New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #45
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Take the job. Become indispensable. When you sign up for your next year of college, give notice and suggest that you might stay if they can give you a part time job around your class schedule.

Working while in college is tough but doable if you don't party too much and plan your time well. That way you get out with less (or no) student debt and a lot of experience.

Go for it!
The university I am going to is in the City.

So, I'll only be able to work at the dealership in the summer if the GSM is cool with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #46
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Yup, Schaumburg Toyota on golf road right in front of the Mercedes dealership.

That is a big ass dealer

That's the thing I am afraid of. Big dealerships don't train employees well. They just toss them out and expect them to start selling. I only sold cars for 6 months. Majority of the time I was in BDC. Basically, the guy that responds to customers' emails and inquiries.
Yup, I know exactly where you're talking about. I used to live in schaumburg.

I can definitely understand your reservations but hey whats the worst that can happen? You know youre going back to school and it doesnt sound like this dealer is your career goal so either way take it. Take something away from it and apply it towards the next phase in your professional journey.
      03-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #47
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
The university I am going to is in the City.

So, I'll only be able to work at the dealership in the summer if the GSM is cool with it.
That's great. Just work really hard so when the time comes, the GSM will want to work with you.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      03-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #48
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Yup, I know exactly where you're talking about. I used to live in schaumburg.

I can definitely understand your reservations but hey whats the worst that can happen? You know youre going back to school and it doesnt sound like this dealer is your career goal so either way take it. Take something away from it and apply it towards the next phase in your professional journey.
That true. I'll talk to the GSM about a BDC position. I asked him about that on the phone but all he said was, "I can tell you this, sale people make way more than what BDC does." Man, idc I'm only going to be working there for 3-4 months

Idk how confident I am in actually selling cars.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #49
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Dude, you're all over the place...

First off, there are extremely low margins in the world of Toyota new car sales. This will be more a volume play more than anything else. If they have a strong pre-owned inventory you'll have a much easier time making money on that side of the fence instead, but that all depends on if/how those deals are structured (with respect to sales territory, etc.). Otherwise be prepared to spend 8 hrs of your day trying to convince someone cross shopping RAV-4s and CRVs why you deserve their ~$250 worth of commission vs the guy across the street.

Having spent my fair share of college years working part-time for multiple car dealerships, if you're successful early on they'll work with you on scheduling. Saturday's, for instance, during months with nice weather are obviously peak times where no one would turn down help from good sales staff.

Speaking of which, if you're in tech, what about internet car sales for that specific dealership? Or even fleet sales? That will likely be less stressful than having to deal with ups and you'll likely close deals faster without the hassle and will also look more relevant on your resume.

Either way, this is obviously a decent opportunity, however you'll need to look at it more as an internship/experience builder as opposed to a path that shapes your future career.

What are you plans after you graduate? With respect to those plans, why not look for an internship and/or developmental role with a company in that industry instead? I'm sure a more meaningful opportunity in that sector is available if you look hard enough.

CN: take the job, without compromising your ability to finish school on time & figure the rest out as it comes
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983940.50
TiMSport12803.00
      03-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #50
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Dude, you're all over the place...

First off, there are extremely low margins in the world of Toyota new car sales. This will be more a volume play more than anything else. If they have a strong pre-owned inventory you'll have a much easier time making money on that side of the fence instead, but that all depends on if/how those deals are structured (with respect to sales territory, etc.). Otherwise be prepared to spend 8 hrs of your day trying to convince someone cross shopping RAV-4s and CRVs why you deserve their ~$250 worth of commission vs the guy across the street.

Having spent my fair share of college years working part-time for multiple car dealerships, if you're successful early on they'll work with you on scheduling. Saturday's, for instance, during months with nice weather are obviously peak times where no one would turn down help from good sales staff.

Speaking of which, if you're in tech, what about internet car sales for that specific dealership? Or even fleet sales? That will likely be less stressful than having to deal with ups and you'll likely close deals faster without the hassle and will also look more relevant on your resume.

Either way, this is obviously a decent opportunity, however you'll need to look at it more as an internship/experience builder as opposed to a path that shapes your future career.

