New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I always laugh when I see footage of the DJ's at a live event like Ultra or some other drug induced festival. Headphones on and pressing all sorts of buttons and knobs and it seems like nothing is happening. Pretty sure they are just playing an mp3 from their computers and then pretending to "DJ" so they aren't just standing there like a tool since they dont play instruments.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I always laugh when I see footage of the DJ's at a live event like Ultra or some other drug induced festival. Headphones on and pressing all sorts of buttons and knobs and it seems like nothing is happening. Pretty sure they are just playing an mp3 from their computers and then pretending to "DJ" so they aren't just standing there like a tool since they dont play instruments.
The art of DJ's.

Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Just to add on to your example of these tool DJ's. Ultra music festival brought $79M in 6 days to the economy of South Florida.

These DJ's actually create jobs, 915 of them. Think about that.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/03/18...y-the-numbers/

Last edited by Uber V8; 07-22-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

It's no secret that tons of producers play pre-recorded sets.

I believe it costs 200-300k to book dudes like Hardwell, Tiesto, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc.

At the end of the day, they pack the floor get paid your annual salary in an hour or two.

Pretty sure those "tools" are the ones having the last laugh.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Just to add on to your example of these tool DJ's. Ultra music festival brought $79M in 6 days to the economy of South Florida.

These DJ's actually create jobs, 915 of them. Think about that.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/03/18...y-the-numbers/
It also gave the Geology students at the University of Miami something to do. UMF registered on their seismographs a few times
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Wow a lot of angry DJ lovers on here. I never said they didn't make a ton of money. I don't care how much they make. It's not my thing at all and I'm just ripping on the whole scene. So take some Molly and chill out.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #29
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow a lot of angry DJ lovers on here. I never said they didn't make a ton of money. I don't care how much they make. It's not my thing at all and I'm just ripping on the whole scene. So take some Molly and chill out.
Where is the love?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #30
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Been DJing since 2k5 before the whole 'EDM SCENE' arrived in the USA. Since about 2k11 i dont mention to people about my side job/hobby unless i am friends with them.

First thing people think when you say 'im a dj' is not an imagine i want to really portray of myself these days unfortunately. Everyone wants to be a dj these days, even if they dont know anything about music, or care about it.

Its just a image thing, most people want to just be 'cool' and be a superstar DJ.

Damn i hate the people who like 3 years ago 'I HATE TECHNO OMG SO GAY' suddenly it is the 'in' thing and its 'IM DJING AT SO AND SO, COME GET AT ME CUZ MY SHIT IS FIRE'

Like.. what even? I hate those people so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #31
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I was a DJ back in the day. Made some pretty good money which put me through college. I miss the days of Technique 1200 turntables and Vinyl
this statement is legit. Nothing against EDM but I used to spin vinyl where you actually need skills...no button mashing needed.

I had the 1200 M3Ds paired with a vestax and some Shure M447s.
      07-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Been DJing since 2k5 before the whole 'EDM SCENE' arrived in the USA. Since about 2k11 i dont mention to people about my side job/hobby unless i am friends with them.

First thing people think when you say 'im a dj' is not an imagine i want to really portray of myself these days unfortunately. Everyone wants to be a dj these days, even if they dont know anything about music, or care about it.

Its just a image thing, most people want to just be 'cool' and be a superstar DJ.

Damn i hate the people who like 3 years ago 'I HATE TECHNO OMG SO GAY' suddenly it is the 'in' thing and its 'IM DJING AT SO AND SO, COME GET AT ME CUZ MY SHIT IS FIRE'

Like.. what even? I hate those people so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
this statement is legit. Nothing against EDM but I used to spin vinyl where you actually need skills...no button mashing needed.

I had the 1200 M3Ds paired with a vestax and some Shure M447s.
Wakka,what up! haven't seen you in a while.

I agree with you guys and as a music producer I'm looking for something to play and mix my beats. Any recommendations?

Def not trying to be some superstar DJ, just looking for a platform to play my music and be able to blend my songs from one to another over a 15 minute set.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #33
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wakka,what up! haven't seen you in a while.

I agree with you guys and as a music producer I'm looking for something to play and mix my beats. Any recommendations?

Def not trying to be some superstar DJ, just looking for a platform to play my music and be able to blend my songs from one to another over a 15 minute set.
Word. Nothing against the people who want to truely grow, love music. Its the people who like it because its the flavor of the decade that i hate. I remember i used to wish dance music would really take off in the USA back in the day. I used the think 'how awesome would it be if all my friends liked the same music as me?'

boy how f'in wrong was i. I regret ever wishing that.

As for learning how to better yourself as a DJ... besides practice practice practice, the Pioneer DJ sounds show (and some other online shows) are absolutely a paramount part of my learning process. Watching how the pros DJ, from song selection, to beat matching, to all their little quirks and tricks. Pay attention to these videos and you can seriously learn something:

Do yourself a favor and skip to 8:19 as it seems youtube has blocked the first song. (I didnt even know they did that.)

Happy learnin one of the best stress relieving activities i have ever encountered.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #34
SaM335ic
USMC Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 JKU and 2013 F30 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
I like EDM and not bashing on DJ's, if I was coordinated enough I would try it out but thought I would share this for the shits and giggles.

Sold* 2010 335i with Active Autowerke cat-less DP's, Cat-back exhaust, CP, and BOV, AFE stage 2 sealed intake, JB4 G5, BMS OCC, BMS oil cooler valve, Alpina Transmission flash and other misc coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Word. Nothing against the people who want to truely grow, love music. Its the people who like it because its the flavor of the decade that i hate. I remember i used to wish dance music would really take off in the USA back in the day. I used the think 'how awesome would it be if all my friends liked the same music as me?'

boy how f'in wrong was i. I regret ever wishing that.

As for learning how to better yourself as a DJ... besides practice practice practice, the Pioneer DJ sounds show (and some other online shows) are absolutely a paramount part of my learning process. Watching how the pros DJ, from song selection, to beat matching, to all their little quirks and tricks. Pay attention to these videos and you can seriously learn something:

Do yourself a favor and skip to 8:19 as it seems youtube has blocked the first song. (I didnt even know they did that.)

Happy learnin one of the best stress relieving activities i have ever encountered.

Thanks for sharing but I'm not really looking to become a better DJ! I'm just looking for an intermediate DJ setup. I've spoke with GC and I think I'll go with the TK S4.

I am a basic DJ just looking to play my beats during these upcoming beat battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaM335ic View Post
I like EDM and not bashing on DJ's, if I was coordinated enough I would try it out but thought I would share this for the shits and giggles.
That was pretty funny haha
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #36
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing but I'm not really looking to become a better DJ! I'm just looking for an intermediate DJ setup. I've spoke with GC and I think I'll go with the TK S4.

I am a basic DJ just looking to play my beats during these upcoming beat battles.

That was pretty funny haha
S4 will be fine with what youre lookin for.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaM335ic View Post
Haha, so accurate. Love it.

Appreciate 0