New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Beemer12
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

BMWoozeled Again

I purchased a used 2011 Z4 that was satellite radio prepped (no navigation), but since it was manufactured before September 2010, you cannot add satellite radio to the car even if you replace the head (radio) unit which is on international hold. I contacted my servicing dealer and we all thought you could purchase the chip, pull the radio to add the chip, and reprogram the car. The total cost would be around $800. If the head unit (radio) was not satellite ready, the BMW NA web site showed the components you would have to purchase plus the labor, etc.;approximately $1500. Remember this is a 2011 BMW Z4 that has been satellite prepped. You can purchase a low end Japaneese and Korean automobile that comes with satellite radio installed at no extra cost and all you have to do is activate it; you can even get up to 1 year free. My car stickered at $63k and those others at $20k; go figure.

I asked BMW NA customer service what they could do for me, and all they could tell me is that satellite radio cannot be installed in any 2011 pre September 2010 Z4 at this time because the head unit (radio) is not available. Interesting since the same head unit (radio) I would need is being installed in the production Z4s as I write this. My servicing dealer told me that if my head unit failed, he would have to call Germany for a head unit that is not available through the system; then I could but the chip and activate satellite radio.

BMW must believe we are all stupid. BMWoozled again.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Mine is an '09 with Satellite and no nav, what's the diff between the radios ? aren't they the same? I was under the impression that the cars were basically the same. Point being, why can't you install a radio from an 09 or 10 model.

I also have a Z3 and an early Z4 , I put a Sirius kit in the Z3 last Saturday. It's a windshield mount, tucked into the left hand corner of the dash and not in the way at all. I have the same radio in my Pickup, I tuck the wires under the trim and run the power the same way. The same radio unit plugs into the dock in each vehicle and I only pay for one radio (two if you count the one built into my E89 )

The first radio cost $85 in the pickup and the second one (I bought the radio for less than a "Car Install Kit) was $74. I now have a spare radio unit and two sirius setups with one user fee, all for $159.....think about it.

Last edited by mcbeee; 04-05-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Satelite and no Nav in ours.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Beemer12
United_States
Rep

I have no idea why I can't go back to an earlier Z4, but the dealer isn't offering that option. I've decided to install an XM receiver in the arm rest pugged into the audio input and power source. There a unit that will fit in the area next to the cup holders. I'll have run an antenna. Nothing will be seen in car. The cost is under $30. What you lose is you have to open the arm rest to change the channel. $30 versus $800+.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer12 View Post
I have no idea why I can't go back to an earlier Z4, but the dealer isn't offering that option. I've decided to install an XM receiver in the arm rest pugged into the audio input and power source. There a unit that will fit in the area next to the cup holders. I'll have run an antenna. Nothing will be seen in car. The cost is under $30. What you lose is you have to open the arm rest to change the channel. $30 versus $800+.
Just make sure you get the Sat receiver that comes along with a RF remote (sirius has them, not sure about XM) and you will not have to open the arm rest to change channels.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Beemer12
United_States
Rep

The only receiver that would fit is an XM Sportsman. I installed it with the antenna on the edge of the defroster vent. It has a clear view except when driving south. I am in SW Florida and with the car headed south, there can be some blanking of the signal. The satellites must be focused on the middle and northern sections of the US. There is no other place for the antenna except where the factory antenna is due to the movement of the roof and trunk. The other issue is the volume. With the receiver volume set the highest and the aux on the radio set the highest, the radio is hard to hear with the top down. The remote for the receiver has to see the receiver to change the channel. This really isn't a problem since I've set the Favorites. The total was $30. It isn't the best, but approximately $800 cheaper than adding on if that could be done.
Appreciate 0