New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

07-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #485
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IT admin has rows of filing racks?????
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #486
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I've been seeing an increased number of people not even trying to hide the texting and driving, but holding the phone up right above the steering wheel, and still swerving.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #487
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

IT admin offices are often used as storage areas. Trust me on this.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #488
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I've been seeing an increased number of people not even trying to hide the texting and driving, but holding the phone up right above the steering wheel, and still swerving.
It won't stop until they start punishing people who get into accidents while texting the same way they do with drunks. Some girl here killed a kid on a bike while downloading ringtones and got 6 months probation. If she had been drunk, she'd have been gone for 6 years.

That said, there are still drunk driving incidents all the time, so who knows if that'll stop people from texting.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #489
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It won't stop until they start punishing people who get into accidents while texting the same way they do with drunks. Some girl here killed a kid on a bike while downloading ringtones and got 6 months probation. If she had been drunk, she'd have been gone for 6 years.

That said, there are still drunk driving incidents all the time, so who knows if that'll stop people from texting.
It would never reach that point, I don't believe. Everyone is getting a slap on the wrist, hell even first time DUI offenders can get off way too easily. I'm on my bike most days, I really don't feel like getting tossed off by someone who can't wait to send a text message.

It won't stop, unfortunately. Everyone has the mentality of "it will never happen to me!"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #490
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IT admin offices are often used as storage areas. Trust me on this.
I've been IT Admin for 20+ years. I only have 2 drawers in my desk, and a small 2-drawer file on the other side of the office where I have to keep PO forms and such. Server room has 2 upper cabinets to keep (aging) copies of software in their box. Slowly transitioning to Dell software download for the new machines.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #491
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

My wife’s 2013 Santa Fe doesn’t send her any “audible” messages to her iPhone notifying her of any text messages coming through when she’s in the car. Somehow Bluetooth disabled it. She can see the popup but it will not vibrate or alarm her. While parked, I had her send me a text as I sat in the passenger seat and mine will send me the audible message. Maybe that’s Hyundai’s way of saying eyes on the road. Hats off to Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #492
charlespe
Rep
n/a
Drives:

My wife's best friend. She is a really annoying person and freaks the hell out of me when she opens her mouth
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #493
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've been IT Admin for 20+ years. I only have 2 drawers in my desk, and a small 2-drawer file on the other side of the office where I have to keep PO forms and such. Server room has 2 upper cabinets to keep (aging) copies of software in their box. Slowly transitioning to Dell software download for the new machines.
The office at my last IT admin job doubled as the server room. I was horrified when I got there and heard all that noise. My desk was a tiny island in a sea of junk and servers. It took me a few months, but I finally got them to build a real server room and move stuff out. At least filing cabinets don't make noise or create heat.

My new office is huge and comfy. No more hands on stuff either, which is the best part.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #494
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

No more hands on??? Then how can you manipulate the firewall and web filter to allow your machine to get thru??????

I still spend some days almost exclusively in the server room, but I hang my HP hoodie (They Let Me Out) on the door for both heat and noise protection. Sometimes I take it over to the PD side for use in their server room. People often mistake me for the Uni-Bomber (chief's favorite nickname) or else CI leaving the station.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #495
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
IT admin has rows of filing racks?????
To answer this and other relevant topics... This place doesn't have a dedicated server; all the main machinery is in a 2' × 8' area in the central office, which only has the main AT&T U-Verse router, a switch and NAS intertwined with the phone/PBX modules... And since schools are notorious cheapos, they don't intend to update it despite warning them that it won't be up to capacity when classes are reinstated after the accreditation/restructuring process is finished. My desk is also located in the first office with 3 other similar desks (but no 2nd table) in front of me but I got the best one () because I used this to work on reviving 3 computers at the same time; 3 days ago this desk looked like something out of The Matrix.

I was initially hired by contract to bring their ancient POS XP machines up to a decent amount of speed by adding RAM and installing Win7 + MSO2010, which I promised them 2 weeks but managed to finish in 4 days, which got me enough clout to get hired as a full-on, but here's the frustrating part...

