New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I alternate week to week. My typical approach is to go balls out on EVERY big lift. Some days I will enter the gym with a plan, but by the time I've run through my squat or dead lift sets (..again, I do a lot of volume/weight), I'm toast! For shoulders I don't really lift super heavy because the body doesn't support the weight like it does on a bench/squat/dead lift.
same here, i dont hold anything back on the compound. sometimes i throw in some drop set to get crazy burn
      07-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
By volume, you mean cut down the 12-10-8-6 reps for each exercise? So 4x6 should be fine? Or 5x5?

And reason for the traps is my traps are seriously lagging behind (or my shoulders are just growing too fast). Looks kinda unproportional. I don't mind broader looking shoulders, but my traps are nearly nonexistent lol.

It depends on what you want to do for that day. I'd recommend low volume heavy sets. For example, some days I'll squat 225 lbs. for reps. Other days I might do sets of 3 @ 375 lbs. (..and only drop down to 225 lbs. after I've exhausted myself to the point where I can only rep 375 lbs. once). Spend more time in lower rep - 2 to 4 reps - range with heavier weight. Don't worry about sets per se. If you get through 4 sets of low rep/heavy weight and still feel like you have plenty of gas, keep on going.

If your traps are lacking, overhead press more.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My problem is I don't have the spare time. Yeah, I hear this all the time. But I work all day, get home and start second shift with 3 little ones. What do you think about those tony horton 10 minute trainers? Garbage? Any advise for someone with little spare time?

If you don't have spare time...........squat! It probably sounds like redundant advice, but it's exactly what I do when I'm pressed for time. In fact, I'll take it a step further............front squat. If you have the flexibility and know the technique, it is a blaster of an exercise. If time is of the essence for you, spend a couple hundred dollars and invest in a squat rack, an Olympic barbell and some plates for your garage; this can be found fairly cheap on Craigslist. You can absolutely kill yourself in 20 minutes - hell, 10 minutes - if you're squatting with intensity.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-17-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Yea there is a subforum for this.

Anyway, as a continuation on my chest question in the other thread, my back days are rough! Pullups, body weight rows on the smith machine bar, one arm dumbell rows, etc... I don't do chin-ups (underhand), I just do sets of overhand pullups.

So basically, the first week you do the above percentages, then each subsequent week you increase the percentage slightly (i.e. week two is 65, 75, 85, 85) but decrease the reps by 1 (so 4 sets of 4 reps). Week three increase percentage again, and drop to 3 reps. On week four, lower the weight to 40%, 50%, 60 and 60, but increase reps to 10 for each set.
I actually like and implement your approach when I'm chasing numbers. I'll add 5 lbs. a week to my 1RM until I hit my ceiling. On each of my 1RM days, my diet is completely dirty. I need all of the calories that I can muster. Eating right for the type of lifting you plan to do is as important as the exercises themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I actually like and implement your approach when I'm chasing numbers. I'll add 5 lbs. a week to my 1RM until I hit my ceiling. On each of my 1RM days, my diet is completely dirty. I need all of the calories that I can muster. Eating right for the type of lifting you plan to do is as important as the exercises themselves.
Same. I can't physically eat that much low calorie food, so when I need to go big I usually wind up eating pretty nasty. I'm not a very big guy by any means, so I can only eat so much. I will still supplement by adding protein shakes. My go-to shake is almond milk, a big scoop of non-fat greek yogurt, a spoon of natural peanut butter, half of a banana, and chocolate whey protein powder. Blend it up and bam!

Another of my favorites is a spoon of chia seeds, a spoon of flax seed meal, non-fat greek yogurt, half a banana, half of an avocado, a scoop of protein powder, and a scoop of antioxidant powder. You can put all that in a bullet blender cup at night, then in the morning fill it with some almond milk and blend. Instant minute breakfast.
      07-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, but a lot of them dont want to eat like one. most of my friends say they gym, but they llook the same months after months.
      07-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #29
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
It depends on what you want to do for that day. I'd recommend low volume heavy sets. For example, some days I'll squat 225 lbs. for reps. Other days I might do sets of 3 @ 375 lbs. (..and only drop down to 225 lbs. after I've exhausted myself to the point where I can only rep 375 lbs. once). Spend more time in lower rep - 2 to 4 reps - range with heavier weight. Don't worry about sets per se. If you get through 4 sets of low rep/heavy weight and still feel like you have plenty of gas, keep on going.

If your traps are lacking, overhead press more.
+1
Whether you're bulking or cutting, lift heavy
OHP's are great. I get a good burn in my traps when I deadlift as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Same. I can't physically eat that much low calorie food, so when I need to go big I usually wind up eating pretty nasty. I'm not a very big guy by any means, so I can only eat so much. I will still supplement by adding protein shakes. My go-to shake is almond milk, a big scoop of non-fat greek yogurt, a spoon of natural peanut butter, half of a banana, and chocolate whey protein powder. Blend it up and bam!

