New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Z4 3.0 brakes at a track day

I have a 2010 Z4 3.0 with the stock brakes. I'm replacing the brake fluid with ATE racing fluid and I'm installing Cool
Carbon ST plus front pads. I plan on running a track day at Sebring. I'm concerned the stock brakes won't hold up very well after a few laps braking on Sebring's long straights. Any one have experience doing a track day with the 3.0 stock brakes??
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I don't have experience with the Z4 3.0, but I have done track days in both an E46 330i and a Z4 35i. The 330i got a set of Brembo carbon ceramic pads and the Z4 was on OEM pads and both had fresh fluid (just off-the-shelf Valvoline DOT 3&4; it gives me a firmer pedal than the ATE Super Blue I used to use). Neither one ever suffered more than the very slightest fade at the end of the hardest braking zone at California Speedway. I think if you make sure to flush and bleed your brakes so you have the maximum boiling point you'll have the same experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I don't have experience with the Z4 3.0, but I have done track days in both an E46 330i and a Z4 35i. The 330i got a set of Brembo carbon ceramic pads and the Z4 was on OEM pads and both had fresh fluid (just off-the-shelf Valvoline DOT 3&4; it gives me a firmer pedal than the ATE Super Blue I used to use). Neither one ever suffered more than the very slightest fade at the end of the hardest braking zone at California Speedway. I think if you make sure to flush and bleed your brakes so you have the maximum boiling point you'll have the same experience.
Interesting comment re brake pedal firmness. I used my last can of ATE super blue when putting in new fluid. I didn't notice any change in pedal feel. Living in Florida humidity I"ll probably have to bleed brakes again before I go to track even though fluid will only have a few hundred miles of street autocross use. I bought a brake fuid moisture tester and I want to see how much moisture fluid picked up sitting in non ac garage. Anyone use one of these testers? Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Yeah I didn't notice the difference initially either. I went from old fluid to ATE Super Blue and used that for years with annual flushes without issue. I used a pressure bleeder every time. Then I couldn't get the Super Blue anymore and figured I might as well just use what I can get and then if I didn't like it I could order something better later. Once I flushed out the Blue and got the Valvoline in it the pedal was noticeably firmer. I've read a few other comments about others having the same results.

I've considered going to a different high end brake fluid like Motul 600, but the total lack of fluid boiling issues I've had would make it a waste.
Appreciate 0