New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #45
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I think it should be illegal because it's screwing over taxi drivers so much. Do any of you have any idea that it costs $500,000 and up to own a taxi medallion? The poor immigrants spend most of their working lives saving up that money and now that they have done it, some faggots from silicone valley have invented this app to completely screw them over. I think this app should be federally banned.
If the immigrants would actually provide vehicles that aren't PIECES OF SHIT with drivers that were FRIENDLY and SPOKE ENGLISH, the boys and girls from Uber would have never found a whole in the market son.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. As opposed to bitching and complaining, the taxis should take notice and step up their shit.

Like I said: there used to be no other choice. You needed a taxi, you were going to sit in a garbage Crown Vic with 500,000 miles on it that smelled like BO on torn up seats. NO LONGER!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Huh, interesting. This is the video I was referring to -

He claims it's "brand new in San Antonio" and it's been out for about 2 weeks now (he posted his video April 14, 2014).
An easy way to tell if Uber is not approved yet, is when you pull up the map that you only see UberX cars. If you don't see SUVs or Black Cars, changes are, they are risking it. I was in San Antonio and was tempted to get an Uber, but decided on a taxi because I don't do UberX. I spoke to the taxi drivers about it and he's been having a great time BUSTING UberX cars. He downloaded the app himself and has it up and running so when he pulls up next to one, he'll call the cops on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #47
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I think it should be illegal because it's screwing over taxi drivers so much. Do any of you have any idea that it costs $500,000 and up to own a taxi medallion? The poor immigrants spend most of their working lives saving up that money and now that they have done it, some faggots from silicone valley have invented this app to completely screw them over. I think this app should be federally banned.
I think poor cab service, shitty cabs, and cabbies talking on their phones the whole time should be federally banned.

Nobody is forcing them to be a cab driver so if something like Uber puts them out of business, they're free to try another career.

I hope Uber does put traditional cabs out of business. Uber provides a much better experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #48
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I did it once. It's pretty lame in the LI area. They pay you by initial pick up, then $x per mile over 7mph and $x per minute under that. I did a maybe 30min trip and got $27 from that after they took out their 30%. The potential to make decent money is there, but realistically it isn't.
      07-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #49
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Just used it 5 minutes ago. As always, a great driver. It was a Nissan Pathfinder.

The driver told me that now Uber provides insurance for UberX drivers, so they have good coverage for the passengers and the regular insurance does not have to be used.
      07-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #50
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75 View Post
Just used it 5 minutes ago. As always, a great driver. It was a Nissan Pathfinder.

The driver told me that now Uber provides insurance for UberX drivers, so they have good coverage for the passengers and the regular insurance does not have to be used.
Interesting. Which city was this?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #51
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75 View Post

Yea, uber covers their drivers. But, wouldn't that driver's personal insurance most likely drop them after finding out that they were using their car for commercial purposes? I don't really know much about insurance, other than I have to pay it, so I could be completely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #52
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

This.

Taxi drivers do adapt though. You can get a regular cab through Uber, and there's also Flywheel that most taxi cabs support nowadays.
Now, if they could get off that headset and stop chattin with someone in a foreign language for the length of the entire ride, that would be great.

Not sure how it is in the rest of the USA, but in the Bay most Taxi cabs are Prius and Escape. I don't remember the last time I was picked up in a Crown Vic, but then again, I only use taxi as a last resort when Uber and Lyft do prime time/surge pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
If the immigrants would actually provide vehicles that aren't PIECES OF SHIT with drivers that were FRIENDLY and SPOKE ENGLISH, the boys and girls from Uber would have never found a whole in the market son.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. As opposed to bitching and complaining, the taxis should take notice and step up their shit.

Like I said: there used to be no other choice. You needed a taxi, you were going to sit in a garbage Crown Vic with 500,000 miles on it that smelled like BO on torn up seats. NO LONGER!
Appreciate 0