same MPG as a Prius over short, town journeys and the difference between the 2 in mpg is quite substancial. In my experience, diesels use at much fuel as petrols from cold start. Only once they achieve the optimum operating temperature do they become more efficient. Further, diesels weren't really designed for short (under 5mile) stop start journeys. Modern diesel (2008 onwards) come with a particulate filter and they become blocked if one does a lot of short/town journeys. Replacing one of these filters is VERY expensive. In the UK consumers are realising the short falls of diesels and people are beginning to revert back to petrols (turbo petrols) for those who do more town journeys or less than 10k miles in a year.

The Second Issue

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #51
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
As a European now living in the US, I grew up on Golfs. We had an Mk1 and then an Mk2. It's the perfect "A to B" car and I have fond memories of my mother driving us around everywhere in that thing... But having driven both the new Golf and the Prius, one cannot tell me the Golf doesn't drive heaps better.
Golfs are great! The solution in that continent. Here we from the countries of shitty taxes tend to go crazy with the cars, I for one work as a perfect example on that area.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #52
plasma23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 330i N53  [0.00]
Quote:
It's actually more around 10 US MPG. But in any regard, the Golf TDI is an actual driver's car. The Prius, not at all.
lol this has gotta be a joke right? The Golf TDI isn'y a drivers car in any shape or form. It's a German eco box getting from A to B. It's a front wheel drive, front heavy car! Now the Golf GTI is another matter, that is a drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #53
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

No worries, there's the new golf GTE that will spit out something like 130mpg. No need to look like a complete dumbass just to save gas. Driving dynamics should never be compromised.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #54
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

I didn't say that the Prius is as good to drive, just that the Golf Diesel isn't a drivers car
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #55
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Anybody remember the VW Toureg supercharged hybrid?? I thought it was a fantastic idea for those who don't want to compromise on performance or MPG's.

I guess it didn't sell to well based on the price margin for a VW. Same tech to me as the panamera hybrid.

EDIT: VW still sells it. 380HP, 20/24 MPG for $64k.

Last edited by Uber V8; 04-22-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #56
plasma23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 330i N53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Anybody remember the VW Toureg supercharged hybrid?? I thought it was a fantastic idea for those who don't want to compromise on performance or MPG's.

I guess it didn't sell to well based on the price margin for a VW. Same tech to me as the panamera hybrid.

EDIT: VW still sells it. 380HP, 20/24 MPG for $64k.
For quite some time now (since 2005 I think) Lexus have had powerful hybrid cars. Electric motors coupled with a 3.5 litre V6. Although it isn't as economical as the Prius! Just another 'green' marketing ploy! Powerful car nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #57
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
It's actually more around 10 US MPG. But in any regard, the Golf TDI is an actual driver's car. The Prius, not at all.
No...the TDI will be about 30mpg around town and the Prius will hover around 50mpg in town. I found the TDIs to be quite boring to drive as well...definitelely not what I would call a drivers car. The TDI is slightly more engaging to drive than my CT but it gets considerably worse gas mileage and I have much more faith in Toyota/Lexus reliability.

Last edited by derryck; 04-22-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #58
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I agree that the Ford ST is not an appliance, relative to a Prius that is. But here in the UK, to have a ST as a daily driver isn't exactly practical. Urban traffic, I would imagine the ST giving no better than 30mpg and with fuel prices at around £1.30/litre not to mention the road tax on the ST, it just isn't cost effective and that defeats the whole point of a daily beater. With the Prius on the other hand, you would save few hundred in fuel a year and you pay zero in road tax. It's probability as reliable if not more than the ST, holds it's value better and probably cheaper to maintain.
In the US you can get a Fiesta ST for $3-4k less than a Prius. That money is equivalent to about 80 tanks of gas. I would take that any day vs a Prius where the value is driving the car boring to achieve better mpg. Fiesta ST will put a smile on your face every day, shifting gears and revving the hell out of the pocket rocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #59
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I've kinda wanted a Prius - it would be a perfect daily driver. Of course I would lower it, put a nice set of wheels and try to get it with a manual...
That would just lower the gas mileage and they don't make the Prius in manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #60
plasma23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 330i N53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
In the US you can get a Fiesta ST for $3-4k less than a Prius. That money is equivalent to about 80 tanks of gas. I would take that any day vs a Prius where the value is driving the car boring to achieve better mpg. Fiesta ST will put a smile on your face every day, shifting gears and revving the hell out of the pocket rocket.
Tbh I've never liked Fords. Not sure why. Instead of the ST I'd rather have the Civic Type R. If you don't need the extra seats the S2000 is even better. Much superior than the Ford ST in every way except practicality
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #61
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
The Prius is a great appliance. If you want to think you're doing your part for the environment, I could but won't prove you wrong.

However, when people drive cars like appliances, they have no care for feedback on the road. No feedback = less care for driving, and IMO it can become a safety issue. They are everywhere around Boston, and you worry about the carelessness of these drivers.
I'd rather have a Golf/Jetta TDI any day. The slight mpg difference, even if it is 10+, would be made up by the improved driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #62
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Pretty sure if you drive your TDI in a way that makes driving enjoyable, you will not get anywhere near the advertised MPG.
      04-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #63
plasma23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 330i N53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
The Prius is a great appliance. If you want to think you're doing your part for the environment, I could but won't prove you wrong.

However, when people drive cars like appliances, they have no care for feedback on the road. No feedback = less care for driving, and IMO it can become a safety issue. They are everywhere around Boston, and you worry about the carelessness of these drivers.
I'd rather have a Golf/Jetta TDI any day. The slight mpg difference, even if it is 10+, would be made up by the improved driving dynamics.
Please can you explain this further? The prius is perfectly safe and while I had it as a loaner not once did it feel unsafe? I mean while it doesn't have the same tactile/haptic feedback as a sports car for track driving it certainly has enough tactile feedback for you to understand that you are turning and breaking on public roads. It isn't the Prius' s that are unsafe, it is the driver.

I also own an audi A3 tdi for DD. Around town the difference between that and a Prius is 20mpg, I wouldn't consider that a slight difference as u say. Driving dynamics isn't much different from the Prius either. The TDI also has a lot of body roll, FWD and front heavy. My A3 is still an appliance at the end of the day, just a 'fancy/premium' one.

What I will say is that compared to other brands such as Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota etc Golfs/A3 are more heavy thus giving you a feeling of being more secure, which it probably will be if you are in a crash. That said, the Prius didn't feel like a typical light Toyota, probably cos of all those batteries
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #64
Mpowered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Wagon

I saw a modded prius at LTMW that looked pretty damn cool. Had the liberty walk body kit, was lowered, and a set of nice rims. Some of the new ones don't look half bad.

That said, id rather have a Volt. I think they look pretty good and not using any gas for my daily commute would be a huge plus.

Last edited by Mpowered; 04-23-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #65
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post

As already mentioned a few times...it's 20mpg difference on 87 octane which is about .40-50 cents cheaper a gallon than diesel. I drove a Jetta TDI and it's a turd when there's a 600+hp 300ZX and FBO 335 in my garage and a 20mpg deficit to the CT which actually handles much flatter and more nimble than the TDI does. At least drive them before you start talking out of your ass.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #66
v8888vx6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50i 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Prius is a swear word in my household.
BMW in mine
Appreciate 0