What are you plans after you graduate? With respect to those plans, why not look for an internship and/or developmental role with a company in that industry instead? I'm sure a more meaningful opportunity in that sector is available if you look hard enough.

CN: take the job, without compromising your ability to finish school on time & figure the rest out as it comes
You're not wrong. If I take the sales consultant position I will have 0 time for class (the remaining classes for this semester) and if I decide to take a summer class I won't have time to do any work for that summer class.

I don't really want to sit and sell cars my whole life. You're not guaranteed to make $200k/year. One year you might make $100k the next you'll make $50k or so. It's not going to bring home a stable income.

My plan is to get an internship in the summer before my last semester at the 4-year university. Preferably in Texas, since I plan on finding a job after I get my degree and settling there. An internship in Texas could give me the opportunity to check out the land, house values, and other things considered when moving.

Dealerships hire a boatload of people, telling each and everyone "I am really impressed with your resume!" Short order cook? WOW! YOU PROBABLY KNOW FOLKS IN THE KITCHEN WHO DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH AND WE CAN SELL THEM A USED CAMRY AT AN INSANE PRICE! Nanny? TERRIFIC! Drug dealer? YOU KNOW FOLKS WITH $$$!

It's basically a hiring game. They'll hire a bunch of ppl and whoever makes it out the keep them. Whoever doesn't, bye-bye. I had this happen to me at the Honda Dealership I worked at for 3 months. I got hired on sight with 0 sales experience. Fired after 3 months because I didn't meet the sales goal.

Internet sales are easier, you just email and call x amounts of ppl a day. If they come in you get $X amount of money and a $X amount if the salesperson sells the car.

I'll call the GSM Monday and let him know that I am looking for a BDC(internet) position. If he has a BDC position available, I'll come in for an interview. If not, I'll have to pass on this opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #51
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Didn't read all the comments. My two cents based off what I did read.

GSM was a sales person at one point. He needs to fill a position and wants to push cars out the door. Are you starting to get the feeling that you've been "sold" a job? Do your research. I was in sales for years, was also a retail sales manager and a district supervisor. Want some honesty? You might make $65-70k/year if you dedicate yourself and live, eat, breathe and shit Toyota. GSM's are notorious for selling jobs to young people. Remember he didn't offer you the position to help you, he offered it to make more money for himself. He likes you for the position because you can increase his cash flow. Working part time selling cars will not benefit you. The other sharks on the lot, that are there full time, will eat you alive. Stay your course, get your education, it's the only thing that can't be taken from you.

Also, your parents are wrong. An education isn't the way out of the slums; money is. A degree and a job are not the only requirements for obtaining money. Some of the richest people I know are uneducated and complete idiots.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983940.50
      03-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #52
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Didn't read all the comments. My two cents based off what I did read.

GSM was a sales person at one point. He needs to fill a position and wants to push cars out the door. Are you starting to get the feeling that you've been "sold" a job? Do your research. I was in sales for years, was also a retail sales manager and a district supervisor. Want some honesty? You might make $65-70k/year if you dedicate yourself and live, eat, breathe and shit Toyota. GSM's are notorious for selling jobs to young people. Remember he didn't offer you the position to help you, he offered it to make more money for himself. He likes you for the position because you can increase his cash flow. Working part time selling cars will not benefit you. The other sharks on the lot, that are there full time, will eat you alive. Stay your course, get your education, it's the only thing that can't be taken from you.

Also, your parents are wrong. An education isn't the way out of the slums; money is. A degree and a job are not the only requirements for obtaining money. Some of the richest people I know are uneducated and complete idiots.

Tried telling them that, but they're stuck on that. I can give them a great example pf my sister to them

College doesn't guarantee a good-paying job or that you're smarter than other people. You're just smart in the field you studied in. Other than that, you don't know shit.

9 years in college but won't last a week in the real world. She'll get finessed out of her pockets.

I'm not taking the sales job. I'll call the GSM Monday and let him know if he has an internet sales position I'll come in for an interview. If not, I'll just thank him for the opportunity and move on.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00