So, I get a nice desk with an important-sounding title that somehow involves the word "dean" for the purpose of expediting the accreditation process... With no extra pay. I'm a very impatient guy and dread teaching people stuff, especially if it's basic stuff like making something bold or italic in MS Word... But I'm going to be an instructor starting next Wednesday for no extra pay here either . BUT... So far life is pretty peachy and it at least gets the bills paid otherwise, albeit just barely and I'm still looking either more work or a even a new job/source of income in the mean time.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 07-25-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #496
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Ah, job title inflation. It's a wondrous thing. Like you say, though, doesn't do much towards paying the bills.

I actually have three job titles. There's the state employee job classification (which encompasses a lot of positions), then there's my university job classification, (one of four slots in the university), then there's my job title within the college. In a nutshell I'm the technology adviser for the college of sciences. We have 11 departments and 180 faculty members and I'm the one they come to for any tech related advice. It makes for a very diverse working environment. Lots of big picture stuff that's actually quite enjoyable. Best job I've ever had.

Two weeks ago I was managing the videotaping of chemistry demos for the state board of education. Last week I was at a conference for our learning management system. Next week I'll be working with two local hospitals to set up a secure videoconferencing system for some remote patient counseling sessions. It's different every week. Never dull.

Here's some shots I took at the chemistry demos.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 07-25-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #497
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Ah, job title inflation. It's a wondrous thing. Like you say, though, doesn't do much towards paying the bills.
No it does not. But as a resume builder, it does wonders.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #498
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Automatic car drivers, they are really pissing me off right now, looking at a couple car options and my only real requirement is they be manual. Love watching the results go from 88 to 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #499
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
No it does not. But as a resume builder, it does wonders.
True. Driving force behind the Peter Principle.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #500
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Automatic car drivers, they are really pissing me off right now, looking at a couple car options and my only real requirement is they be manual. Love watching the results go from 88 to 1.
You mean the "Build Your [car name here]" widgets? I agree. Not a lot of transmission options.

On the other hand, we're heading to the UK in September for two weeks and I'm trying to find a decent slushbox to rent. I can handle driving on the left, but shifting with my left hand is another story.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #501
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
True. Driving force behind the Peter Principle.
Lol this is why I tend to have candidates demonstrate the abilities they're touting. "Sounds nice, but prove it" essentially
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #502
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You mean the "Build Your [car name here]" widgets? I agree. Not a lot of transmission options.

On the other hand, we're heading to the UK in September for two weeks and I'm trying to find a decent slushbox to rent. I can handle driving on the left, but shifting with my left hand is another story.
Shifting with your left hand is different. I used to work at a jeep dealership years ago and we had plenty of right hand drive "postal" wranglers come through. They were fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #503
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
When 91 octane is $4.25 a gallon at the lowest for top tier here in SoCal, I use GasBuddy to comparison shop. I had to stop in an industrial part of Norwalk for gas, and people only add the price for 87 octane and leave 89 and 91blank. Umm... It only takes 3 seconds to be more considerate, not to mention not all gas stations go up in the usual 10¢ per octane level.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #504
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
When 91 octane is $4.25 a gallon at the lowest for top tier here in SoCal, I use GasBuddy to comparison shop. I had to stop in an industrial part of Norwalk for gas, and people only add the price for 87 octane and leave 89 and 91blank. Umm... It only takes 3 seconds to be more considerate, not to mention not all gas stations go up in the usual 10¢ per octane level.
Wow, that's expensive. I hate that there is no set difference between regular in premium.

Here in Wisconsin, regular is $3.45/gallon and 91/93 is $3.85. Sometimes there's more than a $0.40 difference and sometimes it's less. It makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #505
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Posting threads in the wrong forum.

The posting of 7 duplicate threads, right above 7 existing threads covering the same topic.

That's about it.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #506
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Posting threads in the wrong forum.

The posting of 7 duplicate threads, right above 7 existing threads covering the same topic.

That's about it.
Wow, that's pretty Zen. Practically in Nirvana if that's all that gets to you.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread