New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
M-Fanatically
G82 M4 - Dravit
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 - Dravit

Intro and couple of Z4 queries

Hi folks,

I've just taken delivery of a shiny black 2012 Z4 35i M-Sport DCT (1 owner 16k miles).... and it's quick! I'm not new to BMW's and have had a mix of 3's and 5's... most recently an F10 535D M and E93 335i M Cabrio... for the type of driving (both spirited and motorway daily use) I find BM's are brilliant machines.

Having said that I do have a couple of questions I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with?

The first relates to the BMW Online function in iDrive. My Z4 has the Professional Nav system and I've just done the USB software update to latest software, re-paired my iPhone 5 and ensure Data Transfer is selected within iDrive. I have good 3G signal on my phone and can receive/send emails and browse the web, however, when I select BMW Online I am presented with the following message: "Activate data services for Bluetooth device or contact Service". I've noticed that BMW Teleservices are also not available and I'm stumped by this message as have never seen this before in any of my previous BM's. Any ideas what the issue might be? As far as I'm aware my car is still within the 3 year BMW Online subscription BMW UK issue with all new Pro Nav equipped cars.

Also, there were a few rattles from the roll hoops, roof, rear deck and creaking from the window rubbing on seals. I've gone over the whole car with both Gummi Flege to rejuvenate the rubber seals and have also identified certain areas that needed some felt sound reduction tape which have both improved the situation, however, there is still a really annoying rattle coming from the rear section of the roof... when I had my E93 cabrio BMW did a semi-reasonable job of sorting the rattles out but I'm wondering if there is a specific known fault before I book it in to be sorted out.

Any/all thoughts appreciated - particularly on the BMW Online issue.

Thanks
James
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
M-Fanatically
G82 M4 - Dravit
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry - should also have mentioned that I already have data Hotspot switched on on my iPhone 5 and when I select "Update Services" in iDrive the hotspot switches on on my phone (blue bar at top of phone screen), however, when I select BMW Online the hotspot on my phone doesn't activate...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Welcome! In my F30 (in the US) BMW online is a separate plan that needs to be activated for the online search etc to work. I recommend you call BMW assist uk and they can help you sort it out.

As for the roof, I had similar noises and had to take it to the dealer to fix. I personally wouldn't mess with the roof on a car that's in warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
M-Fanatically
G82 M4 - Dravit
United Kingdom
Rep

And here's some of the options (iDrive/connectivity) I have have on the vehicle.

S609A Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW Assist
S615A Expanded BMW Online Information
S616A BMW Online
S620A Voice control
S633A Preparation, mobile phone, Business
S654A DAB-Tuner Radio Bavaria C III
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S694A Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S698A Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TeleServices
S6ABA Control for Teleservices
S6FLA USB/Audio interface
S6NFA Music interface for Smartphone
S6VCA Control for Combox
P7HPA Connectivity Package II
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
M-Fanatically
G82 M4 - Dravit
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Welcome! In my F30 (in the US) BMW online is a separate plan that needs to be activated for the online search etc to work. I recommend you call BMW assist uk and they can help you sort it out.

As for the roof, I had similar noises and had to take it to the dealer to fix. I personally wouldn't mess with the roof on a car that's in warranty
Thanks for your comments - I'll check with BMW but AFAIK all UK BMW's that have Professional Navigation come with a 36 Month BMW Online subscription. I think mine should still be in subscription but will check.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya1 View Post
Thanks for your comments - I'll check with BMW but AFAIK all UK BMW's that have Professional Navigation come with a 36 Month BMW Online subscription. I think mine should still be in subscription but will check.
Here in the US when a new car is delivered there is a setup process where as username and password is associated with the car by the sales person. Then a call has to be made with the SOS button to complete the setup.

It is possible your car's account hasn't been transferred over to you yet, or there could be a setting that needs to be fixed by BMW UK

I've had my share of phone calls with BMW NA when the BMW My Remote USA smartphone app stopped working and in all cases it was an issue on their servers

Hope you get it resolved. They are nice features to have
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
M-Fanatically
G82 M4 - Dravit
United Kingdom
Rep

All sorted

All sorted now - it appears my BMW Online account needed activating before I could log in in my car. Once logged in to iDrive with my Online credentials the Online, TeleServices and Apps function works fine over mobile data.
Appreciate 0