New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
List of Issues Within the First 30 Days

OK - How about some really useful stuff. I have had my Z4 30i for 24 hours now and I have had several little annoying issues. I am wondering what specific issues others are / have had in the tiheir first week to 10 days of ownership and what they or their dealers have done about them. Here is my little list:

- 6 speed auto - very harsh shift from second to third (in normal mode) then after turning the engine off and back on it goes away. Next start it may or may not be back ... Anyone else had anythng like this ?? Any action to correct ?? Is this controlled by the computer ???

Programjming the touch buttons_ I have programmed the #1 button to close the display - after a few hours the programming is LOST - I do it again and it gets lost again.... Anyone else see this ??

- activer headlights - the left / right motion appears to respond very slowly.... the lights come back to center several seconds after the car is moving in a straight line .. anyone else seen this ??

I have a few other little items but will go into detail on those at a later time.....

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

I have a 30i also.

No noticable issues with 6 speed auto in 'normal' or 'sport' mode.

Have programmed 3x shortcut buttons and they have not lost their settings (at least not so far).

Don't have adaptive headlights so can't comment on reactive speed.

Actually, I have to say that so far, everything seems fine with my car. Had a few squeaks and funny noises myself the first few days but they have since gone and, so far, not returned. Think they may have been down to dirty and/or wet rubber seals.

I would perhaps wait a couple of weeks just to see if any other issues crop up so that you can then get them all resolved in one go. Beats having to take the car to the dealer several times.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
bobbydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The automatic transmission will adapt to the driving style of the driver...So if you floor it sometimes and gentle other times, you're just confusing the poor thing!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydog View Post
The automatic transmission will adapt to the driving style of the driver...So if you floor it sometimes and gentle other times, you're just confusing the poor thing!
I stand to be corrected but I don't believe the auto transmission is able to learn. It is adaptive in the sense that if you push the accelerator hard it will hold the gear for longer and if you are very light on the accelerator it will effectively short shift etc but don't believe it actually learns the style of the driver.

The potential for confusion would always be there if this were the case, even with the best intentions; what happens when my partner (who has a different driving style to me) gets in and drives.

Perhaps someone else who knows more than me can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post

I would perhaps wait a couple of weeks just to see if any other issues crop up so that you can then get them all resolved in one go. Beats having to take the car to the dealer several times.
Even if you wait for a few more faults to show before taking the car in, please let your dealer know, on record, NOW . . . You have no idea yet how serious a problem you have, if any. It may be that you ultimately want to reject the car and your right to do so (in the UK at least) evapourates the longer you keep it. I personally wouldn't wait at all since rejecting the car is contingent on giving the seller opportunities to rectify. If you show up with a gearbox fault 3 weeks after it first appeared, you might fall prey to the excuse "You made it worse by continuing to use it."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

My 35i is now 33 days old and "zero" issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well.... after a bit more than 24 hours the HARSH shifting has appeared to GO AWAY... just as mysteriously as it came... Maybe it does learn but I doubt it learns that ..

Anyway another of the little nuances is that the mirrors ocassionally do NOT come back to their set point after they have been folded in and left for several hours. Sometimes they do and sometimmes they do not. When they do not they are both aimed down at the ground. This is regardless of the position of the mirror selection switch and in DRIVE not REVERSE where they re-aim for parking.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
donelpgh
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
I stand to be corrected but I don't believe the auto transmission is able to learn. It is adaptive in the sense that if you push the accelerator hard it will hold the gear for longer and if you are very light on the accelerator it will effectively short shift etc but don't believe it actually learns the style of the driver.

The potential for confusion would always be there if this were the case, even with the best intentions; what happens when my partner (who has a different driving style to me) gets in and drives.

Perhaps someone else who knows more than me can confirm.
The car with Adaptive AT does learn the driving style of the owner over time and learns to anticipate what you want to do. A friend who is a BMW Master Tech told me they clear the tranny's memory whenever they put a car through CPO so that the car starts fresh with its new owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So maybe that's why I jhad the HARSH shifting on the initial ride home (30 miles) on the forst day...... So far it has not happened again....

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Just a little something i have noted and the dealer didn't know the answer, whenever i start the car the fan is always on, nothing else is on only the fan. I take the key out put it back in start the car and the fan is back on, damn annoying

the other thing is on the idrive, there is no pause or repeat function available or even stop for the songs .. how strange

There is a night mode for the nav system, but it doesnt come automatically, i had to assign it a shortcut button on the front radio.

Same thing for zoom mode for movies it doesn't remember the setting, once again shortcut button.. and the volume on movies is terribly low same thing for the phone you turn it up while talking then hang up and back to music blasting at full volume

the car needs to go back to the dealer as the voice recognition for the nav system doesn't work, works everywhere else but not for the address, i was told i need to have the 2010 software. Interesting enough i have an option to use satellite images on the nav but they don't appear to work, we looked at a different Z4 (earlier build) and it did not have that option.

