New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Door mirror glass

Has anyone replaced the mirror glass? The heater is not working on my passenger side, getting code [9CC6: Mirror heater passenger side defective].

Any recommendation for a source? Besides the obvious....
Aliexpress seems suspiciously inexpensive

Not particularly concerned about it, just hate codes!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:24 PM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

You could try and take the mirror glass off and check the plug connection it has at the back and maybe clean it. Moisture does get there and you can find some green copper oxide corrosion there. I used contact cleaner to clean them up.

I had many issues with side mirrors last year...

In spring:
First passenger mirror motor died on one axis. Every time i started the car it would go nuts and tilt itself up... Replaced that..
Month or so later same thing happened on the drivers side... again replaced the mirror motor...

Did not have any issues during summer. Enjoyed the car.

Autumn comes around... and passenger mirror self dimming fails and stays always brown... doesnt clear up... Got a new oem bmw mirror glass to replace it... fortunately hubauer-shop.de had a nice -34% discount on them so the new original one cost similar to used options on ebay... i think i payed 270 eur for the glass...

Original mirror glass without dimming was something bit over the hundred eur... 125 i think or thereabout. That is with heating...
Edit: Checked their site... they have -34% now on non-dimming mirrors aswell.. selling them for 89eur a piece...

And recently i noticed that my driverside mirror dimming has also started to go bad... doesnt totally clear up and leaves a small tint on the mirror. Does still dim as its meant to... So will have to replace that at some point aswell.

I could have deleted the dimming option and just put in regular glass to save money but i would have always known that its been deleted and it is useful sometimes aswell..

Fun fact: e89 z4 and i8 use the same mirror glass... also 2015 M6 GT3 racecar uses the same mirrorglass partnumber...

Last edited by KennyP; 01-10-2024 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:45 AM   #3
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
You could try and take the mirror glass off and check the plug connection it has at the back and maybe clean it. Moisture does get there and you can find some green copper oxide corrosion there. I used contact cleaner to clean them up.
Thanks Kenny, is it easy enough to remove the glass?
I have inspection soon, the heater is irrelevant but broken glass would be

I'll try to remove it after that
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 01:23 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I had inspection done last week.

you basically have to tilt mirror upwards so you have room at the bottom of the glass... there are 2 wire ends visible... and you have to push them inwards to un hook them... When you do that mirror unlocks and just comes off..

ill add a service manual page for you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 51 16 026 Replacing mirror glass.pdf (333.7 KB, 33 views)
      01-21-2024, 12:02 AM   #5
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep

So took off the glass, a bit fiddly with big hands and poor eyesight and found that one connection was off. Tested the heater resistance at 10ohms, replaced it and all is well. And I was just about to order a new one
Thanks Kenny
Appreciate 2
KennyP146.50
B21153.00