New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #45
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Good info. Don't smoke often but will when the occasion calls for it...one which might hopefully be coming up...anyone in Chicagoland know what's up with Cubans? Feyd?
You know what, I actually have only smoked a few cigars since I've even been here (9 months).. and they were ones that I've already had.

I'm certain they are "available", but I haven't really had the opportunity to get to know any shop owners around here yet.

I'd definitely want to know this info too..

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #46
Feyd
Major
Rep

I do think it's safe to assume that you'll be able to get them just about anywhere as long as the owner of the shop feels comfortable with you... What's typically worked for me is just going in and stroking the shop owners "ego" a time or two and asking their opinions on what is good/not good, etc.

Maybe if the timing is right say something along the lines of... "Wish I was still in Mexico, man those Cubans were good." "In your opinion what smokes the most like Cubans?" Maybe he'll get cocky and offer you something from under the counter.. LOL.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #47
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Absolutely wrong!! When you look at cuban cigars in a box, they are always exactly the same size. None of the cigars should be shorter or longer then the others, and there is never any stray leaves hanging out. They are always pristine looking. The wrappers are always very smooth, i.e. no veins or stems bulging. And when you smell them, it should smell like manure and NOT like the cedar box. The bands are always perfectly aligned on every cigar. And finally, there should be no discoloration on any of the cigars.
So why are Cubans better cigars than any other cigar? Just curious

Like I said, I havent really delat much with cubans, but Ive been smoking longer than 5 years.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #48
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 e90

I enjoy a good smoke, too (did some of you already figure that out? Lol.). I've been smoking them for the past 15 years, and have a lot of Cuban experience. There are some amazing copies out there right now. There have already been several ways to spot them listed, but to get a little more detailed...

1. All Cuban boxes will have a factory code stamped on the bottom.

2. All Cuban boxes will have a hologram sticker on top that reads "Habanos".

3. All Cuban boxes will have a sticker that is a "certificate of origin" wrapped around the opening end of the box (it actually has to be put on a very specific way).

4. The easiest way to spot a fake single stick is the cap. The trademark for Cuban cigars is a triple cap. Also, the filler will be folded in an accordian shape (you can view this from the foot, or open end). Most counterfeits will not take the time to construct this way.
      06-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #49
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

Partags Series D no. 4, Monte Cristo Edmundo and #2 FTMFW!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #50
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
So why are Cubans better cigars than any other cigar? Just curious

Like I said, I havent really delat much with cubans, but Ive been smoking longer than 5 years.
The soil is so different then anywhere else, and that gives the cigars their rich flavor that cannot be replicated
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #51
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The soil is so different then anywhere else, and that gives the cigars their rich flavor that cannot be replicated
While this is true, it's not widely known that much of the tobacco used for Cubas finest comes from Mexico. Cuba's tobacco production isn't enough to keep up with the worlds' demand for cigars.

To an inexperienced cigar smoker, the difference between a Cuban and any other premium cigar would probably not be detectable. Just like a good bourbon, there are subtle differences that can only be detected by trying them over and over.
      06-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #52
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIGARGUY View Post
I enjoy a good smoke, too (did some of you already figure that out? Lol.). I've been smoking them for the past 15 years, and have a lot of Cuban experience. There are some amazing copies out there right now. There have already been several ways to spot them listed, but to get a little more detailed...

1. All Cuban boxes will have a factory code stamped on the bottom.

2. All Cuban boxes will have a hologram sticker on top that reads "Habanos".

3. All Cuban boxes will have a sticker that is a "certificate of origin" wrapped around the opening end of the box (it actually has to be put on a very specific way).

4. The easiest way to spot a fake single stick is the cap. The trademark for Cuban cigars is a triple cap. Also, the filler will be folded in an accordian shape (you can view this from the foot, or open end). Most counterfeits will not take the time to construct this way.
+1 all of this as well. Man, I was going to post up a sort of pictorial tutorial regarding all this when my next shipment arrives, but between you and ferrarri335i, you're covering all the bases. A quick note on some of your comments:

1. The stamps ("Habanos s.a.", "HECHO EN CUBA", "Totalmente a mano") are actually burned into the bottom of the boxes. You should be able to physically feel them.

The factory stamp (NIVEL ACUSO for some, despite the fact that NIVEL ACUSO is outdated, many smokers will still call it that) should be done in ink.

