New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-24-2023, 10:02 AM   #1
ToplessZ4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 30i

Unhappy BMW Z4 Hardtop Issues/OBD2 scanner Recommendation

Hello, on one random misty night when trying to put my convertible top back up the rear shell failed to lock into place and I was met with an annoying red blinking light and chimes, showing a red image of a convertible. The rear shell was not fully connected when driving home and was moving around. Fast forwarding, the only way I managed to get rid of this was by slamming the rear shell in and holding the converible "close" button. I tried again the next day to open the top and it worked but when closing, the top shell failed to lock into the windshield locks and same with the rear shell. I applied pressure and pressed the button and both (slowly with some creaking noise) managed to poorly lock into place.

I want to try this project on my own but first I need to find the root of the problem. The OBD2 scanner I have does not show any Convertible module codes so first things first, what affordable and reliable scanner do you guys recomend, preferably something 50-200$ bucks thats able to read this module.

Symptoms: Red Convertible image on the dash with blinking red lights by the convertible button.

Rear shell and top Shell poorly lock into place.

I believe its a microswitch or hall sensor but im not a pro and also dont have codes to help me back up this statement.

*Also, I changed the salmon relays like 2 years ago and idk if I should change again but this symptom is much different than what I experienced with the relays where the process of opening and closing would fully stop halfway in.

Any advise/tips is extremely helpful! Recommended OBD2 SCANNERS??
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 03:18 PM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

BimmerCode or Bimmergeeks Protool work on smartphones…Protool only on Android..Foxwell 520 is a dedicated unit..there are others..

I have ISTA BMWs old but useful laptop version plus Protool …which I use a cheap Chinese ruggedised Android for the car and a Foxwell..which seems to do some jobs that Protool won’t do..

IMHO a portable unit carried in the car is useful as when something goes wrong on a trip you have a fighting chance to troubleshoot and maybe get yourself home..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #3
ToplessZ4
Registered
Rep

Ok, I recently purchased an OBD2 Adapter and used Bimmerlink which gave an error code.
ERROR CODE- A68D (Hall Sensor VSW2.5)

Any guides on how to tackle this problem??
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToplessZ4 View Post
Ok, I recently purchased an OBD2 Adapter and used Bimmerlink which gave an error code.
ERROR CODE- A68D (Hall Sensor VSW2.5)

Any guides on how to tackle this problem??
Not good see this thread…

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116205
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
ToplessZ4
Registered
Rep

Also, when clearing the code the convertible opened up normally. When closing, the top shell locked into place and the rear shell remained on top. When pressing the button the rear shell would slightly jump up, but then begin to beep and slowly fall back down on top of the top shell. The only way I was able to get the rear shell to close was by pushing hard in the middle once I pressed the "convertible close" button and it struggled but managed to get over the stop point and complete the closing and lock in.
Appreciate 0