New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-04-2024, 06:47 PM   #1
zfirstz4me
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Hella Headlights... Hella problems?

Hope this got your attention! Got what turned out to be a "dreaded" headlight bulb out warning on the dash. All good, I'll just replace the bulb right? Well, I determined that my headlights were (maybe not…) aftermarket. Hella brand, part number 1ZS 009 934-06/ AE. Google seems to think that this part number matches a 5 series xenon headlight. (right side) (edit, maybe these are OEM?)

First question... is the bulb even replaceable? It appears to be bolted on.

Second question, doesn't look like they are manufactured anymore... Could be wrong.

Clarification, it appears to have a resistor with white angel eyes, so I still believe there is a modification at hand. Where I would have expected the bulbs to go, and where the wiring goes to appears to be bolted on.

I need to replace the bulb, clear the alert, and would love to avoid spending 1k.

Any assistance would be appreciated as the search feature seems to be void of results. Google doesn't seem to be helping either.

Photo for the attention... I am planning on swapping the gray grilles (upper and lower) for solid black. Wheels will be swapped for something with proper offset and size. Otherwise, I love her. She's wonderful. Had her for about a year.

Cheers

View post on imgur.com

(Edited, photo not showing)
(Edited again, further clarification)

Last edited by zfirstz4me; 02-05-2024 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Trying to add photos
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:18 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

At first glance these Hella lights should be oem replacement part.... and function just like original lamps... of course if someone hasnt modded them...

To replace xenon lamp you need D1S type bulbs... if you are talking about headlight bulb not the sidelight angel eye bulb....

i went with these cool blue next gen bulbs from OSRAM:
https://www.osram.com/ecat/XENARC%20...GPS01_3570162/

they seem to be the newest and best option from OSRAM..

If you dont like white light that much then there are these:
https://www.osram.com/ecat/XENARC%20...GPS01_3797294/

Those Night breaker laser next gen bulbs are also great... they were released a bit before those cool blue bulbs...
These have a tiny bit more warmer colour temperature.. bit yellower light...
Light output should be similar...

yellower light is a bit better in wet and rainy conditions... so thats one reason to go with night breaker lasers next gen.... but both should be great...

I installed new xenon bulbs in december and before that i researched through many bulb tests on the internet... youtube, forums, blogs... and these two are basically the best ones to get...

best comparison chart i found... they make youtube videos aswell...
https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-oe/chart/

i paid about 134 eur for the new set of bulbs...

To replace the bulb you must turn front wheels out...theres a small hatch in the wheel well.. you have to turn two plastic skrews to release it... a coin fits well for that job... also open the bonnet/hood... and then you can have access from both sides...use one hand from the wheelwell and second hand through the engine bay to remove plastic cover an replace the bulb...
turning wheels out gives you more room than turning wheels in.. So when replacing left bulb turn wheels all the way to the left... you could jack the car up and remove the wheel, but its not necessary...

im sure xenon bulb part isnt modded... ok if someone didnt do a rare LED conversion on it.. but they generally suck. There are LED D1S bulbs out there but these require modding a bit i think... and on tests they arent that good and then theres the legality problem aswell...

Angel eyes are very popular to mod... either it has custom led rings installed or some h8 led bulb kit on it...

You havent provided any pictures so dont really know whats up...

Also no need to delete error codes or reset anything... change the bulb and error goes away...

Adding service manual page for you on how to change the bulb..
Also adding a manual page for the side light bulbs...

Some led angel eyes bulbs have extra box and wires at the back but the bulb part still goes as it should in the socket... though turning the bulb to release it may be hard... it wont turn easily... no room to get a good angle on it... so may take some fiddling...

for angel eyes i used these osram LED bulbs...total oem fit... cost me 43 eur for a set...
https://www.osram.com/ecat/LEDriving...7/ZMP_4059212/

Osram does make a more powerful LED option aswell... but they look like other aftermarket kits with extra wiring and a box at the back... and those may or may not fit... Honestly you dont really need more powerful bulbs... and these are direct original halogen replacement with no extra bullshit... from high quallity manufacturer OSRAM, not some unknown kit from China Aliexpress that may die in a few months...

Last edited by KennyP; 02-05-2024 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:09 AM   #3
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Hella was the OE manufacturer for the E89 headlight.

They are available new.

A picture or two would help trying to trouble shoot your issues.

Kenny has covered most of it.

I use the Osram night breakers..but I hardly ever drive in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:51 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

With night breaker laser bulbs and also cool blue intense bulbs you have to make sure you get next gen labeled product...
Osram still has older night breaker lasers on their website...
Basically next gen bulbs got a nice bump in light output... but cool blue bulbs got especially better... on the older gen night breaker laser was a clear winner in light output and cool blue was more of an esthetic choice with less output... with next gen products both bulbs got better but cool blue got extra bump in light output and is now basically on the same level with next gen night breakers... So now if you want to go colder colour temperature you can without sacrificing on light output...

Moral of the story... make sure you arent buying older gen bulbs...
      02-05-2024, 07:22 AM   #5
zfirstz4me
Rep

Thanks all for your responses. Will read through them and take another look. Was able to add a link with photos.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:32 AM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

looks like a led bulb that has wires that go into a box and that box has a wire coming out with the socket where you plug bmw harness plug into...
on original bulb this harness plug goes straight onto the back of the bulb...
the bulb still goes into a oem socket and turns to lock...
those screws you saw were just fixing the socket in place...

im sure you should be able to turn the bulb and release it... it just has a huge heatsink at the back of the bulb...

I linked above osram led bulbs you can replace them with... no point in going with unknown china kits if osram makes a reasonably priced option... packaging also had BMW-s all over it... like its specifically made for angel eyes...

i can add some pictures of the angel eyes if you want... but there is one on the e89 longterm report thread already...

This video may also help you.. i think this guy who made this video sometimes posts on this forum too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1wCMN-XwY

Last edited by KennyP; 02-05-2024 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 07:45 AM   #7
zfirstz4me
Rep

Kenny, thanks. Reassuring. The heatsink is pretty slick, I’ll try and get a good grip on it and turn it later tonight. If I can get it out then perhaps all is well. Not much room for a hand in there!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:47 PM   #8
zfirstz4me
Rep

Thanks to all the support from you guys, I learned some new stuff over the last couple days. Confirming that headlights are factory, it has a white LED angel eyes kit, easily replaceable and all is well. Closing thread.
Appreciate 0