2. The sticker should be placed diagonally across the top right for dress boxes and the lower left for cabs.

3. I think you're referring to the tax/warranty seal. This sticker is placed on the left side of the box vertically so that it wraps from the top of the box to the bottom. The first fold on the top edge of the box should bisect the shield on the sticker.

4. Nothing to add here.

Note there may also be more seals/or stickers on the box depending on the distributor and the boxes destination country.

Last edited by radix; 06-18-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #53
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
3. I think you're referring to the tax/warranty seal. This sticker is placed on the left side of the box vertically so that it wraps from the top of the box to the bottom. The first fold on the top edge of the box should bisect the shield on the sticker.
Exactly. I'm in the middle of pushing through the work day to try to get out a little early, so I didn't take the time to go into as much detail, but you are spot on.
      06-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #54
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
+1 all of this as well. Man, I was going to post up a sort of pictorial tutorial regarding all this when my next shipment arrives, but between you and ferrarri335i, you're covering all the bases.
A pictorial would be great for those who aren't well versed in the hobby. Oh, and my shipment came in yesterday.
      06-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #55
radix
No_Country
Rep

I'm contemplating purchasing an heirloom quality lighter for home use, to supplement my rather unremarkable, yet very reliable Colibri. I generally have a thing for black and silver accessories, so I've narrowed it down to two:

The S.T. Dupont Ligne 2:

and the Dunhill Palladium Rollagas:

I have experience with both brands of lighters, and I'm not sure the 'ping' of the Dupont, in conjunction with size and shape differences, is worth the price difference, any comments?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #56
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

tag for later
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #57
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
tag for later
Not eti.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #58
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
any comments?
Second pic won't show...look at the host url "https"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #59
Feyd
Major
Rep

Those are nice lighters.... but I don't know about paying that much for a lighter I'd only use 10 times a year. Don't get me wrong, I've got x,xxx watches I wear only 2-3 times a year, so I obviously have no issues spending money on stuff like this.

Personally, I've got a Porsche Design lighter that is unique enough no one else I know has one and it is modern enough for my tastes. It was expensive when I bought it ~200.00, but that is the limit I think I'd go on a lighter.

Maybe I could justify it if I actually smoked daily... but I don't....

Either choice is obviously a nice one and I'm sure would fit the bill as an heirloom piece quite nicely.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #60
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

do cigars deliver nicotin?

smoked a romeo last week, petty nice.
dont like the huge cigars, im cool with the short ones.
(like this http://www.joyntventure.com.au/img/c...liet_cigar.jpg)
      06-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #61
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
do cigars deliver nicotin?
Yes.
      06-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #62
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've never understood spending money on a lighter. You always lose them, and when you don't lose them it is because you are always thinking about where it is. So it is one more thing to worry about when you should actually be relaxing. Whether it is a $15 torch lighter or a $500 dupont, they both get the job done. It shouldn't be about the lighter, rather it should be about the cigar.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #63
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've never understood spending money on a lighter. You always lose them, and when you don't lose them it is because you are always thinking about where it is. So it is one more thing to worry about when you should actually be relaxing. Whether it is a $15 torch lighter or a $500 dupont, they both get the job done. It shouldn't be about the lighter, rather it should be about the cigar.
You're right of course, it is always about the cigar, regardless of what lighter is used. I won't attempt to argue with that. As Feyd pointed out however, people still purchase Rolexes when an entry level quartz Timex would actually keep more precise time. In this case the lighter would be reserved for home use and perhaps black tie events where smoking is likely to occur, that way I really don't have to worry about losing it.

Last edited by radix; 06-23-2010 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #64
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

only cigar i buy is a vanilla dutch for a $1 found at your local gas station
      06-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #65
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're right of course, it is always about the cigar, regardless of what lighter is used. I won't attempt to argue with that. As Feyd pointed out however, people still purchase Rolexes when an entry level quartz Timex would actually keep more precise time. In this case the lighter would be reserved for home use and perhaps black tie events where smoking is likely to occur, that way I really don't have to worry about losing it.
I think watches are different. They are a fashion statement/expression of who you are. I don't think a lighter is the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #66
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I've never spent more than $20 on a lighter. I damage them and lose them as much as I smoke. As long as it's butane, I don't really care what lights my cigar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
only cigar i buy is a vanilla dutch for a $1 found at your local gas station
That's not a cigar.