Apart from that, had my Z4 30i for 2 weeks now, i should have got the white

Last edited by Drk280; 12-10-2009 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Stick Shift
Private
Rep
Drives: too fast

My 35i is 2 weeks old. The satellite radio only works about half the time. The rest of the time it just says "acquiring...". Just made a service appointment to take it in next week. It's probably a problem with the antenna.
      12-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
Just a little something i have noted and the dealer didn't know the answer, whenever i start the car the fan is always on, nothing else is on only the fan. I take the key out put it back in start the car and the fan is back on, damn annoying

the other thing is on the idrive, there is no pause or repeat function available or even stop for the songs .. how strange

There is a night mode for the nav system, but it doesnt come automatically, i had to assign it a shortcut button on the front radio.

Same thing for zoom mode for movies it doesn't remember the setting, once again shortcut button.. and the volume on movies is terribly low same thing for the phone you turn it up while talking then hang up and back to music blasting at full volume

the car needs to go back to the dealer as the voice recognition for the nav system doesn't work, works everywhere else but not for the address, i was told i need to have the 2010 software. Interesting enough i have an option to use satellite images on the nav but they don't appear to work, we looked at a different Z4 (earlier build) and it did not have that option.

Apart from that, had my Z4 30 for 2 weeks now, i should have got the white
Engine fan or heater fan?

There should be a repeat option for songs, IIRC. Press the Options button while one's playing.

The phone volume should adjust separately from stereo volume. Use the steering wheel volume buttons while on a call.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I have the same thing with the fan, too. Everytime I turn on the car, I have the fan on the lowest setting. I turn it off, but the next time that I start the car, it is on again. I could find nothing in the manual to change this setting. Any ideas?
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

what fan? you guys don't leave the climate control on AUTO?

the little fan sound you guys hear when you insert the key is the vents opening up.
      12-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
whenever i start the car the fan is always on, nothing else is on only the fan.
vents opening up

the other thing is on the idrive, there is no pause or repeat function available or even stop for the songs
pause/mute is the power button; the repeat function is in iDrive

try with the headlight settings on AUTO and in iDrive set the headlight sensitive to max

Same thing for zoom mode for movies it doesn't remember the setting, once again shortcut button..
zoom would never be a default, so it will go back to normal aspect

and the volume on movies is terribly low same thing for the phone you turn it up while talking then hang up and back to music blasting at full volume
each function has its own volume, tweak each thing separately
answers in bold; if i misunderstood the questions simply restate
      12-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
what fan? you guys don't leave the climate control on AUTO?

the little fan sound you guys hear when you insert the key is the vents opening up.
I shut everything down, but it isn't only hearing a fan. The green light that shows the speed of the fan always comes up with one green light meaning that it is on the lowest setting. I shut it off, but the next time that I re-start my car, it is on again.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the fan coming up is for positive ventilation. Most american cars do the same thing to assure that there is no chance for exhaust (CO2) to stay in the car. My 2007 335i cab did the same thing.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I shut everything down, but it isn't only hearing a fan. The green light that shows the speed of the fan always comes up with one green light meaning that it is on the lowest setting. I shut it off, but the next time that I re-start my car, it is on again.
oh... that i haven't encountered, i pushed AUTO when i got the car and never touched it again.
      12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
Even if you wait for a few more faults to show before taking the car in, please let your dealer know, on record, NOW . . . You have no idea yet how serious a problem you have, if any. It may be that you ultimately want to reject the car and your right to do so (in the UK at least) evapourates the longer you keep it. I personally wouldn't wait at all since rejecting the car is contingent on giving the seller opportunities to rectify. If you show up with a gearbox fault 3 weeks after it first appeared, you might fall prey to the excuse "You made it worse by continuing to use it."
Good points and point taken. I should have perhaps clarified that the IOP could have waited a couple of weeks *if* the issues are minor.

But agree that a quick email or similar to the dealer so that there is something in writing is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelpgh View Post
The car with Adaptive AT does learn the driving style of the owner over time and learns to anticipate what you want to do. A friend who is a BMW Master Tech told me they clear the tranny's memory whenever they put a car through CPO so that the car starts fresh with its new owner.
I stand corrected.

I was told from a friend that worked in BMW until not too long ago, that the auto transmission does not learn (as it can't see and therefore anticipate) the driver, which admittedly makes sense to me.

But then again, he's the same guy that told me I'm deaf and need to go to the opticians!!

Just found this thread if anyone is interested. Doesn't specifically relate to the Z4 and may not relate at all to 35i's with DCT but interesting reading all the same:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=411543

If anyone tried the rpocedure perhaps they can post back with their results.

Last edited by riccis; 12-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Added topic related thread.
Appreciate 0