Another of my favorites is a spoon of chia seeds, a spoon of flax seed meal, non-fat greek yogurt, half a banana, half of an avocado, a scoop of protein powder, and a scoop of antioxidant powder. You can put all that in a bullet blender cup at night, then in the morning fill it with some almond milk and blend. Instant minute breakfast.
I wish 99% of the protein supplements didn't give me gas or cause bloating. I used to force myself to drink them, but I ultimately had to stop. I looked and felt worse on supplements. The Magic Bullet is the best blending invention yet. Love that thing!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, but a lot of them dont want to eat like one. most of my friends say they gym, but they llook the same months after months.
That, and they spend so much time doing bullshit exercises. I try not to be "that guy" in the gym, but there are times where I want to ask guys, "Why the hell are you doing that?"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah and people who lift like they are at that advanced level already. Too much of a split, to much isolation and too damn complicated instead of focusing on the basics and sticking to their beginner/intermediate level.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
That, and they spend so much time doing bullshit exercises. I try not to be "that guy" in the gym, but there are times where I want to ask guys, "Why the hell are you doing that?"
Or the crossfitters that want to use regular gym equipment in my gym. Go back to your "box" to do that stuff.
      07-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Yeah and people who lift like they are at that advanced level already. Too much of a split, too much isolation and too damn complicated instead of focusing on the basics and sticking to their beginner/intermediate level.
+3

It's the damn magazines selling "Get Big Quick!" workout plans with models who are on steroids promoting them. I was able to discern pretty quickly what was bullshit and what was legitimate. It surprises me that the guys don't come to similar conclusions when they look the exact same - or worse - after 12 months of lifting. My favorite one, "I'm doing lighter weight/higher reps to cut up." Yeah, not with that diet buddy! Rep all you want, it won't change a thing.

Quote:
Or the crossfitters that want to use regular gym equipment in my gym. Go back to your "box" to do that stuff.

The CFer's that do muscle-ups on pull-up bars are annoying as hell.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #35
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Don't worry about sets per se. If you get through 4 sets of low rep/heavy weight and still feel like you have plenty of gas, keep on going.
Yeah, I never even considered this before last week

I've been lifting for 4 months, wondering why my results seem so minimal given that I eat right, follow a pretty good routine. No shit, I don't even lift to failure. Just stop when my reps are over.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #36
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i know what you talking about, i see it everyday at the gym. and the half rep crap people do, aka tricep iso exercises. i m not a form hippie but dam u really have to fully extend on some of the tricep exercises.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #37
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Yeah, I never even considered this before last week

I've been lifting for 4 months, wondering why my results seem so minimal given that I eat right, follow a pretty good routine. No shit, I don't even lift to failure. Just stop when my reps are over.
I expect to see a whole new squishy in 4 months time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #38
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I expect to see a whole new squishy in 4 months time.
His username will have to be "NotSquishy"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
i know what you talking about, i see it everyday at the gym. and the half rep crap people do, aka tricep iso exercises. i m not a form hippie but dam u really have to fully extend on some of the tricep exercises.
I know right!?? I become a huge form Nazi when it comes to squats though. When a dude tells me he's putting up big numbers (..and doesn't have the physique to support the statement), my eyebrows automatically raise and my BS meter becomes alert. I immediately resort to questions about depth. I lost a solid 75 lbs. on my squat alone when I went from the "parallel" camp to the "ass-to-grass" camp. The squatters that don't even hit parallel, but who have 315 lbs. on the bar and claim to squat 315, make me laugh. It took me awhile to get my numbers back up. When I started going ass-to-grass, I dropped all the way down to 135 lbs. and worked back up. It's amazing what a difference an extra 5 or 6 inches makes. I can ATG 390 for 1 rep right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
His username will have to be "NotSquishy"

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-17-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #40
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Ok, now I know who not to pick a fit with IRL
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #41
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
What are the bullshit exercises?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
What are the bullshit exercises?
Even a well articulated description couldn't describe the things that I've seen in the gym Danny, BUT I did tape a few videos awhile ago of some gym goers who amused me. Ultimate creeper status......

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #43
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Even a well articulated description couldn't describe the things that I've seen in the gym Danny, BUT I did tape a few videos awhile ago of some gym goers who amused me. Ultimate creeper status......

lol at that hamstring curl, exactly what i meant. u really have to curl that and squeeze
      07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
lol at that hamstring curl, exactly what i meant. u really have to curl that and squeeze
The only notable change that guy has achieved in a year & a half is fat loss due to the extensive amounts of cardio he does. Muscle and strength gains are nil.
Appreciate 0